Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took 2 of my kids riding yesterday. My 13 y/o daughter has been before and likes it but isn't too brave with anything technical. My 7 y/o son joined us for the first time. He rode a torker 20 in wheeled bmx type bike. Although he was not very brave with the creek crossings and any drainage ditch crossings, he had a blast. the best part was when we got home the first thing he did was to get out the hose and wash his bike, without being told. His mom looked at me and said "the apple didn't fall far from the tree with that one did it" Today when I went out to get a fast ride in, he was heart broken when I told him he couldn't go today. So it looks like I've got a new riding partner, I guess I will start looking for a24 in wheeled mountain bike

·
My spelling is atroshus
790 Posts
I took my 8 and 11 year old and they pitched and moaned the whole time. There wasn't much passion to be had that day.:D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Two of mine love to ride
Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Natural environment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would have loved to take pics but was too busy w/ working the tech skills but next ride i will shoot some photos for you all

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I love my family and I have a great time when I'm playing along with my kids. I also have a passion for mountain biking. Today those two merged and we had a fantastic time.

We went to a relatively flat trail spent about three hours riding. In his words, "that was awesome!" :thumbsup:

Bicycle wheel Bicycle Bicycle helmet Helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant Plant community Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Natural environment Plant

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle Helmet Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle clothing

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Mountain bike Bicycle wheel rim

·
Formerly mtbnoobadam
694 Posts
My 5 year old wants nothing to do with bikes since she took a spill learning how to ride without training wheels a year ago. Hopefully my 2 year old will stick with it. She likes her little balance bike and she likes to work on it like Dad :D

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
My five year old girl LOVES riding offroad. I've taken her a few times this season... she just got her training wheels off a few months ago!

Thus far I upgraded her to a 16" wheel BMX, and she's learning to ride standing up on it. The brake levers are too big for her hands, but luckily the bike has a coaster brake as well. She gets bummed when I go riding without her.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
There's a chip off the old block. Looks like you guys had a great time. I had a bit of anxiety when I took my 7 yr old to the trails a few weeks go. Ten minutes into the ride he says "This is cool, Daddy" and all was well.:thumbsup:
I had some anxiety, also... I had my normal saddle bag kit for bike related repairs and I also wore my camelbak loaded for kid related repairs (a few bandages, some jelly beans in case he wore out, wet wipes, extra water, etc.). :D

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
ok i have an 8 year old son and i need to get him a mtn bike!!! what are my options? what works for your tikes?
You'll probably get better answers to technical questions over in the Families and Riding with Kids. Here, we just post up how much we love it. ;)

Our oldest son will turn 8 this summer and he's of average height. He barely fits on a 24" wheeled MTB that has a 13" frame. But, he's learned how to handle it and you can tell there will be no turning back for him. I've seen a lot of other kids about his height on Specialized Hotrock and Trek MT220 bikes. Both seem to be fairly common on Craigs List.

·
mad scientist
21 Posts
that's true - i will def check it out in that other forum. i can share how much we love biking together and he does great on his "ss" lol 20" bmx bike, but we do have lots of hills here, all gravel or grass/dirt so more than one gear would be nice. i always ride next to him with my hand either pushing on his back, or pulling on his handlebars as we 'power' up hills together. not for the faint of heart or balance.

so ... to keep it in the spirit of the thread, we love our time out on the trails. (next to add a trailer so i can bring along the 1 year old)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts