Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Yep! Live three blocks away, and looking forward to having two awesome, hopefully, burger spots within a stones throw me. That includes Roam, which makes a great burger too and beers on tap.

The namesake Umami Burger has *****ake mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted tomato, parmesan crisp, and umami ketchup. No substitutions are allowed in order to get the full Umami experience.

Preview Umami Burger, Opening 10/10 | The Feast

If you need other burger ideas, here are the top 25 in SF supposedly. My vote goes to Red's Java House, Roam and Marlowe.

The Top 25 Burgers in San Francisco - San Francisco - Slideshows

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Umami in LA is pretty good, but I feel kind of ripped off afterwards, and a bit greased out. Definitely get one of their "stinky burgers" with all the grease cheese. Also the vegetarian "cali" burger is pretty awesome.

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How umami is Umami?
Finally got to go last time I was down there. Umami. I was on expense acct, so I didn't have the spent-too-much post-food depression thingy. Don't remember what brand of tasty brew I had to go along with it, but I do remember the tasty eye-candy. Good spot indeed.

·
screamer
1,385 Posts
Sweet! (or, rather, Umami) That's right in my in-laws' neighborhood, so will definitely be checking that out. Any place that refuses to alter their trademark recipes is due respect, in my book.
And I keep forgetting about Marlowe's: we're spoiled with so many great burger options these days, it's hard to keep up. Just had an excellent one at Front Porch in the Mission, for example, washed down with a couple delicious Devil's Canyon scotch ales (burp).

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
Any insider info? How umami is Umami?

And for those not in the know, umami is the Chuck Norris of flavors.
Umami is the Japanese "Zen philosophy" science of the correlation/marriage of sweet/salty/sour flavours. To name a burger place using said umami terminology is quite brazen, unless of course, the Japanese have accepted burgers into said Umami-ism. Certainly they must be $32 hamburgers to have tried and trued umami qualities.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Japanese accepted "burger" for quite long time. However is not patty - bun combination but rather donbury style. Very typical lunch dish is burger patty and egg over rice. Also keep in mind the whole Kobe thing including Kobe burgers.
However as much as I love beef and had tried "burgers" in above $50 range category, I can't justify it. I had tastier burgers in $10 range more often than not.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
Very good. Went by last night during their soft opening. Had the Bacon Wrapped Scallop Burger, use their scallop patty and pork bellu :).

They even got a great combo. Burger, tempura onion rings and Racer 5

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Damn you for posting that image!!! :nono: Now I am going to have to go there after having fasted for a couple of days. Arrrgggh the torture!!! Descriptions on the menu sound incredibly delicious.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
Umami is the Japanese "Zen philosophy" science of the correlation/marriage of sweet/salty/sour flavours. To name a burger place using said umami terminology is quite brazen, unless of course, the Japanese have accepted burgers into said Umami-ism. Certainly they must be $32 hamburgers to have tried and trued umami qualities.
I may be missing the joke here, but umami is just Japanese for "savory." It's not a Zen philosophy, or a science. It's an adjective.

Umami is also one of the five basic tastes, describing L-glutamate acting on the umami receptor of the tongue. And contrary to popular belief (aka "sheeple" ignorance), Monosodium glutamate isn't bad for you.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
I may be missing the joke here, but umami is just Japanese for "savory." It's not a Zen philosophy, or a science. It's an adjective.

Umami is also one of the five basic tastes, describing L-glutamate acting on the umami receptor of the tongue. And contrary to popular belief (aka "sheeple" ignorance), Monosodium glutamate isn't bad for you.
I first read of the term umami in a Japanese cook book some time back in the early 1990s. It made no mention of monosodium glutamate.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
I first read of the term umami in a Japanese cook book some time back in the early 1990s. It made no mention of monosodium glutamate.
Yeah, Umami wasn't officially recognized as a distinct taste (with unique receptors) until about 2001. I took cellular neurobiology with Dr. Charles Zuker who was pretty instrumental in discovering the biological pathways of taste receptors, and he gave some pretty interesting lectures on umami and its history.

I mentioned the MSG thing since the umami taste bud a glutamate receptor, which is what MSG acts upon. A lot of people think MSG is bad for them, but double-blind tests have confirmed that people cannot tell if food has MSG or not. Scientists have also done extensive research on msg ingestion in rats. Unless you're eating pounds of the stuff in one sitting, it's not any worse than table salt.

I spent some time in Japan and my host family used MSG in their cooking. They were entertained by the average American's fear of the stuff, which is when I learned what "umami" meant.

I love umami flavors. And food with MSG.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Yeah, Umami wasn't officially recognized as a distinct taste (with unique receptors) until about 2001. I took cellular neurobiology with Dr. Charles Zuker who was pretty instrumental in discovering the biological pathways of taste receptors, and he gave some pretty interesting lectures on umami and its history.

I mentioned the MSG thing since the umami taste bud a glutamate receptor, which is what MSG acts upon. A lot of people think MSG is bad for them, but double-blind tests have confirmed that people cannot tell if food has MSG or not. Scientists have also done extensive research on msg ingestion in rats. Unless you're eating pounds of the stuff in one sitting, it's not any worse than table salt.

I spent some time in Japan and my host family used MSG in their cooking. They were entertained by the average American's fear of the stuff, which is when I learned what "umami" meant.

I love umami flavors. And food with MSG.
Damn. Check out jtmartino dropping serious Umami knowledge!

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,261 Posts
*****ake? Wow! What do you know? Sorry, couldn't resist....:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.