Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im thinking of getting rid of my Salty/x5 custom. Need the $ for new bike projects. Not sure if I will end up selling her but im just wondering what I could get or should ask if I do? Is e-bay the ticket (which I would link through MTBR.com of course)

Built in 03/06
Salty in a x5 jig
23.8 TT
19.5 ST
5.1 HT
Straight gauge tube set
Extra headtube gussets
5/6 rockers W/quads
DHX air
aprox 500miles on her
perfict shape.
extra braze-ons for Gravety post
Frame only!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
schotter said:
what's the head angle/bottom bracket height in 5" and 6" with that setup? Are the angles X5 or Salt?
cheers
Its X-5 #s
68.5 in 5" with 25-30% sag 13.5bb with no sag
? near the same in 6" because I run more sag. 35-40% Just sitting unloaded it sits a bit higher (aprox 3/8" higher BB) but when your in the correct sag it feels the same as 5" head angle just even plusher.

·
Registered
260 Posts
m-dub said:
Its X-5 #s
68.5 in 5" with 25-30% sag 13.5bb with no sag
? near the same in 6" because I run more sag. 35-40% Just sitting unloaded it sits a bit higher (aprox 3/8" higher BB) but when your in the correct sag it feels the same as 5" head angle just even plusher.
thanks!
Nice rig, Ebay/MTBR.com probably better returns than trade-in but apart from that...never sold a Ventana so I can only echo what's been said.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im 6' 1.5" 190lbs and like long walks on the beach :)
I really like a smaller feeling frame. When I built it I was coming off a large Heckler which I loved but was a little short in the toptube when I went from set-back post to a GD post (zero set-back) so I basicly just added a 1/2 to my Heckler. Bike handles great. With the slack seat angle it feels as long or longer than my buddies Turner 5 spot.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
This is a hard one to guess at. Typically I get somewhere between 30-50% of new retail price on used framesets. That would put you in the $800-1200 range for most buyers. It is a hard sell unless you happen upon someone who is specifically looking for a Ventana. Reason I say that is that the average e-bay or MTBR buyer is probably looking at this vs titus, turner, santa cruz, and other mfg that are in the $500-1000 range. Also, custom sizing/geometry while it is worth more to you may not be worth anything to the 2nd owner.

$.02 FWIW :p

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
Oh man you are killing me! I've lusted after that bike ever since I 1st saw it posted and even have it in my rotation of screen savers at work. If I had the coin sitting around I would snap it up. That is my dream bike! Good luck finding a worthy home for it. Hopefully when I have enough change free, I'll use yours as an inspiration for ordering my own!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind words. It is sweet. Im still on the fence weather or not to sell it. You could sell a kidney? What do you really need two for? I have a riding buddy that may be interested but I think that could be worse, having to see it every week.

·
Registered
237 Posts
m-dub,

That is a beautiful rig. The thought of you turning it over so quickly is killing me. I remember seeing it before I bought my '06 Salt. It helped push me toward to a Ventana when I read about the custom geo.

Sorry, I've got to ask. "Need the $ for new bike projects." What are you thinking of replacing this with?

And, are saying you feel it is too long for your liking? If that's the only issue, I'm sure Sherwood could help you out.

G.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
G.G. said:
m-dub,

That is a beautiful rig. The thought of you turning it over so quickly is killing me. I remember seeing it before I bought my '06 Salt. It helped push me toward to a Ventana when I read about the custom geo.

Sorry, I've got to ask. "Need the $ for new bike projects." What are you thinking of replacing this with?

And, are saying you feel it is too long for your liking? If that's the only issue, I'm sure Sherwood could help you out.

G.
Im on SantaCruz's grassroots team for 2007. It's just an oportunity I can't pass up. So it will be replaced with a Blur LT and my Pantera with a superlight.
There is nothing I dont like about the bike( it doesn't feel too long?) and I would do it all again.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
BlurLt = Crap
Sorry, but in my experience the blurlt is on of the worst suspension designs I have had the pleasure of riding. you would be better off with a blur classic. The LT is terible on bearings and nearly impossible to keep quiet. It is the only suspension design that I can whole-heartedly say I will never try again. After less than 6 months on one I was rewarded for stellar maintenance with roached bearings and a bent shock axle.

I wish you the best and hope whole-heartedly that your experiences are more positive than my own:thumbsup:

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Man, unless you got a lifetime commitment to be on that team, I'd just keep the Ventana. You won't get near what it is worth, and when your team duties end, you will still have a great bike. Good luck if you have to sell it though.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the kind words:thumbsup: I Have nothing negative to say about Ventana and perhaps will build one again. I learned from this build and would do a thing or two different on the next one anyway. Bottom line is I love to ride/race/teach/Guide Mountainbikes/ers. The opportunity that I was offered is one that I feel cant be turned down. When the time comes that the offers no longer exsist, Sherwood/Ventana will be on top of my list.

Ps: This fourm has been nothing but positive, something that other boards should follow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
$$$$$ ?????

hey m-dub -

have you come up with a price yet? i might be interested. I have been thinking of trading in my Salty for a frame with X-5 numbers anb tubing, but in the El Salt design. It sounds like that is what you have there. have you ridden it much in 6" x 6" mode? what fork did you use?

btw - you said that you would do a couple of things differently next time around. what are they? oh, yeah - almost forgot to ask: wat's the standover height?

t/y

kev

·
Registered
552 Posts
It really depends. I've found the ebay for ventana's don't seem to do very well I think as someone else said they don't have the big following that titus/turner has. Don't get me wrong I love my el chamuco. For example awhile ago someone was selling a pantera frame evidentially in great condition, and they listed it 2-3 times with no bids and finally sold it with a thomson post and king headset for $450. Though that same frame was on mtbr at $400 and didn't sell either. There are 3 el cuervo's on ebay right now none of which are selling well. A full built cuervo is probably not going to go over $1200 currently.

But it really depends, I think if a person sits down and says well it's a $2000 frame I want $1500 out of it, that's not going to happen. The biggest reason for this I think is that once you get much over $1000 for a used frame people start to figure they'd rather just spend the extra money and order a new one. They don't know the history of the bike, warranty is gone, and crash replacement costs for frames are well known these days and quite expensive. I know many times if I am shopping for a frame on ebay I factor in having the rear shock rebuilt into the price, it might not need it, but you never know either. Even new $1800 frames on ebay lately have been going in the $1200 range. So keep that in mind, your frame would be competing against brand new turners and titus that are selling in that 1200-1400 range. I'd say for a used ventana such as yours $800-1000 is probably a good ballpark.

In that area you might have better luck on mtbr. I can say that if you want to get max money out of anything on ebay multiple very good quality large images are a must. I would say that is probably one of the biggest things you can do to get top dollar. I see so many ebay ads with crappy pictures, poor descriptions so there is no way to tell what condition the item is really in and they don't get high bids. You run into a lot of ads where there are dents/dings/flatspots in the frame that may not be a structural issue, but bidders don't respond well to them. Simply because if someone crashed it hard enough to dent the frame, how much other non-visible damage might be present. This of course is a catch 22 I've crashed some frames scary hard and they had no dents/dings in them so it's not totally logical, but a frame with any kind of dent in it, even a flat spot brings a lot less money.

Also I think if you include other items you get more bids. Take a frame. Most people if they buy a frame need a seatpost and headset at the least. I think this is usually because people looking at a used frame already have a selection of parts they intend to put on the bike. However seatpost sizes vary and most people cannot correctly press in their own headset. So when I look at buying a frame I factor in a rear shock rebuild, seatpost, headset, those things can add $300+ to the "cost" of the frame. I think a lot of buyers do the same. So if you can include things like the headset, seatpost in the sale that helps. Speaking of headsets while I've never had this issue I know a lot of guys that are hesitant to keep removing/repressing headsets, so some people are nervous of a used bike without it's original headset in it.

As always it depends on what your bike competes with as well, a 5/6" salty/x5 is competing with titus motolites, turner 5 spots, ventana x5's and the new el ciclon. There's a lot of 5 spots out there right now. So there are a lot of 5" popular rides on the market right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.