Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am deciding on my next wheel set and know for sure that I am going with King hubs. Question is what rim? I was toying with a Mavic 717 rim. Are there anyother suggestions for a semi-lightweight wheelset for racing?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
You won't get significantly...

lighter than a 717, claimed weight of 395g. The DT 4.2 is close with a claimed of 400g. Even going with Mavic or DT factory wheels the rims aren't much lighter than that.

And a "realatively light racing wheel set"? With 717's and king hubs and a wise pick in the rest of the components you're going to be looking at right around the mid to high 1600g range for the complete set. You won't get much lighter than that without dropping significantly more cash on the wheels. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
I have some kings with a set of Mavic 819s. This setup makes a sweeeet XC weapon! Light and roles well. I'm not easy on wheels either, 6' and 180lbs and ride aggresive trails.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the King hubs with the Stans ZTR 355 rims 1.8/2.0 rear spokes and 1.7/2.0 front spokes with no issues on my 5'' bike. I'm an aggressive 180 pounder and was 210 when I bought the wheelset. so they have been ridden hard .If you are a bit lighter you could go for the Stans Olympic rim. They are lighter but not as durable. I have them on my XC race bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not too worried about durability truthfully I am 5'11" and weigh 135lbs. I also work at a shop so I get a steep discount. I was really looking at the stans wheelset but quality bike products doesn't seem to carry them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.