Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
75% Mountain cycle
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dreamed this thing up a few months ago but it wasn't until a bike became available (Trash Day) that I was able to convert this bike into a No-Speed Fred Flintstone bike for the little guy (20 months old).

Even after his bath and in his PJ's he wouldn't get off it. He hasn't gotten his feet up off the ground to coast yet but he's close. He has been riding (running) this thing all over the place. His two older brothers and all the neighbor kids fight over who gets to ride it next.

Notice the Ti Saddle and high impact plastic wheels with tubless tires. Nothing but the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
SanAnMan said:
I dreamed this thing up a few months ago but it wasn't until a bike became available (Trash Day) that I was able to convert this bike into a No-Speed Fred Flintstone bike for the little guy (20 months old).

Even after his bath and in his PJ's he wouldn't get off it. He hasn't gotten his feet up off the ground to coast yet but he's close. He has been riding (running) this thing all over the place. His two older brothers and all the neighbor kids fight over who gets to ride it next.

Notice the Ti Saddle and high impact plastic wheels with tubless tires. Nothing but the best.
He's even riding rigid! Hardcore!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow that is sick. Both my sons learned to ride a bike without training wheels...ever. They both rode or pushed a 12 inch with no cranks or chain........it did not take them long to push and then lift their feet an coast. After that I put the cranks back on and off they went. Both by the time they where four.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
That's awesome. I am going to make one of those next summer.

If you have time, post some quick instructions on howyou made it. didyou have to weld anything? or just hack saw and bolts?

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
SanAnMan said:
Brilliant! Just what I wast looking for. I have a 22 month old and he climbs all over the too big bike I have for him in the living room. He knows the pedals, seat, handlebars etc and tells me about how the chain moves the wheel.

Your idea will get him rollin!

Thanks!

1 question:

The "seatpost" thingy, was that part of the bike or did you fabricate it.

Mr. P

·
75% Mountain cycle
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Target bike was my inspiration

That target bike is what inspired me to make this beast. But, at $90, I couldn't justify it since I was not sure he'd go for it - you know how kids are.

The seatpost thingy is a fabrication. I got a flat steel bar at Home depot that internally was just as wide as an old seatpost upper clamp mechanism. I can take a close up tonight and post it since it's impossible to explain. I measured his little inseam and made the seat height at about that. Here's a pic of him flat footed.

I used the hole for the kick stand and it had one water bottle mount on the down tube I used to bolt the seatpost deal down.

He loves his bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I spent a whole summer as a teenager that way, but not by choice at first. My parents had bought a cheap wal-mart bmx 20" for me, and in a few months the cranks exploded. I had no idea about bike repairs or what not, so I just took the whole one piece crank, bottom bracket out. I took a piece of 2x4, cut it down, pounded it through. I was a cross country runner, trained all the time, so I would run the uphills while my buds struggled to pedal, then jump on and coast on the "pegs" I had created on the downhills. I learned to get down in a aerodynamic position, remount, even jump. I think it helped me with my cyclocross mounts now. I had a ton of fun on that bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The other trick is to set up the push bike with a small sidepull brake. I picked up a cheap bmx-type brakeset at a local shop and put in on our kids' 16" wheeled bikes. You can lower the seat all the way, and take off the pedals. The nice thing about the hand brake is that they learn early on how they will probably be braking most of their bikes, and they don't have to drag their feet to slow down.

Cheap razor scooters are also really good for letting the kiddos learn balance and braking on their own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.