Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my boy is definatly out shredding his rigid mtn bike. I really want to get him on a fully. Im looking to build him up a 24 inch full suspension bike that he can start riding the tuffer trails on. I am on sort of a budget with this. Anyone have any ideas on frames?

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
Greffster said:
Ok so my boy is definatly out shredding his rigid mtn bike. I really want to get him on a fully. Im looking to build him up a 24 inch full suspension bike that he can start riding the tuffer trails on. I am on sort of a budget with this. Anyone have any ideas on frames?
I went through this a few years back. I ended up getting my kid a Kona 24'' hardtail. If you really want a fs bike that doesn't weigh as much as your house you will spend buckoo bucks. Even his Hula weighs about 30lbs and that's a lot higher bike weight to kid strength/weight ratio than you and I are used to pushing, and the kids are not nearly as strong. Makes it tough on the climbs for sure.

Anyhow the advice I was given at the time was to get him into a 26'' bike if at all possible. Maybe an xs frame. Depending on his age and height those wheels might seem huge, but if you get into the 26'' frame options there are a lot of bikes to choose from that are light. Not sure what you budget is but maybe a xs used SC Superlight or something can be found for cheap, relatively speaking.

Good luck.

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thats what I was thinking. Im gonna try and find a xs frame and maybe put 24 inch wheels on it till hes big enough to hanle the 26ers.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Greffster said:
yea thats what I was thinking. Im gonna try and find a xs frame and maybe put 24 inch wheels on it till hes big enough to hanle the 26ers.
how tall? I have a M old superlight, setup for a 5'5" woman, looking to sell.

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
Greffster said:
Now that's an idea.

The fs 24'' bikes I saw (like Scott bikes) were in the thousands of dollars.....and he would have outgrown it in two years, and it probably would have very little resale value only b/c of it's size. Would have been a great bike for a true junior racer with money to burn though, lol.

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well yea he is no where big enough for a 26 for sure. that will be a few years yet. hes tall for his age but not 5 foot yet so that bike u have cholla will be too big still. Thanx though. I found someScott bikes that might work around 500 or so, but Im gonna wait a bit and build him one up. Need to find a xs frame to star thte build, within 6 mths he should fit that.

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea just found a 24 inch stinky with his name on it!

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
even has 20 inch tires also lol. perfect! Im buying it!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Screw that man. Pull out the torch and welder and get busy adjusting a frame bike.

Cool deal. Ya'll need to keep those in good condition I will need your used bikes in a year or two.

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool sounds good matt. I have a rigid giant 20 inch that is good for starters.

·
Don't believe the Hype...
830 Posts
I actually have a 24" Kona Hula (Hardtail) my son has pretty much outgown that I would sell. PM me if you're interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts