Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thick crown race

On certain frames, the control knobs of certain forks will contact the bottom of the down tube. I have an '05 17" X5 frame and a Fox Float RLC 130. Just before I recieved the new race, I crashed and the rebound knob became wedged under the gusset on the down tube. As a result, the rebound control rod is now bent and the knob is inoperable.

A friend of mine has a 15" Salty. He has the same clearance issue.

The new race provides plenty of clearance to avoid this problem.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Ventana Made....

Monte said:
Is that a "Ventana" crown race that fits King headsets? Or a King crown race?

Monte
That is made by Ventana, that fits the King Headset.

They have a 4mm and 7mm version.

-A

·
Registered
323 Posts
A Lil' Late For Me....

I wish Sherwood had made these sooner.

I have an 04 Z1 FR with the machined gold knobs which hit the down tube of my small La Bruja and unfortunately I had a couple of bad crashes where the knobs gouged the tube pretty hard. I pulled the knobs off the fork and used a grinder to take off the peaks of the knobs. Problem solved.

CR

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Henry at MHC was fitting a Float RLC onto a small X-5, and said there seemed to be no clearance problem. Larry said he hadn't had the problem with the X-5 either. Is it just certain frames or what?

·
Registered
907 Posts
paddlefoot64 said:
Henry at MHC was fitting a Float RLC onto a small X-5, and said there seemed to be no clearance problem. Larry said he hadn't had the problem with the X-5 either. Is it just certain frames or what?
Medium Hammerhead 100X and a RS Reba. This photo is after I fixed the problem with a second crown race. I had to dremel the top of the lower crown race flat so the second one could go on top of it. I think it gave me just a bit more than an extra 3mm.

Attachments

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
Hey Sherwood, can a custom race be ordered?

I've got clearance problems with a 15" Salty and Float RLC, but I don't want to change the geometry. Can I order a custom spacer with only a couple mm of extra height?

op

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
This item really needs to be publicized. The Fox knob issue occurs with many other frames besides Ventanas...

good show Ventana!

PS - does anyone know the dimensions of the lower King bearing? I have an integrated headset frame (therefore King-incompatible), but I'm trying to figure out a way to run one of these Ventana spacers anyway.

-r

·
Registered
246 Posts
Concerns?

Just installed the 4mm version on my 16" frame. It has plenty of clearence now since mine bairly rubbed with the stock King race. I do have some new concerns now, that I hope someone can shed some light on. The mechanic at the LBS said he would never install this on any bike for 2 reasons. 1) Said it will eventually become loose, due to the fact that a large portion of it sits above the area on the fork where it was meant to go and that portion of the steer tube isn't thick enough. 2) It will put too much stress on the steer tube causing damage to the fork or possibly frame. Not to mention the changing of the degree of the head angle. Now for the record, my money is on Sherwood and I believe he would take all these potential problems into account. The change in the head tube angle does have my attention. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'd be very concerned

RM27 said:
Just installed the 4mm version on my 16" frame. It has plenty of clearence now since mine bairly rubbed with the stock King race. I do have some new concerns now, that I hope someone can shed some light on. The mechanic at the LBS said he would never install this on any bike for 2 reasons. 1) Said it will eventually become loose, due to the fact that a large portion of it sits above the area on the fork where it was meant to go and that portion of the steer tube isn't thick enough. 2) It will put too much stress on the steer tube causing damage to the fork or possibly frame. Not to mention the changing of the degree of the head angle. Now for the record, my money is on Sherwood and I believe he would take all these potential problems into account. The change in the head tube angle does have my attention. Any thoughts?
especially if you got that bike shop to do any work on your bike. I'd make sure you avoid that place like cancer. If you said the guy was a salesman, I'd say he's trying to steer you toward the Waldo 1000 headset that he sells that will do the job much "safer". The fact that it's a mechanic (assuming he doesn't sell stuff too) just makes me laugh.

1) If the crown race were like 4 inches long, his claim might actually have some mechanical validity. That fact is, the diameter of the steerer which is accurately machined is usually around 5mm. If the crown race is 4mm high, the entire diameter of the crown race is in full contact with the steerer tube. And the fit is an interference type press fit, not some running press fit that would allow movement. Additionally, where does the guy think the crown is going? Is it going to slip down over the crown and fall on the ground? Oh, I know - it's going to unpress itself from the steerer and actually move up the steerer, despite the fact that all the force is pushing down on the thing and the entire stack is held tight in tension by the stem clamping interface. In other words, the stem would have to move up the steerer for that crown race to have any place to go. I guess that guy thinks the top cap is a safety device to keep the stem from just popping off the end of the fork steerer.

2) This is funny at so many different levels, I'm not sure where to start. Let's just say, you can get more head angle variation over/under inflating your tires than you can switching from a standard to 4mm crown race. Your fork sag changes the head angle about 10 times what that 4mm crown race changes it. Also, there is more variance in the axle to crown lengths of some 100 mm forks than the 4mm crown race height introduces. I could go on and on, but this isn't even worth addressing.

Rest assured, you will be fine with the new crown race.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No more concerns!!

All the concerns I had have been alleviated. The legend himself gave me all the answers I was looking for. Sherwood was nice enough to take the time to explain to me why these concerns should not be an issue and put it into terms I was able to follow. It just proves once again the commitment that Vetana has to the biking community. Thanks again. Now if you can just bring back the El Fuego....

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
RM27 said:
All the concerns I had have been alleviated. The legend himself gave me all the answers I was looking for. Sherwood was nice enough to take the time to explain to me why these concerns should not be an issue and put it into terms I was able to follow. It just proves once again the commitment that Vetana has to the biking community. Thanks again. Now if you can just bring back the El Fuego....
I bought one early this year. Maybe if you ask nicely? ;) It's the same main frame as the Salty with just 3" rockers. Might not be as light as Feugos of yore... but oh so confidence inspiring. And so nice to know if I wanted I could go to a 5" bike....if I wanted...

JmZ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.