Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13yr old daughter wants to start mountain biking with her 'ol dad but I really don't know where to start as far as a bike goes. I don't want to lay out a lot of cash in case this is a flash in the pan sort of thing but at the same time I want to get something that's a 45lb beast that'll shake her to death and extinguish and desire to ride.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any recommendations? She's 5'4" so I guess a small woman's bike/frame would work.

I plan on starting with canal/Papago type stuff with her.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
My 13yr old daughter wants to start mountain biking with her 'ol dad but I really don't know where to start as far as a bike goes. I don't want to lay out a lot of cash in case this is a flash in the pan sort of thing but at the same time I want to get something that's a 45lb beast that'll shake her to death and extinguish and desire to ride.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any recommendations? She's 5'4" so I guess a small woman's bike/frame would work.

I plan on starting with canal/Papago type stuff with her.
some 24inch spec. hotrocks on CL now

·
A plethora of pinatas
1,260 Posts
My son started on a 24" Hotrock back when he was 8 years old. If she is 5'4', get her on a 26" bike. There are several 26" options out there that won't break the bank that are not 45 lbs tanks.

I would suggest starting her off on a HT for the weight and price factor. Plus, it will teach her better handling skills since she will not have to rely on the Full Suspension to make up for her mistakes.

·
gravity challenged
208 Posts
My 13 yr old daughter is about 5'4" and rides a 17" Specialized Myca HT disc. Locally we mostly have done the Mcdowell sport loop together but have also ridden near Granite Mtn in Prescott, a couple of trails in Sedona , and most recently Lower Moto and Schultz Creek in Flag. She does great and it is really rewarding to be out there with her having fun!

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually put her on my old Cannondale Super-V. It was too small for me and a little too large for her but I think it will end up working out pretty well, especially as she continues to grow.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
My oldest daughter 14 is on a 2005 jamis dakar xlt size xs weighing in at 30.5 thanks to some good pats.Fit her perfect but she is growing out of it. I also have a super xtra small titus racer x which my 8 year old will be getting built up for her in the next year or 2 with 24" wheels to start before moving her to 26".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.