Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a King ISO rear hub with an XT cassette on it. With the wheel on the bike and the quick release tightened, I have side to side play in the rear wheel. Basically, if I grab the top of the tire I can wiggle it back and forth. Engagement seems fine though.

Could it be my adjusting cones need to be tightened? I should also add that I have tightened the axle using two 5mm wrenches and everything seems to stay tight.

Lastly, I am not sure how long this has been going on. Am I doing damage to the drivetrain by riding it like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
I have a King ISO rear hub with an XT cassette on it. With the wheel on the bike and the quick release tightened, I have side to side play in the rear wheel. Basically, if I grab the top of the tire I can wiggle it back and forth. Engagement seems fine though.

Could it be my adjusting cones need to be tightened? I should also add that I have tightened the axle using two 5mm wrenches and everything seems to stay tight.

Lastly, I am not sure how long this has been going on. Am I doing damage to the drivetrain by riding it like this? Thanks.

You need to loosen the 5mm ones and than tighten the adjusting nut behind it, and than tighten the 5mm nut against that one.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
fiveohhh said:
You need to loosen the 5mm ones and than tighten the adjusting nut behind it, and than tighten the 5mm nut against that one.
The easiest way to be sure you are just tightening the adjusting cone is to completely separate the axel cap from the adjusting cone, tighten the adjusting cone onto the axel (finger tight is all you want), then install the axel cap and tighten back up. See the movie here...

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_movies/hub_r_fin_assy.mov

1 - 3 of 3 Posts