Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Any advice on a kids DJ sizing? Getting some conflicting advice. Will use it for jump lines more than skate park. Kid is an a slightly shorter than average 8 year old.
I can only speak from personal experience of my kid, which isn't scientific at all:

He started riding seriously on a 24" MTB at 8 years old. I then bought him a BMX after reading this board for a bit and to allow us to extend riding opportunities during rainy periods. Now 11 years old, he likes his BMX well enough and likes to jib on it, but he's more comfortable going big (Cease and Desist or Gregory Park size) on his MTB (now on an XS Giant 27.5").

We just recently purchased a large DJ (It was really for me to use at pumptracks), and he likes the feel of it because he's more comfortable on his MTB than on his BMX and the DJ (for him) feels more like an MTB, even though it's technically too big for him.

There's a good deal on a p3 on NWA Bicycle Trader right now if you haven't already seen it.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Iirc you have a 20 Yama Jama like we do. We are moving to a 24" FS and I'm considering taking the 20" YJ and throwing some highrise bmx bars on it, DJ tires, lot of psi in the fork and trying that as a send-it bike for dirt Jump lines (we have a 16" bmx too).

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know you indicated, you have 20" BMX... Not to be smartass, but can he jump on it. If no, I recommend stay with the 20" until they are skilled on it.. IMO, faster progression with skill.

Also, not all bmx 20" geos are the same.. general bmx, bmx race, bmx dirt and bmx street/park...

If he knows how to ride and jump... you could w/ spawn even though your son is 52 inches... you may need change bars with higher riser and increase stem by 10mm.

Other option, NSbikes Clash Jr is larger or you can check blackmarket bikes "lil monster 24" (multiple sizes and frame only option). My kid was on Clash Jr until 5'2"

Morpheus Vimana Jr is another sik kids DJ
https://www.morpheusbikes.com/k-i-d-s

If he has skill... he should be able to handle larger frame, just harder for him to do spin tricks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know you indicated, you have 20" BMX... Not to be smartass, but can he jump on it. If no, I recommend stay with the 20" until they are skilled on it.. IMO, faster progression with skill.

Also, not all bmx 20" geos are the same.. general bmx, bmx race, bmx dirt and bmx street/park...

If he knows how to ride and jump... you could w/ spawn even though your son is 52 inches... you may need change bars with higher riser and increase stem by 10mm.

Other option, NSbikes Clash Jr is larger or you can check blackmarket bikes "lil monster 24" (multiple sizes and frame only option). My kid was on Clash Jr until 5'2"

Morpheus Vimana Jr is another sik kids DJ
https://www.morpheusbikes.com/k-i-d-s

If he has skill... he should be able to handle larger frame, just harder for him to do spin tricks.
That is a sick bike! Yeah, he can jump pretty well. He does BMX, both race and park stuff. We have some really cool dirt jump parks (check out The Railyard in Rogers, AR.)

We went ahead and got the 24" Kotori frame. It was on a steep discount and we can build it up from there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice... looking forward to the final build. I have set 24" mtx33 w/ pro hope 4 hubs in great shape. if you are looking for wheelset. They where orginally on my kid's Clash Jr. Send me IM if interested.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything ordered... I am realizing this may not feel totally like a DJ for a couple of years. The 24" Kotori frame is awesome but to really get the DJ feel he probably needed the 20" frame as his size. That being said everything is ordered. This will be our first real build.

24" Kotori Frame
RockShox Reba Fork 100mm
Trailcraft Cranks (Gonna probably trade these out on the Spawn)
RaceFace Riser Handlebar
MTX33 24" Wheels
Hope Pro 4 Hubs
New Hayes kids brakes

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bro thats a pretty nice build lol. Hayes brakes and hope hubs! Fun stuff man.

Hey what is that saddle? Is it super light by chance? I need something really light and small in black.
Tioga D-Spyder. It is 145g
They sell in black and green. Its on sale rt now at a few places. It is carbonite composite shell. Plus it was green which was most important for the little guy.

There was a guy on here who sold me the wheels and hubs! Great get there!

Yeah, we probably got carried away, which from the looks on here, is pretty easy to do. It's a DJ so probably could have spec'd down a few of the components but what fun is that! It is our first build so I will put up some pics of progress!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.