Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some problems adjusting my rear CK iso hub. The wheel seems to spin too slowly and at first I was convinced it was brake rub but I have since, ruled that out. I think it is the hub adjustment and so I was wondering how much tension, or how close, do you adjust the adjustment cone (not sure what its called, but its the piece that contacts the bearings on the non-drive side of the hub that takes the special tool to adjust)? I've tried tigtening it to finger tightness...that which I can do without the tool, but it still seems a bit tight. Any looser and the hub has play...anything else to consider or try?

FB

·
Registered
239 Posts
FatB said:
I'm having some problems adjusting my rear CK iso hub. The wheel seems to spin too slowly and at first I was convinced it was brake rub but I have since, ruled that out. I think it is the hub adjustment and so I was wondering how much tension, or how close, do you adjust the adjustment cone (not sure what its called, but its the piece that contacts the bearings on the non-drive side of the hub that takes the special tool to adjust)? I've tried tigtening it to finger tightness...that which I can do without the tool, but it still seems a bit tight. Any looser and the hub has play...anything else to consider or try?

FB
Go to the CK website www.chrisking.com and look at the videos they have posted for the maintenace and adjuctment of their hubs. Remember that there is a break-in period for these hubs.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
King seals run snug for a long time. It may take hundreds of miles to really break them in. The bearing preload should be set so that you just barely eliminate any play. The easiest way to check this is by pushing the hub axle straight into the hub shell on one side, and trying to move the axle up and down on the other. Keep adding preload via that cone flange in 1/10 turn increments and then snugging the non-drive axle end down until you just eliminate any play. It take a bit of trial and error, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite fast and (for me at least) it stays adjusted.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tscheezy said:
King seals run snug for a long time. It may take hundreds of miles to really break them in. The bearing preload should be set so that you just barely eliminate any play. The easiest way to check this is by pushing the hub axle straight into the hub shell on one side, and trying to move the axle up and down on the other. Keep adding preload via that cone flange in 1/10 turn increments and then snugging the non-drive axle end down until you just eliminate any play. It take a bit of trial and error, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite fast and (for me at least) it stays adjusted.
TS,
As always your help is very appreciated. Just what I was looking for in terms of feel. You ROCK! Thanks man!

FB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.