Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd share my new waltworks single speed. It's not quite a truly WW build, but I did consider weight for each part on the bike. Durability was more important for selected parts.

The total weight came in at 19.2 pounds, which isn't bad considering the steel frame, with the paragon sliding dropouts, is over 4 pounds!! Some other portly parts include: phil wood BB - 271g with crank bolts, race face bar - 176g, and reba wc with remote lockout - 1623g.

frame - custom steel waltworks
fork - reba WC
brakes - marta SL
post - thompson masterpiece
stem - ritchey WCS (105g with bolts!!)
bar - race face next low rise
saddle - SLR
cog - boone 17t
crank - middleburn RS-8
wheels - stans ZTR, dt 240s, revos
headset - CK
pedals - speedplay frogs
tires - old gen. pythons with stan's goop (just yellow tape)
BB - phil wood steel (the ti was just too expensive)

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, due to living in Ottawa - it's frick'en cold here!!
The hoses will be cut at some point and the steerer will be trimmed after I dial in the front end. This thing should climb very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
joeadnan said:
Very nice! But better, in my humble opinion, if you used a hangerless drive-side dropout when in SS mode.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I certainly doesn't look as clean with the hanger, but I'm sure I would pay through the teeth to get that part from paragon - it would also probably only save 10g or so.

I told the frame builder to put the hanger on, as I wanted the option of a 1x9 setup for a couple of races this year.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice bike Axis. That looks very light. Is it a 29er? How much does it weigh?

I thought about going rigid, but chickened out. I'm going from a 4 inch geared FS to HT SS, so that may have been too much at once for me. I could have saved 2 pounds though and had the build just under 18lbs!! It was tempting...

·
SUBLIM8er
2,212 Posts
Overkill said:
Nice bike Axis. That looks very light. Is it a 29er? How much does it weigh?

I thought about going rigid, but chickened out. I'm going from a 4 inch geared FS to HT SS, so that may have been too much at once for me. I could have saved 2 pounds though and had the build just under 18lbs!! It was tempting...
Yes, 29er. As you see it in this pic it's about 17.5lbs. Now I have the Crows on it and a slightly lighter CS so it may be under 17lbs now. I should put it on a scale sometime. I love the taper leg fork for the simplicity and feel with just enough "micro suspension."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Overkill said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I certainly doesn't look as clean with the hanger, but I'm sure I would pay through the teeth to get that part from paragon - it would also probably only save 10g or so.

I told the frame builder to put the hanger on, as I wanted the option of a 1x9 setup for a couple of races this year.
The drop-out with the hanger is $15 from Walt, so the singlespeed version should cost no more than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.