Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share your impressions and pictures from the resorts this weekend. Should be good guidance on where to go on the upcoming long one.

My small contribution:

Winterpark - you need to buy your tickets now in the bike shop. Only one lift was running. Got charged $19 for half a day. Did the DH run only. Not much changed compared to last year, yet. A couple of new wooden A - frames, a new play area to develop drop skills (kindergarden level). Smooth trails, nice tables. Coolest feature are the wall rides. Most scary is the wooden dog/coyote right of the lip into the first huge wood table.

I think I am done with riding Winterpark for the season. Too expensive.

SolVista - fun as ever. $20 for the full day. The trail crew did some more grooming and opened all trails. One new section in Moga's mile sports a couple of berms and a table. As usual for SolVista you have to go full tilt to enjoy (aka fly) the table. But it is a true blue run as you can go slow and roll.

I think I'll be back. The big features are still a challenge for me and wife/daughter have fun on all trails (bypassing the features).

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
Keystone was damp up top of "Milky Way" just a small area, Top Section of TNT was closed between Cowboy up and the split between Paid in Full/Motorhead. Cowboy UP is Open. Damp a bit in the trees, but not bad at all. The section of TNT with the HUGE Table, Wall Ride and the Fuzzy Bunny Ladder Drop was Open and Dry. I'm not sure about Loggers Way or Punk Rock. But I heard they were open too. East Forest is Closed Due to Construction, Mosquito Coast was open, not sure about "Eye of the Tiger" High Speed Dirt, Jam Rock, Wild Thing and Even Flow was Open. The bottom part of the River Run trail/Wild Thing (Front of Mountain) was muddy, but was drying out quickly. Just a few soupy spots on the mountain I saw that were muddy. I am so glad I went to Keystone on Saturday! It was a great time!

·
Armchair Sasquatcheror
310 Posts
One word. Keystone

Keystone is good to go and sounds like the trail crew did quite a nice job removing the lingering snow. I hit Sol Vista the week before last and WP last week. I will prolly check out Crankworx and maybe ride WP again at the end of the season, but as far as I can see, they need to get their **** together. It was lamer than I remember it being 3 seasons ago and all I could think about was that they really got me for $24 and that this was why I haven't gone back in 3 seasons. I really wouldn't waste your time going there until some of the other trails are opened.

They also should have a warning sign in the little skills area. A friend of mine came in a little hot, thinking that 2 of the a frame things were gappable, and landed on top of the second one. Funny to watch but a little dangerous if you come in with any amount of steam.

Also, be prepared to do a lot of commuting (walking) to the ticket office, to the lift, and then again back to the lift at the end of your run. This was aggravating to say the least.

On the bright side, I think very good things are to come from WP, although maybe not for thr 08/09 season.

·
fyyff
114 Posts
Did you use a Colorado Pass, by chance? When I renewed my CO Pass last spring, I did it with the promise of unlimited summer lifts for bikes this summer. If that's not the case, then I won't be renewing it this year.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
day-o said:
Did you use a Colorado Pass, by chance? When I renewed my CO Pass last spring, I did it with the promise of unlimited summer lifts for bikes this summer. If that's not the case, then I won't be renewing it this year.
I'm pretty sure its unlimited lift use for you; but not your bike. The bike is still $30, or BYGO if you have a 2nd person.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
I was just at Keystone today... I like this place. Technical challenge is mostly absent at SV, with the exception of trying not to crash in the piles of fine, deep sand. The double diamond trails at Keystone offer far more challenge. Also, Keystone is far more freeride oriented... jumps like on Money, wood bridges, rock gardens, etc are absent at SV.

Also, I talked to the trail crew, and they have been fine tuning trails and jumps, and you can feel it riding some of the trails. They aren't building new trail this year, so they will work on improving the existing trails, which should be good news.

Has anyone hit Helter/Skelter yet? We were headed over there last run today, but my friend lost his chain (literally, its on the trail somewhere), so we just took the most direct route down and missed it today.

·
Aphonopelma Coloradanum
202 Posts
ibelieveinsasquatch said:
Keystone is good to go and sounds like the trail crew did quite a nice job removing the lingering snow. I hit Sol Vista the week before last and WP last week. I will prolly check out Crankworx and maybe ride WP again at the end of the season, but as far as I can see, they need to get their **** together. It was lamer than I remember it being 3 seasons ago and all I could think about was that they really got me for $24 and that this was why I haven't gone back in 3 seasons. I really wouldn't waste your time going there until some of the other trails are opened.

They also should have a warning sign in the little skills area. A friend of mine came in a little hot, thinking that 2 of the a frame things were gappable, and landed on top of the second one. Funny to watch but a little dangerous if you come in with any amount of steam.

Also, be prepared to do a lot of commuting (walking) to the ticket office, to the lift, and then again back to the lift at the end of your run. This was aggravating to say the least.

On the bright side, I think very good things are to come from WP, although maybe not for thr 08/09 season.
I agree about WP- I was there Sunday, and that's the last $24 I'll give them. They showed a few trails as open on the site (and the board at Sunspot), but it was all actually closed except for the trail formerly known as the downhill and the gravel access road. I have ridden there off and on over the years, and it didn't look like they had changed much except for renaming themselves and printing new maps that omit all of the non-lift trails.

There's a ton of better stuff nearby and I regret not bringing an XC bike and riding some of the other trails. Too bad about the late snow melt, too, as it's a great place to ride (for free) before the lifts open if it's clear.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
davec113 said:
Technical challenge is mostly absent at SV, with the exception of trying not to crash in the piles of fine, deep sand. The double diamond trails at Keystone offer far more challenge. Also, Keystone is far more freeride oriented... jumps like on Money, wood bridges, rock gardens, etc are absent at SV.
No offense, but the jumps at SV are more challenging than anything at Keystone. On the other end Keystone is steeper and the runs are longer, they're both good in my book, it just depends on what you're wanting to ride.

I've ridden SV several times this year, and I'm getting used to riding in the sand, its like getting used to riding in the mud. Just know your conditions, not everything is going to be hero dirt.

·
percocet pioneer.
931 Posts
davec113 said:
I was just at Keystone today... I like this place. Technical challenge is mostly absent at SV, with the exception of trying not to crash in the piles of fine, deep sand. The double diamond trails at Keystone offer far more challenge. Also, Keystone is far more freeride oriented... jumps like on Money, wood bridges, rock gardens, etc are absent at SV.

Also, I talked to the trail crew, and they have been fine tuning trails and jumps, and you can feel it riding some of the trails. They aren't building new trail this year, so they will work on improving the existing trails, which should be good news.

Has anyone hit Helter/Skelter yet? We were headed over there last run today, but my friend lost his chain (literally, its on the trail somewhere), so we just took the most direct route down and missed it today.
Skelter isn't going to be open for a while but Helter is open, and in my opinion it....sucks.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Ithnu said:
No offense, but the jumps at SV are more challenging than anything at Keystone.
Harder, in the sense that you have to convince yourself to hit them going as fast as possible, but I think that Money and Milky Way are more interesting.

Inthnu said:
I've ridden SV several times this year, and I'm getting used to riding in the sand, its like getting used to riding in the mud. Just know your conditions, not everything is going to be hero dirt.
I could get used to crushing cans with my pee pee, but that doesn't mean I'll like it. Anyway, the dirt at Keystone is so hero ;)

SV is good for training for dh racing, its fast, and all the features can be ridden as fast as possible. Mogas is good for learning to be good at ripping turns in bad conditions, its probably my favorite trail there, but its as much work as it is fun. Thats fine, most dh racers hate Money, and a lot of the more techy lines at Keystone are beyond what you'd see on a typical dh course.

·
percocet pioneer.
931 Posts
davec113 said:
SV is good for training for dh racing, its fast, and all the features can be ridden as fast as possible. Mogas is good for learning to be good at ripping turns in bad conditions, its probably my favorite trail there, but its as much work as it is fun. Thats fine, most dh racers hate Money, and a lot of the more techy lines at Keystone are beyond what you'd see on a typical dh course.
jamrock is probably one of the most techy lines out there and it was on the race course last summer:rolleyes:

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
davec113 said:
Money, and a lot of the more techy lines at Keystone are beyond what you'd see on a typical dh course.
Dave dude, you have to see Angel Fire:)

Here, look at this

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
I was in Keystone yesterday afternoon. Most of the wet is now dry.

Helter opened Sunday. There is talk of a re-route to East Forest once the construction is completed there. The Trail crew worked to channel out the water at the base (which is mostly dry to ride through now.

They were trying to shut down the Triple Diamond jump on Jam Rock Sunday. Local riders opened it up again. As of yesterday they planted bricks in the way. Not sure why this is the case.

This week the Trail crews will be putting in the dirt jumps and stunts at the bottom. So do look for those soon.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
davec113 said:
Thats fine, most dh racers hate Money, and a lot of the more techy lines at Keystone are beyond what you'd see on a typical dh course.
Tru dat. Although I am now a DH racer (although slow), I enjoy Money because of the jumps. I'm progressing to the point I can hit everyone of those things!

I will be hitting up Sol Vista more this summer. I enjoy the different terrain, I don't know every rock, root, rut, and jump so I have to adapt faster. Plus with the races coming up, having a 'home-town' advantage will be nice.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
They were trying to shut down the Triple Diamond jump on Jam Rock Sunday. Local riders opened it up again. As of yesterday they planted bricks in the way. Not sure why this is the case.
Its officially re-open as of late yesterday... they worked on re-shaping the take off.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
Where is this "Triple Diamond" jump? Jumps are jumps. Hip Jumps? Dubs after the hip jumps or Airplane Drop?
I'm trying to visualize what your talking about.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
davec113 said:
Pretty cool, I'd like to get down there this summer... That is considered the hardest dh course in the series though?
Hardest? If you mean physically demanding, maybe. Of course the MSC race there is always early in the season, so maybe it seems harder...
But I don't care for rock gardens, so I prefer Telluride, which IMO is just as technically challenging.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
bpatterson6 said:
Where is this "Triple Diamond" jump? Jumps are jumps. Hip Jumps? Dubs after the hip jumps or Airplane Drop?
I'm trying to visualize what your talking about.
On Jam Rock a few turns before you meet back up with Mosquito Cost. Its the bigger jump, launching off of a pointy rock, bridge work below and tranny on the other side.

Looks like they took care of it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.