Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Please do post more info on these bamboo frames. Just beautiful! Do you sell them or just for family? How do they ride? And so on...

Inquiring minds...
I didn't want to hijack this thread so I'll start another thread soon. It's just a hobby. I'm building just for friends and family. Haven't ridden Ti but it rides much smoother than any steel or alu I've ridden. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I’m sure you’d get lots of interest if you started a separate thread on this. I’m very intrigued, especially about the joinery and how you arrived at that geometry. I don’t want to hijack this thread either, so I’ll leave it at that:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
This thread is great idea!

May I suggest People include short description, specification please?

Or if possible link to thread about their build?

Many thanks
Well , the 46er 1x8 is the bastard offspring of a 24" Giant MTX, a Late 90's Trek ZX6000 and an assortment of parts bin items I had.
Shimano STX-RC Rear Hub, Rear Derailleur, Brakes, and Trigger Shifter.
Rhyno Lite 24" Rear Rim with Kenda small block 8 tire
Bontrager Race 26" Front wheel with a Geax Saguaro 2.2 tire
Jamis steel fork
Sinz crank & BB with a 34t ring and BBG Bashguard
Blingy Carbon post
Specialized Rockhopper bars with a Hussefeldt stem.

It was a winter project. I got both bikes used for $50 each at a LBS. The Giant was close to 30lbs in stock form - down to about 22 or 23 now. It rides and handles very nicely for him. The 26" front wheel gives him good rollover capabilty and he can clear a lot of things he had no chance on with his 20" Pre-Caliber last year. I kept it simple for him with the 1x8. He picked up shifting pretty quickly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My son at the Stowe VT Bike park in 2007, at six years old:

He's eleven now, about five feet tall and 85 pounds, riding an extra small 2003 26" Gary Fisher Tassajara craigslist special.

·
Fight the Kakistocracy!
259 Posts
Clothing Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Mountain bike

My little man at our local 4 mile loop. He has pulled this off at night too. He once did 7 miles at elevation, with a 16" singlespeed, that put a hurt on his much older sister and cousins. I keep looking for a 24" FSR Hotrock, but have an XS Titus hardtail in the wings ( can fit like a 24"). A dad's day photo for you too..
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
School's out now so have more time to take them out for a spin. Did a little singletrack. Didn't get as far as I wanted but it was a really hot day so they were a little miserable and whiny.

Nothing like kicking off the shoes and dipping in the river to cool off and boost morale.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A couple shots from my 8y/o daughter's first kids' group ride at the local trail. My 12y/o was off with the older group; didnt' see him until they were done. It's great for him b/c I've been virtually unable to ride due to back injury this year, so he finally gets to get a good ride in.
She was kind of hesitant at first, but ended up having a blast. Only she could pull off the kitty helmet :thumbsup:
Bike is a Trek MT60. I'll be changing to 7spd freewheel & ditching the twist shifter this weekend.
(Photos courtesy of 331 Racing - thanks!!)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Took the training wheels off my 5 y-o`s bike last week.
He`s been so eager to follow his 7 y-o brother and dad on the trails!

The 2 y-o sister didn`t want to stay home either so I brought her in the chariot on the trails! I could hear her laughing as we hit small bumps :D

So much fun!

1 - 20 of 615 Posts