Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had that Deathly Twang noise this morning out riding with the club, slightly angled take off on one jump landing into a Puddle, as landed Hit a sharp rock submerged in teh puddle, Cue much hissing and my homebrew tubeless goo firing everywhere, we had a look, managed to straighten the lip enough to get a tube in and the tyre to seat, but the rims toast! Insides deformed, Bulged the rim itself outand has put a Good buckle in it that isnt going to true out,
The wheels are American classic tubeless, so just looking at replacing the Rim, reusing the spokes to save some money,
i've been nosing the net at various options, the amclassic 101 rim is closest to what ison buta smaller profile, so looked at stans crest and Alpine, Nukeproof generator Tr, Spank Oozy evo, mavic 819 etc, but thought I'd ask the collective for any other idea's or obvious rims i've missed?? Ideally keeping the weight close to original, -330 grams +100 or so,

Thanks in advance,

Timmo

·
Bipolar roller
1,353 Posts
Check out eastons. I have owned a set of 26" xc 2's since '06 and they are bullet proof. I am 230 to 240lbs and rode them in Chico (Nor Cal Sierra Nevada foothills, lots of chunk) before I moved to Tahoe where they are still in use today. I ride them on black and double black diamond singletracks up here which destroy 29er wheels and the Easton's perform with no issues and are very stiff and tough. Great wheels.

I am switching to a 20mm thru axle and will be buying a easton havoc front due to my great experience with the xc 2's.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Had that Deathly Twang noise this morning out riding with the club, slightly angled take off on one jump landing into a Puddle, as landed Hit a sharp rock submerged in teh puddle, Cue much hissing and my homebrew tubeless goo firing everywhere, we had a look, managed to straighten the lip enough to get a tube in and the tyre to seat, but the rims toast! Insides deformed, Bulged the rim itself outand has put a Good buckle in it that isnt going to true out,
The wheels are American classic tubeless, so just looking at replacing the Rim, reusing the spokes to save some money,
i've been nosing the net at various options, the amclassic 101 rim is closest to what ison buta smaller profile, so looked at stans crest and Alpine, Nukeproof generator Tr, Spank Oozy evo, mavic 819 etc, but thought I'd ask the collective for any other idea's or obvious rims i've missed?? Ideally keeping the weight close to original, -330 grams +100 or so,

Thanks in advance,

Timmo
If you must reuse the spokes, you need a rim with the same ERD. That limits your options. The weight you want limits them even more.

AFAIK Easton does not offer rims, just compete wheels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The closest from AC is the 101 rim Which is a little different, have been researching other options but will be giving the UK distributor shortly! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts