Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd throw this out there since there are always posts from parents about what bike to get their kids. I have an 11yo son (who's on the small side for his age) and a 9yo daughter (who's nearly as tall as my son now and I can't begin to tell you the problems that causes between them! :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, we got our daughter a Specialzed Hotrock for Christmas and it's been a great bike for her. Very solid, decent components, and more of an "adult" look to it than some kid's bikes out there. Let's face it, kids do care about aesthetics too. We've been very happy with this bike so far and it's handled some fairly rough xc rides like a champ.

Well, yesterday I was heading down to do some trail riding with son (he uses his sister's bike for these rides) when my cell rings. Its my buddy at the lbs and he's got good news! My son's new trail bike is in! I ask him if he wants to just go ride or pick up the new bike and do a shorter ride....any guesses which he chose? Riding is great, picking up a brand new bike and riding it is even better!!!!

About the bike though...we went with the Haro V24 for him and I have to admit, it's one sweet little bike. They lowered the standover a bit from what I understand and its spot on for him (he's about 4'-7"). The components are a little nicer than the Specialized and the looks are every bit as good if not better. On the trail, it seemed to handle very well and he said he liked it better than the Specialized (which may be simply because it was his sister's). It is definitely close to an adult bike in a kids size. I won't post all the specs and stuff unless someone really wants them but I thought I'd just chime in since we have experience now with both bikes.

In the end, I'd highly recommend them both. The Haro is a tad bigger and a little burlier so I'd lean that way if you child is going to do any real trail riding. Price wise, they are almost identical. The Haro gets little press here so if you are looking for one for your kid to rip on, it is certaily worth considering.

Have fun riding with your kids and don't hesitate to post back if you'd like any more info. FYI, Im a researchaholic so I didn't buy either of these bikes without a good bit of thought.

Peace and light,
nam

·
Registered
360 Posts
At first I thought you were looking for a child's bike, and I was already thinking of the Hotrock. More parents should look into the bike shops for kids bikes.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
pls--more info

I will be getting my 8 yr old daughter a new bike in September. She is a little over 4 feet and weighs about 60 lbs. She needs more gears & a bigger bike, she's currently on a small Giant :D with 7 speed. She needs a granny gear for sure. Do these bikes come with 26 inch wheels or 24? How many gears? Front shock?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jimmy said:
I will be getting my 8 yr old daughter a new bike in September. She is a little over 4 feet and weighs about 60 lbs. She needs more gears & a bigger bike, she's currently on a small Giant :D with 7 speed. She needs a granny gear for sure. Do these bikes come with 26 inch wheels or 24? How many gears? Front shock?
its built around a 24" frame (both the Spec and the Haro). My daughter's Hotrock is a 21 speed whereas the Haro is a 24spd with Acera derailers and Sram MRX shifters. its got a decent wheelset and Suntour front suspension. The suspension on the Haro actually works whereas its more for show on the Hotrock. In the end, my son will destroy this fork in a few months and we'll put something more legit on it but he rides really hard for his age. That's not to be boastful, I just want to point out that this kid rides VERY aggressively so generally I think the stock suspension wil hold up for most.

Ill post a pick of him with the bike if you'd like. It should give some perspective as to sizing and let you see the bike itself.

The Scott product is very nice as well, just tough to find around. The Trek MT220 is also worth considering in that same price range but I think the Trek is a little underspec'd relative to the Scott or the Haro. If you want to drop coin, the Kona Stuff Jr. is one hot little bike although its around $700.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.