Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Yes. Lots.

Don't buy one. They crack at just about every weld junction on them. Plus there's that neat lump in the top tube to hit your nuts on.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
FoxRider77 said:
anyone ride a KHS dominatrix? They look pretty indestructable. Are there any problems with them?
Never even heard of it... got any pics?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,249 Posts
i have one that's over 5 years old, it is built up as a spare DH bike. personally i would stay away from it, the linkage alone makes it almost impossible to pedal without a ridiculous ammount of bob. but as an overweight bike abuser, it has had no issues ever other than the really crappy pedalling. but if i must say, there are tons of other bikes more worthy of your coin......

·
Jersey Hucker
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i have one that's over 5 years old, it is built up as a spare DH bike. personally i would stay away from it, the linkage alone makes it almost impossible to pedal without a ridiculous ammount of bob. but as an overweight bike abuser, it has had no issues ever other than the really crappy pedalling. but if i must say, there are tons of other bikes more worthy of your coin......

i can get one for under 500 bucks, is that a good buy?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,249 Posts
FoxRider77 said:
i can't stress enough how bad this bike pedals, you should really take one for a spin first. unless someone is giving it to you for free, i'd save my dough, no matter how cheap you can get one for....

·
Registered
429 Posts
FoxRider77 said:
Seriously, this bike pedals like it has an egg-shaped bottom-bracket. Ride one before you buy it. Not only does it pedal like crap, it's really heavy and the welds behind the link tend to crack...

·
Pro Crastinator
11,249 Posts
the flaw is in the linkage design. when you pedal, the bike will compress (while this happens, the wheelbase gets longer and there is a significant amount of chain growth) and then when you unweight the bike to transfer your weight to the other foot the bike returns to it's static position. while this happens the wheelbase becomes shorter again and the previously mentioned chaingrowth tries to return to normal. this creates a "dead spot" in the revolution that tries to momentarily spin the cranks backward, while you are trying to push it forward. there is no real way to resolve this, new shock or otherwise....

so, if you think you can live with a bike that tries to spin the cranks backward every time you are at the top of your stroke, feel free to pick one up.....

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
steer clear of KHS period... why do you think they dotn make freeride/ dh bikes for the public anymore? cuz they're crap!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts