Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time post. Any one going to Keystone this weekend? I am heading up on Saturday. I'll be riding a silver DHR w/ Shivers. I live in the springs, if you want to car pool. jim

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
adirtbag said:
Long time lurker, first time post. Any one going to Keystone this weekend? I am heading up on Saturday. I'll be riding a silver DHR w/ Shivers. I live in the springs, if you want to car pool. jim
I won't be going this weekend, but probably next weekend. I want to ride that new trail (it supposed to have a sick drop)... everything else is a little, well... ez.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Possibly....not sure. Im most likely doing the DH shuttle down here with kristian, for more info check out the Front Range Forum, if not that then I think snowskilz and I along with possibly kitchenware were gonna try to hit keystone or vail....not sure.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
ezweave said:
I won't be going this weekend, but probably next weekend. I want to ride that new trail (it supposed to have a sick drop)... everything else is a little, well... ez.
Is it really sick? Keystone has a habit of overhyping terrain. There was nothing there over 3' before, and that's being very generous. I think a sick drop to them would be under 6'.
Still a fun place to ride though... except for that GD loggers way, that sh!t'l vibrate your teeth out on a hardtail.

But like COmtbiker12, there's all kinds of stuff going down this weekend. Just a matter of making a decision.

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
kitchenware said:
Is it really sick? Keystone has a habit of overhyping terrain. There was nothing there over 3' before, and that's being very generous. I think a sick drop to them would be under 6'.
Still a fun place to ride though... except for that GD loggers way, that sh!t'l vibrate your teeth out on a hardtail.

But like COmtbiker12, there's all kinds of stuff going down this weekend. Just a matter of making a decision.
I saw it while they were building it. It is really a steep down ramp, but it is long and drops straight off. It might be 20 feet long if they haven't changed it. You can see it from the lift about half way up. Some of the locals I talked to thought it would be much better.

I agree, while it is fun, their freeride stunts are super easy (4 foot high skinnies aren't a challenge, the lower ones are a joke). My room mate and I both cleaned almost all of them with little effort on our first tries (I did hold a track stand to long at the top of that rotating quarterpipe... ouch). I give em props for effort.

Yeah that stupid loggers run or whatever, holy crap Keystone's rough trails are half the reason I just bought a Z-150 to replace my Dj2. Some of the trail designs are retarded, too... like the double jump immediatly after the bermed turn on Motorhead or the short uphill skinny (read at the top of the climb) on Wild Thing. I look at pics of Snowshoe mountain and I get jealous.

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
I mean to say that the in trail stunts are easy as are the bike park stunts (the biggest drop I hit all day, was just dropping of one of those 4' high spools, instead of the ramp). Some kid told us to "check out" their practice area away from the base. It was some puny dirt jumps and some boards on the ground. We almost died laughing... holy crap it still makes me laugh.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
EZWEAVE wrote "Some of the trail designs are retarded, too... like the double jump immediatly after the bermed turn on Motorhead"

Carry your speed through the berm and you will make that double.

The new "big" drop on "Paid in Full" is basically a steep hill with boarded "ladder" over it. At the top is a little foot and a half drop. You can roll it or jump completely past the wood and land on the dirt. You will never be more than 2 feet off the ground. Also they have a new ladder stunt in the new trail. Here is some pictures.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
More and more...steeper than it looks. Like I said never more than 2 feet off the ground. I landed in the dirt on that one.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Carry your speed through the berm and you will make that double.
Those berms ARE nice, probably the best thing they've built to date as far as general trail features go, well that and the tables.

As for the 'bike park' stunts, well... They'd be ok if they were ON the trail. The one thats on the trail is in no way a skinny, it's probably 2' wide or wider. After playing around on 2x4s at home here, that thing looks/feels like a sidewalk.

They seem to build stuff that you could roll if you had to... These are double blacks ppl, there shoud be stuff that makes me nervous. The trails we ride locally do a better job of that. I am in NO way anywhere near hardcore either. I wonder what you ppl on big bikes think about Keystone?

Keystone, are ya listening? More jumps, more drops, more flowy and less stutter bumps, please.

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
I think that (now I haven't ridden the new trail) motorhead is the best trail in the park, even with its lame, near ground level 2' wide skinnies. If they put the bike park stunts in trail, it would be awesome, except they would need some modification. I have had enough speed to ride off of the end of the "big" teeter totter several times.

The 3' wide by 3' high ladder bridge on the Logger trail is just out of place.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
ezweave said:
The 3' wide by 3' high ladder bridge on the Logger trail is just out of place.
Yeah, it's like... hold on, let me slow up and veer to the left so I can ride this out of place stunt. I get to where I just buzz right by it toward the end of the day. The kicker to flat off trail to the right is more enjoyable.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
P.S. Watch out for the first table top. It has a bad take off. The second table is sweet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Big bike Style

Loggers Way on a big Bike is super fun. I don't know how anyone can't feel a little sketched out doing 40 mph over loose rock and just skipping along. I don't like the bridge features they put into wild thing because it was cool natural terrain. The small table tops on the new trail are way too small. when you rip into there for a race you need to brake check very hard. I like the double out of the s turn. They did have a decent little step down, but the gap was probably only 8 feet and the drop about 3...kind of hard to tell if you don't stop to look at it. If you think the rock garden is easy, go faster. Keystone is a good place to go and train. sure, it requires a lot of pedaling, but so does every race course if you want to win. Even world cup DH courses require pedaling to get onto the podium.

Anyway, I think there are far better DH trails, but you can't really judge a DH trail based on riding it on a bike not made for downhilling. Those courses are made to be hit at a certain amount of speed. If you like stunts, chances are you will find much better riding in an urban or skatepark setting.

"and that's all I got ta say 'bout that"--Forrest Gump

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
TCR1 said:
you can't really judge a DH trail based on riding it on a bike not made for downhilling. Those courses are made to be hit at a certain amount of speed.
You're correct on that one, I just ride what I've got. If you noticed in my other post, I wondered what ppl on big bikes thought of it...

Big bike, small bike, there still aren't enough drops/jumps IMO. It's built more like a race course and I guess I go there to ride for fun more than to race as fast as I can. But yeah, I could see where Loggers Way would be pretty rad with a big bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
kitchenware said:
You're correct on that one, I just ride what I've got. If you noticed in my other post, I wondered what ppl on big bikes thought of it...

Kitchenware,
I actually replied to let you know what I thought of the Keystone course because I have only ridden it on a DH race bike. The thing is, the trail IS a race course :p . It gets raced at least twice a summer, but gets trained on probably daily. I hate that Keystone hyped it as rivaling A line when that simply isn't the case. I have heard Vail has a trail with plenty of tables on it though.

I won't be riding until the race at Keystone on the 4-5 of Sept. because of my impending wedding, but would be neat to bump into you fellers on the trails sometime. also, if you know of anybody wanting to get a full on DH rig, I am looking to let my 2000 Giant DH team go really cheap and its local.

Also, I don't know of any DH trails with lots of jumps on them. There is a little kicker on the Snowmass DH trail but it is very sketchy. There used to be a 48' gap in 2002, then a shorter one for 2003, but it has been removed completely. Angelfire has no jumps that come to mind, Crested Butte had 2, Durango national had 2, (but you were in the air a lot because you were constantly ripping through big breaking bumps and catching air after blasting off of roads (but you didn't go high). Drops are a little more common. The Durango expert/pro course has two nice big drops, angelfire has a couple good little drops, Sol Vista was awesome for terrain...you should try to get there to ride sometime. There is a road gap right out of the start with a 7 ffot drop and 15 foot gap. If you ever want to go catch some air, try Lake Arbor's jumping trails, the V in Aurora, or the C-470 jumps. They are all very close and are super good. there is also wilderness trails in Keystone area. nice trails, but further away.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Ryan

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
I do know that it's a race course, but it's just part of the resort and two races a year aren't paying the bills in the summer (not that bike tickets are right now). I just figured there are a lot of ppl like myself that go there to ride and have fun and it seems like they would like to cater to that to bring more of us in. Hopefully I wasn't coming off like a turd. I think it's a *****in race course, wish I had more of a bike to take advantage of it, unfortunately my finances dictate that my bike is my xc/trail/fr/dh/trials bike. :D Maybe I sound whiney, but if you don't ask/complain, you can't get what you want.

Vail is something I want to hit soon, looks good in the recent pics posted and I hear the 94 course is a blast. A friend also went to Anglefire last year and from what he's told me, it sounds like it's well worth the trip. Maybe after it cools off a bit toward the end of season.

I've never been to Arbor jumps, but I hear they're as or more fun that the Gunbarrel stuff here, which I haven't been to in a while. We have some stuff about a 10 minute ride from my front door that I've been hitting a lot lately. Not exactly the best groomed stuff, but it's close and very fun. (CU Research Park)

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
I kind of thought that the step down was the best jump on Motorhead. That or the second table. I am sure that the trails don't seem that rough on a dh bike, but my DJ2 left my hands feeling like I had been slapped with a crowbar the next day. I have to go back and try it again with the new Z-150. I just can't bear to go slow enough to make it comfortable...

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
ezweave said:
I just can't bear to go slow enough to make it comfortable...

Yeah, I can remember more than a few times wondering if I was even still holding on to the bars, but still truckin'.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
Where are the dirt jumps outside of lakewood (near Denver)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts