Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a pair of King ISO hubs for less than 3 months. The front feels really smooth when I hold it and spin it but the rear feels slightly rough and uneven. Also the freehub noise has a definite peak when I'm freewheeling.

This is my first pair of King hubs and I'm now worried that I either over or underloaded the rear bearing adjuster during break in. Is a slight unevenness to be expected? I'll probably have my lbs look at it this week but any comments would be appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know...

My King hubset is like that. The front is perfect but the rear
show friction and give a lot of chain sag. I made about 500 Km
with this set.

Hope that help.

Philippe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine's like that

Mine's like that, too (rear hub). A definite peak in the buzzing. Not just one even buzz. I have read somewhere--can't remember where--that that is normal. Hoping someone more knowledgeable will respond.

·
Registered
804 Posts
tigerdog said:
I've had a pair of King ISO hubs for less than 3 months. The front feels really smooth when I hold it and spin it but the rear feels slightly rough and uneven. Also the freehub noise has a definite peak when I'm freewheeling.

This is my first pair of King hubs and I'm now worried that I either over or underloaded the rear bearing adjuster during break in. Is a slight unevenness to be expected? I'll probably have my lbs look at it this week but any comments would be appreciated.

Matt
3 months = how much riding?

I was keeping a maintenance log for a while and my rear king hub took over 120 hours of ride time before it started to feel and sound broken in. The bearings spin MUCH smoother (longer) and the freehub is more consistant sounding now.

If the freehub sounds like zzZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzzz at first - no need to worry. It will smooth out over time. Is that what you mean by rough and uneven? They are built for long term usage and take a while to break in.

You should not be able to detect any play at all (too loose) in the bearings.

The seals are kind of tight so the hub might not feel super fast at first just spinning the wheel in your hands, but it should feel smooth.

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hours

frank n. beans said:
3 months = how much riding?
Yeah, I've probably only had about 70 hours on it so far. I know they take a while to break in. Maybe I just need to give it a while longer.

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts