Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Be making my first mountain bike trip to CO this August. Plan on spending a day each at Keystone and Winterpark. I ride an Ibis mojo with a Pike air and Fox rp23. What would be a good all around tire for the riding there? I can run a 2.35/2.4 wide tire (stans arch rim). And what about body armor? Will I need it if I take it easy? Or would I be smart to get it anyway? I'll do as much variety as i can as far as the riding concerned. XC and as much DH as my bike will allow. Thanks for suggestions in advance...

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
You'd think after that whole weekend with DH-ing, XC, booze, and a hot little blond number you'd be in a much better mood. :p
Oh trust me, I was in an AWESOME mood until all the DH-ing, XC-ing, boozing, and hot little blonde numbering came to an end! :madmax:

:D

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
joelalamo45 said:
She was in charge of the camera and hasn't uploaded any pics from our trip yet. I'll let ya know though...

To answer the OP's questions in seriousness: tires as wide as you can deal with, as knobby as you can get 'em are good. Maxxis High Rollers or Minions are popular, I run Kenda Nevegals in a variety of widths dependent on what bike they're on a like them as well. It's rocky out here so make sure you have enough air to avoid pinching but not so much you don't have traction. Armour? Hell why not - anything to save your skin should work fine. As for "taking it easy" - why bother? You're in Colorado, make it count!

·
Registered
240 Posts
unless you are riding a full on DH bike.........riding with armor is for sissies. (NOT the case for the real DH boys...which isn't me, so no offense intended) one man's opinion. toughen up, buttercup. p.s.........FT, i think this may qualify for a "choke", not a punch ;-)

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
so the rocks are more forgiving on a lesser travel bike?

Bull_D said:
unless you are riding a full on DH bike.........riding with armor is for sissies. (NOT the case for the real DH boys...which isn't me, so no offense intended) one man's opinion. toughen up, buttercup. p.s.........FT, i think this may qualify for a "choke", not a punch ;-)

·
Registered
240 Posts
nOOby said:
so the rocks are more forgiving on a lesser travel bike?
not at all. but i can't remember hucking 3+ foot drops on my XC bike. generally XC is not AM. (always love classifying ;-)) my blood loss has directly encouraged my skill increase. i also won't play chess in a football helmet:nono: .......again, toughen up buttercup :ciappa:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.