Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
The new plates look thinner and cheap.
Even thinner than the old ones that deform at less than 10Nm? Jeeze. Can you post pics? Notches on the nut hopefully will help with gradual loosening that has me re-torquing every few rides. I settled on 6Nm and so far the assembly on my Integra (identical to the one on my old LEV) has been ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone tried the Thomson seat clamp on the LEV post yet that Snfoilhat mentioned? I am one of those people with a sweet Thomson lying around with nothing to do and in need of a new dropper post (been through two Kronologs, over it). The LEV was looking like the best option until i found this thread... :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was going to try it but for the moment I seem to have made peace with the clamp on my LEV Integra. I think the critical thing is never to over-torque it to where it starts to bend. For me 6Nm seems to be the magic number. 10 is definitely not ok. Just be sure to torque carefully and equally to front & rear. Check after every ride until it stabilizes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sold mine and replaced it with the Reverb Stealth. I like everything better on the LEV except the stupid creaking/slipping seat clamp. I'd go back if they redesign the clamp.
G

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Count me in as well. Mine has always been creaky. Then the saddle would slide back over the course of a few weeks. Now I have to reposition the saddle after every ride (goes from middle of rails to slammed back within 30 minutes). Grrrr.....

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
Count me in as well. Mine has always been creaky. Then the saddle would slide back over the course of a few weeks. Now I have to reposition the saddle after every ride (goes from middle of rails to slammed back within 30 minutes). Grrrr.....
Mine had been slipping as well, even when properly torqued. I had been using grease on the rails to keep the creaking down, and switched to carbon paste. It seems to be staying in place. I assume that it is the grit in the paste. Good luck, I know it is a p.i.t.a.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
I tried the Thompson fix yesterday with no luck. I pulled what I needed off my Thompson Elite seatpost and played Dr Frankenstein for about a half hour. Literally, every part did not fit. A while back I tried blue Loctite, which worked until I decided to replace my saddle. Then, it was almost impossible to get those round countersunk bolts off. When I put the saddle back together yesterday, I installed the screws in the other direction - the heads on top and the nuts on the bottom. I tightened them through the slot in my saddle. I'm going to get some hex nuts from the hardware store and add them to the ends of the KS bolt shafts to keep the round KS bolts from getting loose. Maybe I can find the nuts with the nylon on the inside that don't come undone easily or maybe I'll go back to using some Loctite too; since the nuts are now on the bottom and it's easier to get to them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My saddle creeks/moves on the rails too. I'm three rides in and it is annoying as [email protected]#. I don't have a torque wrench but I reefed on it HARD, to the point where I was going to break the allen wrench. It should not require that much torque, something is wrong with the clamping mechanism/design. Going to try a couple more things before I take the gloves off but an expensive dropper post that cost this much should not have basic design flaws like this.

·
NMBP
1,158 Posts
Thanks. I'll give that a try next.
Let us know how it works. I just did a 25 mile ride this weekend, and it didn't budge. I agree that they need to do a little modification on the clamp. I have been using Thomson's for years, and have never had one slip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just came here to thank the folks on this thread for the suggestions, etc...

I had a horrible time with mine (seat moving - serious creaking) and after reading this thread I did the following:
remove the seat and clamp
completely cleaned everything
lubed the "saddle of the clamp" and all ramps on the bolts with Pedros
used a torque wrench to tighten the clamp

Everything is golden now. I think the torque wrench was key. I had noticed some paint was worn on the clamp saddle and that is why I thought some grease would be helpful there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might want to add some friction paste along with the greese. This helps prevent the seat from pushing back. I know thats a wired combination, but worked for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had considered that route (friction paste) but I am running a Fizik with the wierd rails and they seem to be grabby enough. (I think it's a Gobi XM with the Maganse rails).

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
Dredging this thread back up: i installed a KS Lev back in march, and like everyone else, almost immediately began having the creaking/loosening issues. I tried the torquing, grease & loctite suggestions and met with limited success; instead of every ride, it would be every 8-10 rides that it would need to be retightened. lately, however, nothing will keep it tight- i'm retightening several times per ride and no matter how accurately they're torqued, the seat will move all the way back during the course of the ride and the hex fasteners are now stripped and need to be replaced. i'm not sure if it's related, but i'm also bending seat rails as well, i've bent 2 seats this season, a WTB Devo & WTB Pure V. While i am a clyde, i've not had this problem before, apart from bending one in a particularly wicked crash impact, which didn't necessarily have anything to do with my size.

Here's my question: is there a definitive hack to solve this problem? i'm not confident that replacing with oem hardware is anything more than a temporary solution until KS acknowledges that it's a defective design and produces a reliable redesign/remedy. What is the best non-oem solution? i would like to fix this once and never have to worry about it again.
Thx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not that this matters (in the big-picture view) but are you only having creaking, or creaking with seat movement?

Previously I had both... then I had neither... then the creaking returned... BUT.. my seat doesn't move. So, for now, I am OK with the situation. I am fairly certain if I spent the time to remove the clamp-saddle-thing from the rails and re-greased it and re-installed... then torqued the bolts to spec again - it would be fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My situation was fixed by using a hex bit with socket and wrenching the sh!t out of the bolts. The bit is higher quality, stronger metal than your average bike tool which can strip and the extra leverage of a hefty socket wrench was all I needed to sufficiently tighten.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
My situation was fixed by using a hex bit with socket and wrenching the sh!t out of the bolts. The bit is higher quality, stronger metal than your average bike tool which can strip and the extra leverage of a hefty socket wrench was all I needed to sufficiently tighten.
I'd be shocked if the aluminum saddle clamps aren't now completely bent. I torqued mine to slightly over spec and they continued to bend every time I re-positioned the saddle. They're now so bent that they bottom against each other and the saddle rails wiggle between the clamps.

I just fixed mine (permanently?) this week. I realized that the saddle clamp on my Hussefelt post was a drop in replacement. It is, as expected, Hussefelt in strength/stiffness. Not a single creak or movement in the saddle all week. I'll grab some pics and a part number later tonight.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My seat slips too.

I'm not even going to bother contacting KS. I have dealt with KS, and that knob Ron, on an issue before. That little O-ring around the KS tab that covers the cable attachment broke. Must be a 1 cent part, and broke the very first time I pressed it in. Told me he'd ship one out, until I said I lived in Canada. Then told me to send a self stamped envelope. I returned with "Where do I get US stamps?". He wrote back with "Contact someone in Canada". It's such a small part, no one has them. SO, the little tag was zip tied on for ever, until I bought Gloworm lights and found out they used the exact o-rings to bind up all the straps for packaging. I can't get over the lack of help KS, and that moron Ron, give for a $500 post! I'm in Canada, and Hope in the UK has sent out numerous small parts, including Ti bolts, whenever I have had an issue, fully complimentary. Just polar opposite. I'll never buy KS again. Ever. I'll ride Hopes for the rest of my life.

So, what now. The thing drives me nuts. I've thus far sanded and roughed up the rails, which helped for a bit. Now I have tried electrical tape on the bottom rail, and well demo tomorrow. Did not realize the bolts come lose. Mannnn...

I have a Norco post. The clamp looks like it MAY fit. If the tape doesn't work, I will try to swap.

KS...Your service sucks.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts