Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
A through axle slides freely through the hub and is clamped into captive holes in the frame. The wheel can not be removed from the bike without removing the axle.

The Fun Bolts are a bolt-on axle used in conventional dropouts.

The two are not interchangeable.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Chris King does not offer a 10mm thru - it was a generally question about the difference between the two.

Shiggy, which would be better then?
The question is! If you have aCK hub already I presume you would be using a QR since you are asking this question if so its would be natural to use fun bolts as
1: you already have the Hub?
2: they will readily fit your rear frame
3: the FBs will stiffen up your rear end as per intended question?

A complete bolt through axle would be stiffer IMO but to acutally benefit from this and feel a difference I think you'd have to be going pretty big on a big ass bike , Ive ridden Hadleys with a 10mm rear axle and CK fun bolts on my Kings and I couldn't tell the difference at the rear when comparing stiffness or strength both have lasted the test of time,
Just for the record, tested on Ellsworth Moment!

However if I was building for a 6inch or above bike again I would used the hadley hub period 108pt eg.

The Kings are nice and I like em below 6inches as a bullet proof light weight sexy Hub.
my 2c
enjoy either way ya go, just make sure the axle will fit ya drop outs if ya go for the latter option.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
dulyebr said:
I'm pretty sure the Hadley 10mm through axle will fit on a standard rear drop out (2nd pic).
From what I have heard the Hadley 10mm is a bolt-on, not a true through axle. They also call their front bolt-on hub a 9mm through axle.

·
*Hotter than Hell*
710 Posts
10-4

shiggy said:
From what I have heard the Hadley 10mm is a bolt-on, not a true through axle. They also call their front bolt-on hub a 9mm through axle.
Yep, dropout sized skewers. Hadley's wordage. That said, it's a nice option! :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.