Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Team Awesome
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Dudes,

I don't think I've ever posted in this forum before, but I have been learning some DIY stuff - mostly making DIY guitar pedals, so I have at least a little bit of knowledge about this kind of stuff.

Could somebody point me to a good first project for a single bulb light? I am familiar with Mouser, and if anybody has a saved BOM I would really appreciate that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forum!

You will find everyone here very friendly and helpful.

This thread is what helped me get started http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/very-easy-xm-l-build-805894.html

I would suggest figuring on what emitter you want to use (LED bulb), Cree XM-L or XM-L2 is a popular choice ( 1000 lumens ish)

Then decide on a driver for the LED. XM-L will take 3 amps for example (they can handle more)

The driver will dictate the voltage necessary, 3.7v, 7.4v.....

Here is my first build:http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/first-attempt-xm-l-824087.html
Funny I don't really use this light much, I built one similar one that has the fins thinner and closer together, shorter and a better driver.....

Here is my helmet light:http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/helmet-xm-l-837857.html

Hopefully the information will help you, there will be a bunch of awesome light builders chiming in shortly!

Don

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
What type of light are you looking for? Bars or helmet. Trail riding or road? Each usage has requirements that will direct the choice of your components.

It has been a while since I shopped Mouser, but don't recall them having much in the way of high power LEDs. Cutter Electronics in Australia are the best IME. Led Supply are pretty good as well. There are Chinese distributors of parts too. DX and Kaidomain are 2 popular sites. As with many things Chinese, you may or may not get exactly what you thought you were getting. I seem to be at about 75% on their specification accuracy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I haven't been in the lighting threads for a while as I was working on another project this winter.

The one thing I can add is, figure out what kind of body you want your lights to be and how you are going to achieve making it. Do you have access to your own tools or a friends? You can create one from scratch. (ie. CNC machine, lathe) I didn't and went looking for pieces to put together which beecrazy pionted out in my Very Easy XM-L Build.

Also if you're going to order items from China, it make take 3-4wks or 1-2mths for it to arrive so order them well in advance.

Good luck on your project if you have any questions, just ask.

·
Team Awesome
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I would like to build one bar mount of doom light, with maximum lumens. I have no lathe access, so I was scoping out the 35mm housing at easy2 LED.

With that, I'd like to build a nice throwy helmet set. I have a set of Ayups I can either Mod or sell to fund this silliness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.