Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Just a reminder about the kids races out at Prairie City that start this week (Wednesday).... they are a hoot! Round up your kids, the neighbor kids etc and come on out for some great fun :) Info is HERE.

See you there!

Brian

Attachments

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
I'm thinking about this. It's a very long drive for me, coming from San Jose. Is it worth it, for the kids?

I'm not a racer and don't plan to race myself.

·
I dig trails!
5,575 Posts
I'm thinking about this. It's a very long drive for me, coming from San Jose. Is it worth it, for the kids?

I'm not a racer and don't plan to race myself.
The kids race is about 15 minutes of "racing" and more oriented towards fun. You'll have to decide if the trade off of travel time vs. 15 minutes of race is worth it.

Bonus is the kids get to hang with a lot of riders & experience some MTB culture (or otherwise :D )

P

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the kids get to hang with a lot of riders & experience some MTB culture (or otherwise :D )

P
85% of the kids who race NorCal High School League races will never get to a podium. The idea of racing and training and success has to change or you are just fooling yourself. so what you really train for is the experience;training with friends, taking care of your bike, the prep, supporting your teammates, sacrifices, allowing your family to be close to this, travel to beautiful places, the festivity, the team tent and food, the starting line, and doing your best.

Further, regular mountain bikers are very different from racers but a race can define riding for regular mountain bikers. That is because it is one of the few times that they experience more than their riding buds on a trail. So the cultural experience is huge. Sea Otter is a great example of that.

So is it for the racing....no...but racing brings a certain level of performance, an appreciation of how we treat each other during high stress, and finding out that the mtb community is pretty dang cool.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,502 Posts
Awww man, that’s a bit of a drive from San Jose. :sad: My two boys (age 6 and 7.5) did their first race at Sea Otter this year, and they are completely stoked for next year. It’d be great to find somewhere a bit closer to home for them to get more racing under their helmets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts