Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my two boys dropper posts sometime on or before Xmas.

Anybody have examples of external dropper posts that will work for kids weighing 55 and 100 lbs, and for 27.2 posts?

Boy 1: 8yo 100 lb, 24" hardtail
Seatpost 6 5/8" 169mm from collar to rails
Over 10" 254mm insertion

Boy 2: 7yo 55 lbs 20" hardtail
Seatpost 6 1/8" 156mm from collar to rails
8 5/8" 219mm insertion at least

Here is what I'm currently planning:

Boy 1 Brand X Ascend II 105mm

Boy 2 PNW Fern 90

· Registered
911 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the PNW Fern. I swear CRC used to have better specs for their Brand-X droppers with full dimensions. The one issue you may run into with them is that Ascend II is the minimum weight is listed at 50kg (110 lbs). Brand-X does have a 27.2mm kids dropper made for 44-88 lbs range, but it is internal only.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered the fern and the ascend ii. Wanted to try the ascend to max out the travel. And he's a heavy 100 lbs lol. So I will make a review or update this post.

If the bikes weren't 27.2, at least the 24" one, there would have been more options I think.

The ascend ii is in customs coming from CRC, so crossing fingers or doesn't take too long.

· Registered
167 Posts
Probably sold out - there were only a couple left when I bought ours a few weeks ago. At 80lbs your kid might be OK with a regular non-kids dropper like the Brand X linked above or the PNW Pine. My 75lb 10 year old uses an external KS dropper without any issues. Might be worth an email to PNW.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
I think that is about what a Rascal Devine is actually. I think its all the same post as the Devine but just pre-cut short.

Here's the rub (literally). I tried the Rascal on a 20" Yama Jama. It was awful...and I love Bike Yoke. The whole thing is because its actuated via the HOUSING moving the actuator rather than the internal cable moving the actuator. Very similar to the OneUp v1 post. Perhaps fine for an adult with a high leverage remote but it sucks for kids. The main reason it was so bad for us is that the routing was tight...but when you couple that tight routing with a post that requires the housing to move-to-actuate, the post literally failed to work at all. This happened on the OneUps with some bikes as well. Thankfully they went entirely away from that design with OneUps 2.1 actuator. In short, the devine was lame for us.

KS Lev Integra is by far the best we've used...and we've used a bunch. Its insanely smooth too with insanely tight routing through the BB cup. My 55lb youngest can easily push it down with his hand with zero issue. Most of that is because of the guts. My OneUp post requires minimum of about 240PSI to work. I'm running the kids Lev at 82 psi lol. If its down for like 20 minutes it'll stick down sometimes but that's the only issue and its not really an issue. Its not as compact or adjustable like the OneUp tho.

My oldest boy is almost 80lbs and moving to a 27.5 bike soon. I'm likely going to go with the OneUp v2 for that unless someone pops up saying that sucks or there is a better option.

· Registered
27 Posts
I am now looking at the 9point8 fall line r. Seems light. I am worried about buying a small light post and then wanting more drop. Seems crazy to be replacing these expensive parts relatively frequently.
The KS lev is just so heavy for its price. Maybe I’m putting too much consideration into weight…

· Registered
27 Posts
I have one (fern) that I’ll be installing on a Woom off air 4 after Xmas. I’ll report back. My son is 7 and under 50 pounds.
Installed the PNW Fern. He had a hard time getting it to drop at first (I don’t know why) and was trying to bounce on it to apply more force. But after some time he had it under control without jumping into it. Haven’t taken it to the trails yet due to rain.

· Registered
911 Posts
One up just announced that they are adding a 90mm dropper to the lineup. Shimmable to 80mm or 70mm drop, internal routing, 30.9, 31.6, 34.9mm diameters, 167mm insertion length and 290mm total length at 90mm drop.

Unfortunately, they aren't available to order quite yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.