Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the plan was to get teh new bike this (past) fall - which obviously did not happen. Now I have time to kill until spring. So I am rethinking parts of the build. This will be a do everything bike for me (6'4", ~200lbs). The frame is likely going to be either an 06 SInister ER (which is beefed up to be more like the MX) or an 05 MX (awesome bike, but a tad porky) 70% aggressive trail and light FR. 30% ski hills & lift assisted stuff) components in question:

FORK: Pike 426 or Zoke Z.1sl (with ETA)

HEADSET: FSA PigDH Pro or King (is it worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$?)

CRANKS: Hone or Atlas or FSA Gravity or Middleburn (big $$$$ for these though), all X-Type (I'd try the FSA external bearing ISIS BB with the Middleburns if I went that way). Are Saints overkill?

I think thats it. I'm pretty set on the rest.
Your thoughts?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Headset recommendation

I have the FSA Pig DH Pro, and it's a fine headset at 1/3 the cost of a King. I know there are folks out there who swear by King, and I'm sure they make a fine headset. For my money, value is key. I don't see value in paying 3X as much for a headset that will last just as long, IMO.

Just my opinion.

Bob

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
I have the FSA Pig DH Pro, and it's a fine headset at 1/3 the cost of a King. I know there are folks out there who swear by King, and I'm sure they make a fine headset. For my money, value is key. I don't see value in paying 3X as much for a headset that will last just as long, IMO.

Just my opinion.

Bob
This is exactly what I am thinking. I can take the $100 I save on a headset and put it into a better crankset, or a fork. Or beer. :)

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Techfreak said:
Well, the plan was to get teh new bike this (past) fall - which obviously did not happen. Now I have time to kill until spring. So I am rethinking parts of the build. This will be a do everything bike for me (6'4", ~200lbs). The frame is likely going to be either an 06 SInister ER (which is beefed up to be more like the MX) or an 05 MX (awesome bike, but a tad porky) 70% aggressive trail and light FR. 30% ski hills & lift assisted stuff) components in question:

FORK: Pike 426 or Zoke Z.1sl (with ETA)

HEADSET: FSA PigDH Pro or King (is it worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$?)

CRANKS: Hone or Atlas or FSA Gravity or Middleburn (big $$$$ for these though), all X-Type (I'd try the FSA external bearing ISIS BB with the Middleburns if I went that way). Are Saints overkill?

I think thats it. I'm pretty set on the rest.
Your thoughts?
I have the Hone crankset and they work pretty well for me. I would have like the Atlas, but they're like 100 more than the Hone's when I bought them.

The King is worth it when it comes with a fork or something. When I built my bike it came with my fork, that's why I have them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts