Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ride Instigator
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have developed an engagment problem with my rear hub that's only been in service 6 months (grrr).

I figure the problem lies in the ring drive area but I'm having trouble separating the drive shell asy from the rest of the hub. Per the manuals instructions, you remove the axle and the drive shell *should* just slide out of the hub shell....correct? I tried yanking...wiggling...cussing, but the drive shell wont come out. Am I missing something here? The instructions look simple enough :rolleyes: .

I looked on Kings website and they have some video (hub service) downloads but my 'puter has some mental problems these days and the videos won't work. I plan to give King a call tomorrow (Monday) but I thought I'd toss the question out here because I'm working on the hub today.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if anyone has any PICTURES of the internals of that hub...that would be awsome!
 

·
born again
Joined
·
652 Posts
Ricko said:
I seem to have developed an engagment problem with my rear hub that's only been in service 6 months (grrr).

I figure the problem lies in the ring drive area but I'm having trouble separating the drive shell asy from the rest of the hub. Per the manuals instructions, you remove the axle and the drive shell *should* just slide out of the hub shell....correct? I tried yanking...wiggling...cussing, but the drive shell wont come out. Am I missing something here? The instructions look simple enough :rolleyes: .

I looked on Kings website and they have some video (hub service) downloads but my 'puter has some mental problems these days and the videos won't work. I plan to give King a call tomorrow (Monday) but I thought I'd toss the question out here because I'm working on the hub today.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if anyone has any PICTURES of the internals of that hub...that would be awsome!
Once the axle is completely removed the drive shell just pulls off the hub body. It might help to wiggle the shell back and forth a little bit as you pull it off but it shouldn't be too hard to pull off. It won't fall off on it's own though and you definitely have to give it a bit of a pull. The King videos are very helpful, you need to download Quicktime to view them but its free.
 

·
Ride Instigator
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gearz said:
Once the axle is completely removed the drive shell just pulls off the hub body. It might help to wiggle the shell back and forth a little bit as you pull it off but it shouldn't be too hard to pull off. It won't fall off on it's own though and you definitely have to give it a bit of a pull. The King videos are very helpful, you need to download Quicktime to view them but its free.
I've really tried wiggling and yanking on the thing but it won't budge. Is there an area where I can squirt a little penetrating lube to free it up? It can't be seized up TOO bad cuz the hub is only 6-7 months old. Is there a spot I can tap fom the back side (with something plastic that won't damage) to help nudge it out?

I'l have to get over to my buds house to see the King video...my confoozer here has some SERIOUS brain problems...that's another thing I gotta fix:rolleyes:.
 

·
born again
Joined
·
652 Posts
Ricko said:
I've really tried wiggling and yanking on the thing but it won't budge. Is there an area where I can squirt a little penetrating lube to free it up? It can't be seized up TOO bad cuz the hub is only 6-7 months old. Is there a spot I can tap fom the back side (with something plastic that won't damage) to help nudge it out?

I'l have to get over to my buds house to see the King video...my confoozer here has some SERIOUS brain problems...that's another thing I gotta fix:rolleyes:.
I wouldn't try to force it off. I believe you said your drive engagement stopped working entirely which of course is not normal. My advice would be to talk to the King people on Monday. Someone else might have a better idea.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Just what was your engagement problem? The drive shell should come off fairly easily, but you do need to rock it just a bit as you tug it off, it should kinda pop off (and when you put it back on it clicks into place). I can't think of how else you'd get it off either. Penetrating oil shouldn't hurt it as long as you clean it up thoroughly after you get it open, but I've never had one not come off like you say. I couldn't go 2 months without servicing the CKs on my main bike, but that depends on how much you ride and in what conditions....
 

·
Ride Instigator
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Just what was your engagement problem? The drive shell should come off fairly easily, but you do need to rock it just a bit as you tug it off, it should kinda pop off (and when you put it back on it clicks into place). I can't think of how else you'd get it off either. Penetrating oil shouldn't hurt it as long as you clean it up thoroughly after you get it open, but I've never had one not come off like you say. I couldn't go 2 months without servicing the CKs on my main bike, but that depends on how much you ride and in what conditions....
The engagment problem I'm having is when you are coasting and go to start pedaling...you can move the pedals a couple of inchs before you engage the freehub. To describe differently, you can rotate the cranks maybe 1/12 of a turn before the freehub engages...VERY irritating:mad:.

I was with my bud yesterday and he has the same hub and his engages immediately...like a King should.

I'l give King a yell tomorrow and maybe they can shed some light, I have a spare wheel that I tossed on for now so at least the bike isn't dead in the water.
 

·
Ride Instigator
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Trick to It...

gearz said:
I wouldn't try to force it off. I believe you said your drive engagement stopped working entirely which of course is not normal. My advice would be to talk to the King people on Monday. Someone else might have a better idea.
I put a cassette on the freehub so I had something to get my fingers under to rock it and pop it off....it's amazing the ideas I've come up with while napping on that hammock out back;).

I didn't loose all engagment, it just doesn't engage instantly like it use to...almost feels like the old raggidy XT hub/wheel that I have on the bike now (temporarily) til I fix the King hub once and for all.
 

·
WAWE
Joined
·
1,437 Posts
Ricko said:
I put a cassette on the freehub so I had something to get my fingers under to rock it and pop it off....it's amazing the ideas I've come up with while napping on that hammock out back;).

I didn't loose all engagment, it just doesn't engage instantly like it use to...almost feels like the old raggidy XT hub/wheel that I have on the bike now (temporarily) til I fix the King hub once and for all.
When you remove it... clean it out... perhaps some grit is preventing it from engaging. If you're still having difficulty, call CK about replacing or upgrading the spring. They offer heavier springs for snappier and more positve engagement - for trials, etc.... I'm guessing it probably has slightly more drag.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top