Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my son is turning 7 in a month and I have been looking at kids mountain bikes for his birthday. He loves to ride and I try to take him with me on some of the easier trails.
Some of the bikes I have looked at so far are:
Trek Mt 60
Specialized Hotrock 20/24
Gary Fisher Cosmo
IBEX Alpine 320k
Diamondback Octane 24

I'm not really sure whether he is ready for a 24" yet even though he is tall for his age so I am going to have him try out a few to see what is appropriate. I would really like to get the 24 because I hate to shell out $200+ only to have him outgrow it in a year and I think that the bigger wheel size will help him on some of the technical stuff. At the same time though, I don't want him to get in over his head because the bike is way too big.

I have been really dissapointed at how heavy all these bikes are (although the IBEX claims 23.5lbs). It seems like humping around a bike half your weight would really suck.
I haven't been able to find anyone selling kids frames that I could build up with my own part stock to make the lightest bike possible.

So, my questions are:
1. Does anyone have any experience with any of the bikes listed above or can they make suggestions to other models as well?
2. Are there any kids frame manufacturers out there that sell kid frames?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
If he can fit a 24" go fer it, it will last a lot more and the expense will be less on the long run.

My kid has an Octane 24, now is a singlespeed for him to have fun around the neighborhood. The component group on his was a POS, I literally replaced everything but the frame, headset and rims. He now rides a 13" GF Marlin.

When we got it he rode it with the saddle all the way down and a dh stem, the bike lasted a couple of months on that config but eventually the saddle was raised and the stem replaced with a longer one. The message behind this is that kids grown quickly and a bike that fits now will be small in no time.

The Octane 24 after upgrades

Octane 24 SS

The Hotrock A1-FSR is the best that I've seen, the suspension really works. Other nice one is the Trek Mt 240, looks like a mini Elite 9.9, the Mt 220 is also nice, much better than the GF Tyro.

Hotrock A1-FSR

Mt. Track 240

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the SS idea since I only ride rigid SS, but he is at the age where no matter what I tell him, he wants gears because his buddies bikes have gears. I personally don't really think he needs any suspension at this point and should learn to ride by choosing the correct line, but all of the kiddy mtb's I have seen so far have some sort of crappy front shock, and I am sure the peer pressure is on for a front shock.

I'll definately check out the Trek Mt Track 220 and 240, they have a good 'clean' look.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I assembled one not long ago at the shop, it has nice components and looks like a shrinked grown up bike.

Trek used to make a version of the MT220 with a rigid fork, check the LBS or online for one; think is the MT200 or 210 but don't recall the exact model.

For youngsters suspension is just added weight, on the 24" bike market seems that rigid forks aren't that popular with the manufacturers.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Diamond Back Octane and Raleigh Scout 24" bikes (same frame) are both smaller frames as far as 24" bikes go. My daughter's Scout is 3 years old. She's 11 now and out growing it. It survived her riding and her father occasionally borrowing it at the skatepark.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My six-year-old son rides an Octane 20, and we are very happy with it. All the components work well and are very easy to use. We went with it because of the lower cost as we knew we would be replacing it in a few years.

If your son is large enough for a 24 inch wheel, you may want to look into some of the extra-small frames for 26 inch wheels. You'll get the benefit of the larger wheels and longer use by changing out the stem and seat post. Good luck! I'm sure he'll love whatever bike you decide to go with. Most kids love hitting the trails with a parent.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
galleywench said:
I'm not really sure whether he is ready for a 24" yet even though he is tall for his age so I am going to have him try out a few to see what is appropriate.
That's the best thing to do. You might be surprised. I sure was a few years back when I bought my then seven-year-old (or was he eight?) a Specialized Hotrock. The dealer came out wheeling this 24-inch model for him to try, and I'm thinking "no way!". But, doggone it, the bike fit. My son loved it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering how to tell if my son is big enough for a 24" bike. i was looking at some 20" ones, but i figure if he's ready maybe we should get a 24". He's 6 yrs old, 7 in November and stands 4'2".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.