Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the KHS Montana Descent line?

I have a line on one of these models on CR. I told the guy that I don't have much to offer but he still wants to meet. All I know about it is that he says he broke a spoke and that it has Suntour parts. Here are the pics he posted:

Does anyone recognize this? Is it worth picking up or is it not particularly nice?

BTW, I really dig the paint job!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He says that the shifters and derailleur says "XC Comp". This any good?

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
khs line was team(xtr), pro(xt/lx), montaña comp(lx), descent... if i remember correctly. i had a comp and it was awesome.
yours seem to be from an early lineage. that size seems to be a 21'. the ride is lively, forgiving though somewhat flexy. the 21' would be flexier. all in all they are great commuter bikes.
angles were always steep. a bit like bridgestones.

khs built many bikes for lots of brands. they had a lot fo buying power and could offer a great bike for a great price. from tubing to components their bikes were always a step above everybody else.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
colker1 said:
khs line was team(xtr), pro(xt/lx), descent(lx)... if i remember correctly. i had a descent and it was awesome.
yours seem to be from an early lineage. that size seems to be a 21'. the ride is lively, forgiving though somewhat flexy. the 21' would be flexier. all in all they are great commuter bikes.
angles were always steep. a bit like bridgestones.
So far from what i've gathered the bike is vintage 90-93 as those are the years when XC Comp was offered. As for the grouppo apparently XC Comp was second from the top behind XC Pro and ahead of XC Elite. All in all it seems like it was a pretty decent bike back in the day. It wasn't top-of-the-line but it wasn't bargain-basement either.

I'm hoping the guy will take my low-ball offer but if he doesn't he doesn't. I'm hoping to look at it tomorrow.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Slimpee said:
So far from what i've gathered the bike is vintage 90-93 as those are the years when XC Comp was offered. As for the grouppo apparently XC Comp was second from the top behind XC Pro and ahead of XC Elite. All in all it seems like it was a pretty decent bike back in the day. It wasn't top-of-the-line but it wasn't bargain-basement either.

I'm hoping the guy will take my low-ball offer but if he doesn't he doesn't. I'm hoping to look at it tomorrow.
Good luck on your offer - and if he takes it you can post good pictures of your bike in the new production bikes thread! :thumbsup:

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Slimpee said:

i have no idea what the "VRC" value of the KHS line is....but i do know that i still love riding my 93 montana pro. i find it a very stable bike that rides similar to my modern bikes in a lot of ways.

good luck, i like the paint job on that bike!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ferday said:
i have no idea what the "VRC" value of the KHS line is....but i do know that i still love riding my 93 montana pro. i find it a very stable bike that rides similar to my modern bikes in a lot of ways.

good luck, i like the paint job on that bike!
Yeah, i figure the paint job fits in well w/ many of the outlandish rigs you guys ride. It doesn't strike me as much of a collectible but it looks "retro" to me w/ the paint and the full rigid. Hell, it even has Suntour!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had an early 90's Montana Sport that had a very nice True Temper frame, fitted with lesser components than what you're looking at. If the price is right you can't go wrong...

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
bushpig said:
It is Suntour's equivalent to Deore. Fromthe discussion here it seems to be closer to Suntour's top end XC Pro than Deore or DX was to XT.
on a related note, XC Pro was considered by some to be a step above XT. It did cost a bit more than Deore XT and some bike lines had an XC Pro bike and an XT bike with the latter being at a lower price point. Kinda in between XT and XTR. And kinda how Campy claims Chorus is equivalent to Dura Ace and Record is a step above.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
on a related note, XC Pro was considered by some to be a step above XT. It did cost a bit more than Deore XT and some bike lines had an XC Pro bike and an XT bike with the latter being at a lower price point. Kinda in between XT and XTR. And kinda how Campy claims Chorus is equivalent to Dura Ace and Record is a step above.
yeah. i remember things being that way... weird, cause xt although heavier is more consistent.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
If the shoe fits...

I just sold the Montana Pro I had built up for my daughter. Although I am way to big to ride this frame, I had quite a few friends and guests and so on who usex it over the past few years and absolutely loved it. the frame was really well made with great details. Light and lively is how my girlfriend described it, and her regular ride is a Fat Chance Ti. If I had a shot at one in my size, I would grab it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
KHS Montana Pro FZ

Here is my first "real" bike, at least it was for me. I am in the process of building it back up. This is the KHS Montana Pro "FZ". The FZ was for the fact that it came with the front sussy fork. I loved the mix of components at the time. I couldn't afford my dream bike and this turned out to be a really great bike for me. It was pretty light too and I loved this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
bushpig said:
From the pics it looks like XCD which is cool stuff.
Great eye! I just came home w/ the bike. It has the following components:

Anybody have an idea of the date?
Frame: Cromo, "Infiniti-Butted". Tange tubing?
Fork: KHS Cromo
Headset: No-name
Stem: No-name, paint matches frame, front brake cable passes through it.
Handlebar: Avenir "True-Temper"
Brakes: XCD cantis
Brake Levers: Suntour "Multi-Mount"
Shifters: XC Comp thumbies
Front Derailleur: XCD
Rear Derailleur: XCD
Cranks: I believe XCD (the have the same gray finish as the other XCD parts)
Chainrings: Suntour "Accu-Shift" 46-36-26
Pedals: No-name w/ toe clips and straps
Quick Releases: Suntour
Rims: Ritchey Expert Vantage (Heat-treated 6061, 450 grams)
Hubs: XCD f/r
Tires: f-Ritchey Megabite, r-Tioga Farmer John (I LOVE the look of this tread)
Saddle: Avocet Gelflex M20
Seatpost: label rubbed off
Weight: I guess somewhere around 25 lbs.

It looks like almost everything is original except maybe one of the tires but then again I don't know. It definitely needs a rear spoke, tuneup, hub rebuild, probably a new freewheel, brake pads, cables etc. but i'm pretty stoked.

The paint is in OK condition. I has definitely been ridden and has some scratches, scuffs, etc. and the stickers aren't in great shape. Also, the owner added stickers that I wish weren't there.

I paid $80. Is this about right or did I get fleeced? Either way YEEHAW!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts