Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice video. I have a question for anyone from the area. I think a bunch of us are heading up there for the 4th of July long weekend. I got my brother in law into riding and his family is from the Jay Peak area (we all live in MA now). He's never been riding up there but seems to think that the actual Jay Peak Mountain runs it's service to the top of the mountain and allows riding in the summer.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, is it any good? I know we'll be pretty close to Kingdom Trails and I think we'll be there for at least a day, but I'd like to try a few locations while we're up there. I've been riding for a few years and love the technical stuff but the group heading up will run the spectrum in terms of ability. Obviously, like everyone else, the more singletrack, the better.

Sorry for the lengthy post and if this question has been answered before. I did run a search prior to posting and didn't really see anything about Jay Peak itself, only trails around it. Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nope!

Jay Peak Resort, many years ago, provided lift service mountain biking via the Tram(way). But, no longer. I don't even THINK that they allow/maintain bike trails on their cross-country ski trails. Give 'em a call to confirm: 802-988-2611

Mountain Biking in the area is almost entirely the domain of the Montgomery Mountain Bike Association. They are supported by a local bike shop with two locations. Search for the MMBA.

Enjoy the trip! Jay is really pushing their new golf course if that is what you do.

Any more questions?

·
Registered
343 Posts
They used to run the tram for mtn biking years ago and it never really took off. I don't believe they do it anymore and have not for a few seasons. BigJay has been posting about riding up there...search for his posts. For info I'd talk to firsttrax shop in Montgomery. http://firsttrax.net/ I haven't ridden there recently but the riding was fun.

If you are after lift accessed you might try Bromont in Quebec.

KTA has plenty to offer for a few days though.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
I got my first mountain bike ride on the trails at Jay back in 92-93... Back then, they had a summer race series. The riding was alright for the time... I remember back in the mid-late 90s, Don (from First Trax who use to be in charge of the mountain biking program) wanted to build singletrack in the woods of jay... They did one trail in "Moonwalk"... but Don wanted a trail going through "Canyon Land". Project went down when they decided to replace the cables on the tram... they had to close the tram through summer. The year after they put in the Flyer... so again, mountain biking was out of the question.

Since mountain biking as gone a long way and the trails in Jay and Montgomery are way more fun then what Jay Peak has... I sometimes go there... Climb on a lower kitz all the way up to the taxi... and then down the taxi back down... But it's a hard climb...

I've been bugging Jay Peak management to invest in a biking program... Peg from patrol rides... and so does a few people in management... so they do have people interested... And as everyone know, there golf might be great... but if Stowe thinks they blew money out for nothing... think how far Jay Peak is and how outdoor sports are gaining strenght while golf as been declining...

Trails connecting Jay to Montgomery would be really epic! It's a dream that might come true the way things are going right now with the incredible push from VMBA.

I know that everyone that comes up to Jay/Montgomery loves it... and they all come back... riding is great up here! Plus, there is tons of swimming holes to refresh yourself after a ride... You can go on all-day epics... or 5 mile technical loop... A pumptrack should be built pretty soon behind first trax... They have a few jumps and drops near "lot B" that they've been building... but they're a bit big for my taste!

Anyhow, did i mention the riding is great up here?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I was pretty sure you couldn't ride up on the actual mountain.

I'll have to get more information as to exactly where we'll be staying. Like I said, it's my brother in law's family that's up there and all I know is we'll be staying at their lake house. As soon as I find out more, I'll post again and hopefully you guys can point us in the right direction of some good stuff.

Based on that last response, I'm already getting pretty fired up.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.