Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am in a predicament. I want to purchase either a Dawg or a Kikapu, but cannot decide on which bike to buy. Im 5'11" 215lbs, and ride down south in Baton Rouge, La (not the most mountainous of terrain). I jump and do small drops < or = 3ft. Any input on the matter will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Can you test ride them both? They have a somewhat different riding position. The Kikapu is a bit more stretched out, a bit lower handlebar position for more XC oriented riding. The Dawg is a more upright riding position and a little slacker on the Head Angle for downhill stability. By your terrain I would say Kikapu but the Dawg is fun on the flatter stuff too. If you were going to race XC then the Kikapu would be the way to go. If you might want to do a bit of freestyle type riding the Dawg would better suit. I think it's a bit more about what you want to do with the bike and what feels more comfortable. I can road ride my Dawg all day and feel real comfortable. I wouldn't necessarily enter an XC race with my Dawg though. Unless you get to the higher ends of the two models there isn't a weight difference worth mentioning either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only racing I intend to do is a few duathlons and adventure races. Im more about riding and banging around. I have test ridden a Dawg and liked it. I think it hauls butt. I have yet to try a Kikapu. I want a bike that I dont have to worry about screwing up, but I also dont want to overkill and buy something that isnt necessary.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Comfort still has to rule IMO but if I had planned on racing I would have picked the Kikapu when I was agonizing over this same decision last year. If I was going for the Kikapu I would get the "King Kikapu" at least or if I had the scratch I would go for "The King" That is one nice outfit but a sizable jump in cost (1900 vs 3000). Worth it from a "get what you pay for" stand point but I don't know your budget.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Some Kona dealers will deal a bit under list or you might be able to get your hands on an 05 leftover though doubtful. My local Kona dealer had a few Kikapu's in the 18+ frame size that may still be available. I've been meaning to stop in and see if he had any 06 bikes yet. I guess If I were going to do some fun XC racing in La I would go for a 05 Kikapu Delux or an 06 King Kikapu (practically the same bike).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dawg

I am 5' 11", 200# and I bought a dawg. I like the extra travel for comfort and overall performance. The kikapu is a race bike for us heavier guys. I wouldn't trust under me for more than 2 ft of air between me and the ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
brad8283 said:
Hey all,

I am in a predicament. I want to purchase either a Dawg or a Kikapu, but cannot decide on which bike to buy. Im 5'11" 215lbs, and ride down south in Baton Rouge, La (not the most mountainous of terrain). I jump and do small drops < or = 3ft. Any input on the matter will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
I would go with a 2006 King Kikapu Msrp 1899.00 for trails Like Rustin The Kikapu will rock the house...The Dawg is also a great bike but I think the clear winner is the kikapu It will take 3 ft drops and is more of a race bike (fox rp3 rocks)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Dawg

nrcycles said:
I would go with a 2006 King Kikapu Msrp 1899.00 for trails Like Rustin The Kikapu will rock the house...The Dawg is also a great bike but I think the clear winner is the kikapu It will take 3 ft drops and is more of a race bike (fox rp3 rocks)
I have never riden the Kik ...but recently bought a Dawg, at my local trail today all the kids were posing on stinkys big hits anfd orange 223's ...
I rolled along behind them and cleared the same stuff lol and then while they pushed to the top i rode up and did it again ...Dawg is a cool light do it all bike IMO.

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Just my $.02

I ended up picking up a 2005 King Kikapu at the beginning of the season, and have done numerous upgrades to it, both at the time of the build and after. I immediately fell in love with it due to the way it can handle anything that's thrown at it, and can climb extremely well. Also possibly most importantly, it fits me perfectly. I got a 20" frame, whereas when I first got into the sport, I picked up a 21" Trek since Trek only made a 19" and a 21", not a 20".

Hope my $.02 nonsense helped some.

BTW, for 2006 as you probably already know, Kona kind of restructured the Kikapu lineup, so the 2006 King Kikapu is not necessarily what the King Kikapu was for 2005, and so on.

:)

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
215 pounds = Dawg

Get a bike out of the Dawg line. The extra little weight vs a Kikapu model is negligible when you are already 215lbs, yet can be a big difference in durability down the trail. Have fun riding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.