Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that King hubs have a bit of seal drag. I owned a new CK hub sometime ago and thought hey when it breaks in this drag will lessen. Well I never owned that wheelset long enough. Purchased a used rear hub @ the beginning of the season and it has quite a bit of drag if I do any sort of back pedalling. Any way to lessen this ?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Switching to a light grease in the bearings makes a difference as does making absolutely sure the hub bearing preload is adjusted correctly. The ring drive lube has a very low viscosity and if you use that in all the bearings it will reduce drag. There is nothing that can be done about the seal drag per se other than lots of miles. None of my chains sag on King-hub'ed bikes though some did initially.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
In my experience it's generally a sign the driveshell bearings are in need of cleaning/lubing, King also suggests you increase b-screw tension if getting a bit too much chain sag backpedaling during break-in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.