Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Been looking at the Kikapu for a little while and saw the deal at wheelworld which sounds great but had a few questions someone here might be able to help out with.
First, I ride mostly XC but do a 2 foot drop here and there. Is that going to be too much for a Kikapu? I figured a 4" xc bike should be right but wasn't sure. I ride an Enduro now but don't max it out to it's ability at all...
Second, I saw some posts about people putting the $99 Man 3-way on it but didn't hear results, just doing it. I was trying to decide between a $240 kikapu with a Vanilla shock, and look to upgrade maybe to a 3-way after, or just spend 320 on a deluxe with a float but that didn't seem like worth the money if I might upgrade to a pro-pedal soon afterward.
Is the Kikapu with the Vanilla decent? or will I regret it...
I should have gotten to a shop to try a few out but the sale ends tomorrow...

Any experiences for the above?

Thanks a lot!
MIke

·
Registered
52 Posts
depends on your weight.....I'm 195 and the vanilla is too soft. I know a guy who is about 155 though and he loves it. Kikapu can handle 2 footers no problem.....and it's nice and light, so you can throw it around....

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd buy the cheaper frame and replace the Vanilla with the cheap Swinger 3-way. That'd make a pretty good foundation for a solid and rugged XC bike, which sounds like more than enough for your needs.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I am also thinking about buy one of those cheap kikapu frames and swapping all my kona HT parts over to it. I really have been planning on buying a dawg but I can never get enough cash. every time I start to get close I have an unexpected bill. So how tough are the Kikapus? Are they as tough as say a giant trance. similar 4 inch trail bike. that coupon has been extened to the 20th.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm 6'3" about 210 lbs and mine is holding up pretty well. I did find a small crack in my seatstay at the bottom bolt hole (search this forum for 'cracked' or something), but my dealer hooked me up with a replacement several months ago and it has been doing fine since. I ride/race mostly XC, but aren't afraid of small jumps or drops in the trail.

Those Kona frames and Manitou shocks are such a good deal right now, you should snatch them both up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.