Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Kris Holm XC 38mm wheels on my 29er. I was looking at thew new 47mm freeride rims and was trying to benchrace the build. The new rims have the spoke eyelets offset +/- 5mm from the rim centerline. I've read people mention that this would not be a good setup for a dished wheel with a 9 speed casettte since the spoke holes are staggered. Why is this?

Also, if you did build up a dished wheel with these rims, how would you lace them. Would the brake and drive side cross or would they remain on their respective sides (see pics below)?

Attachments

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Sasquatch1413 said:
I have a set of Kris Holm XC 38mm wheels on my 29er. I was looking at thew new 47mm freeride rims and was trying to benchrace the build. The new rims have the spoke eyelets offset +/- 5mm from the rim centerline. I've read people mention that this would not be a good setup for a dished wheel with a 9 speed casettte since the spoke holes are staggered. Why is this?

Also, if you did build up a dished wheel with these rims, how would you lace them. Would the brake and drive side cross or would they remain on their respective sides (see pics below)?
I recently built up a set of these. I did not account for the offset, so the spokes are a little long. The tension is more lopsided than a typical wheel. Also, the holes are drilled at an angle more suitable for a 165mm wide hub so the spokes actually leave the rim and BEND back towards the hub flange. Not the greatest set up, but I built these as snow wheels, not high stress.

On the flip side these built super straight and round right away. They have been perfect so far.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Although it appears that the eyelet orientation would require the spokes to be laced as shown in the second drawing, the wheel would be laterally stiffer (and stronger) as shown in the first drawing.

This is a BMW GS tubeless motorcycle wheel.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
fallzboater said:
Although it appears that the eyelet orientation would require the spokes to be laced as shown in the second drawing, the wheel would be laterally stiffer (and stronger) as shown in the first drawing.

This is a BMW GS tubeless motorcycle wheel.
The spokes already bend a bit at the nipple because of how the rim is drilled. Using the other method of lacing would make this much worse. Sure it may be stiffer, but when spokes start breaking is it really an advantage?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thread dredge.

Any more input from people who have built up KH rims?

I've got a xc Kris Holm rim I'm abut to build up and this also has the spoke holes off of centre.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been running the KH 47 29er rims for about four months. I didn't build them, but the guy who did said they were a little funky to lace up. That said, they ride fine and are totally bomber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts