Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved back to Vt. All the rides that I did in mid 90's when everyone was biking are grown in/gone. Where are the good loops in this area besides Killington area. Lift service seems to be killing the singletrack??

Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
I do most of my rides about 40 minutes down the road from killington along the CT river. I do not know what is in the immediate killington area, but If you are interested in travelling, I can tell you about some trails.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'll Show you mine if you show me yours

jd2001mrg said:
I live right in that area too, and I'm always looking for new rides. Would you be so good as to share where along the CT river you ride?
Sure. I ride the Boston Lot trails a lot. There are also some great trails on gile mountain in Norwich. There are some other trails that are snowmobile trails and class 6 roads in the area, but the gile mountain and boston lot are my favorites by far.

I can give you more details if you would like.

Where are you riding now?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Showing mine

Thanks for the reply Greenfix. I ride the Mt. Snow Crosstown X-Country a lot, sometimes Wilimington Resevoir and the Grafton XC ski area. Where specifically are the Boston Lot trails and Gile Mtn?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Gile moutain is in norwich vermont. The trailhead parking lot is off of turnpike road.

Boston lot trails are off route 10 in lebanon, nh. THe parking area is across the street from the wilder dam.

Both trails are well marked, but the boston lot trails are easier to loop up.

The gile mountain trail requires a bit of a road ride to make the loop, but the single track is sweet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greenfix said:
Gile moutain is in norwich vermont. The trailhead parking lot is off of turnpike road.

Boston lot trails are off route 10 in lebanon, nh. THe parking area is across the street from the wilder dam.

Both trails are well marked, but the boston lot trails are easier to loop up.

The gile mountain trail requires a bit of a road ride to make the loop, but the single track is sweet.
Sounds good, I work in Lebanon,N.H. so it's not too far. Their are sweeet loops in Redding<VT. but they are newly posted this past month :( Do you ride with a group/any weekly rides?
Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
I do not ride with any organized group or weekly ride dates. I usually ride with the same guy, and a lot of what we do is last minute e-mails or phone calls. If you PM me your e-mail address, I can e-mail you when we plan some rides, and you can choose to show up or not. I have kids, and so does the guy I ride with, so usually we go out at 1 or 1:30 on the weekends (nap time). We are pretty laid back. My riding partner usually brings his dog along for the rides, but the dog is bike savvy and does a good job of running with us. Although I have not started yet, I also ride midweek, mostly in the afternoon (I have a flexible schedule at work). My midweek rides consist of rides around boston lot, which you can reach from DHMC in Lebanon. You can actually reach them from downtown leb, with a short road ride. I would be more than happy to show you those trails sometime. What do you do in Leb?

The UVMBA is going to start organized rides one thursday a month, but they have a policy that you have to be a member to go on the rides. That being said it is a pretty good club. It is only $20 to join, you get a T-shirt, and you get added to some rides lists. The money for the club goes back into trail development, including opening some new trails in the area. Just a thought.
Here are the group ride dates:
Public group rides on the third Thursday of each month.
Dates: 5/19/05, 6/16/05, 7/21/05, 8/18/05, 9/15/05, 10/20/05

Happy riding,
GF

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
K-town rides

Who Dat!! said:
Moved back to Vt. All the rides that I did in mid 90's when everyone was biking are grown in/gone. Where are the good loops in this area besides Killington area. Lift service seems to be killing the singletrack??

Thanks
There's 3 really good places to ride in the area.. Killington's single track is pretty sweet. True Wheels bike Shop has group rides there starting anytime now on Tues Nights. The trails are starting to be cleaned up and the lower elevation stuff is all ridable at this point. Rocky Pond, (Pine Hill Park) is pretty sweet XC in Rultand. Green Mountain Bikes in Rochester, (20 min away) has some super sweet Tech XC rides.. They cater more to the FR crowd, but we all pedal our 50lb bikes around for a 3 hour ride every Thurs eve. If you have any other ??? feel free to drop me a line. I usually ride 5 days a week up here!!!

·
Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!
112 Posts
don't forget...

KillingtonVT said:
There's 3 really good places to ride in the area.. Killington's single track is pretty sweet. True Wheels bike Shop has group rides there starting anytime now on Tues Nights. The trails are starting to be cleaned up and the lower elevation stuff is all ridable at this point. Rocky Pond, (Pine Hill Park) is pretty sweet XC in Rultand. Green Mountain Bikes in Rochester, (20 min away) has some super sweet Tech XC rides.. They cater more to the FR crowd, but we all pedal our 50lb bikes around for a 3 hour ride every Thurs eve. If you have any other ??? feel free to drop me a line. I usually ride 5 days a week up here!!!
Don't forget the Contest Trail in Pittsfield! Also, it's like 2hrs to the Kingdom Trails in Burke... and it's WELL WORTH THE DRIVE!!! They have miles and miles of awesome XC, and some pretty sweet DH/FR on the ski area. Otherwise, the good-ole boys at GMC in Rochester are the way to go. Super friendly, way cool to ride with, and awesome techs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surprised no one knows about the 2 loops in redding Vt. Sweet technical rolling singletrack but you will definitely have to earn you turns. Also where I live there are some old trails that I'm clearing, nice singletrack/dirt road combo on Messerhill rd. in Plymouth Vt. at the very end. Old logging roads are rideable and will dump you out on rte.100 about 1mile south of old north east passage chair. Contest loop is o.k. but much more could be done with the terrian, it gets old fast for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.