Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2 minutes turkish
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread :: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5029288#poststop :: a while back to get some thoughts on the best tire combo for what most of us ride around here; hard DG.

I lean to the shuttle, slopestyle, aggressive all mountain side of things

I think I found the solution

2.35 Kenda Small Block 8 - BACK

2.55 WTB Weirwolf LT - FRONT

I am really digging the speed, and the grip is the best I've found for DG. I spend a lot of time on the San Juan trail and trails with very similar conditions.

Thoughts?

·
Who's riding today?
1,440 Posts
2.35 Kenda Small Block 8 - BACK

2.55 WTB Weirwolf LT - FRONT

I am really digging the speed, and the grip is the best I've found for DG. I spend a lot of time on the San Juan trail and trails with very similar conditions.

Thoughts?

YES! Looks like you have yer self a fine handling combo. Something I'll try in the future. It's all a matter of matching the rider to the bike to the trail to the conditions at hand to get the right tire combo, thus there are MANY fine combination possible. Ride.......

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
True

That is a nice dry hardpack combo, the silt later in the season reduces the effectiveness somewhat for the SB8, they wear out quicker than most tires but they like the hardpack, have good volume and weight. I prefer the the Schwalbe nobby nic 2.4 of the same weight as the 2.35 SB8 in the front and rear but I'm hoping Schwalbe makes the new Racing Ralph in the 2.4 size, I think it has a chance tp be better than either the SB8 or NN for hardpack and I'd like to try it as the back tire with the NN up front.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used the SB8 and Nev. for about 2yrs and finally decided to got with something with more grip for the rear. I now use a Schwalbe Big Betty/Fat Albert UST Front/Rear combo. Roll much faster then the Kenda's and weight less. Works great in SoCal soil, but like an earlier post, it all depends how, when, where and what type of tire you like to use (i.e. square vs. round profile tire).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for starting these threads Locust. I'm learning from everyone's comments.

I started riding a Rockhopper a few months ago. It came with Spec. Fast Trak LK tires that washed out in the loose stuff if you looked at them sideways. I picked up some cheap Velociraptors and have stayed mostly upright since.

For those that like the High Rollers, do you run them front and rear?

Kenda's description for the Blue Groove seems to scream So.Cal., "for hard-packed to loose trail conditions." How come no recommendations for these? Anyone here try them front and rear or in combo with a SB8?

I assume that any of these tires will feel sticky enough and faster than the old technology Velociraptors I've been riding.

I'm hoping for more volume than my 2.1 WTBs to slightly soften up the ride of my hardtail, so where should I start?

·
Registered
318 Posts
jefe5000 said:
Thanks for starting these threads Locust. I'm learning from everyone's comments.

I started riding a Rockhopper a few months ago. It came with Spec. Fast Trak LK tires that washed out in the loose stuff if you looked at them sideways. I picked up some cheap Velociraptors and have stayed mostly upright since.

For those that like the High Rollers, do you run them front and rear?

Kenda's description for the Blue Groove seems to scream So.Cal., "for hard-packed to loose trail conditions." How come no recommendations for these? Anyone here try them front and rear or in combo with a SB8?

I assume that any of these tires will feel sticky enough and faster than the old technology Velociraptors I've been riding.

I'm hoping for more volume than my 2.1 WTBs to slightly soften up the ride of my hardtail, so where should I start?
Yep, using the Blue Groove 2.35 DTC on the front and the 2.35 SB8 in the rear on my Chumba XCL. It's a great combo for the SD area. I've had no issues with front end grip. The only traction issue I've had has been climbing the east side of the switchbacks at Martha's. No rear tire works there when the corners get blown out and turned to silt. Actually I'm surprised at how much traction the rear does have. At this time I've probably got over 200+ miles on these and they're still going strong.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Blue Groove Stick-E Front, Small Block 8 DTC Rear on the SingleSpeed
Big Betty GGC Front, Highroller UST 2.35 Rear on the Blur 4x
Minion DHF 2.5 Super Tacky UST Front, Highroller 2.5 3C Rear on the Uzzi VPX

·
My Bike is Bigger
78 Posts
For DH and FR use... After a few years of using a Blue Groove front and a Nevegal rear I've switched to Excavators front and rear and I'm not going back. They roll surprisingly fast (although nothing like a Small Block) and grip SoCal dirt magically. Word is there is a Excavator/Small Block hybrid coming down the pipe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'm running the 2.55 weirwolf LT front and 2.1 nevegal rear. the weirwolf is great... i can rip corners like no other and have never feared washing out, unlike other tires i have tried. i find that the 2.1 nev is almost as big as a 2.3. i'm liking this combo for now. maybe i'll try m 2.3 nev i have lying around later...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Blue Groove 2.1 Frt SB8 2.1 Rr X/C Bike,Blue Groove 2.35 Frt Nev 2.35 Rr AM Bike , looking to replace Nev with something that rolls better, but Blue Groove on the front of both bikes , works really for me. IMO

·
Registered
172 Posts
B/g

The B/G is very similar to the Nevegal , more directional knobs in the middle , which IMO makes it roll better and the side knobs are not as aggressive , which gives me a little more nuetral feel , volume same as Nev. I always get the Sticky compound when available.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I run the BG sticky 2.35 and its an excellent front tire, light grippy and much better roller than the nevegal without the nasty washout the nevegal can have on loose/sandy turns. The BG runs slightly smaller than the nevegal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.