Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7/1/07

I woke up and felt like crap. I sat on the floor for thirty minutes deciding if I wanted to ride today. Of course, the "it's going to be a beautiful day today so how could you miss the chance" kicked in. Originally, this was going to be a Kenosha pass ride, but that was changed to something else. So, I figured I would take advantage of an odd Sunday ride with Team Evergreen at Keystone Ranch. I have done this ride before and enjoyed. Why not try it with a full year of acclimation. On the carpool ride up I started to feel light headed and my breathing just wasn't right. I knew I was in for some trouble.

We arrive at the parking area and I am already thinking about bail points. Not a good sign.

Within a few minutes, I am struggling near the back of the pack. At this point I am not getting full breaths at all and I am dizzy. Asthma is the only thing I can think of. We pause at the lift before heading up to the Colorado Trail. By now I am ready to chuck. I have never felt this way on a ride.

Not wanted to blow the whole day, I trek on. I figure as long as I can keep a few people in sight, I should be ok.

Once on the CT, it's downhill to the meadows. This is a fun part of the trail. I'm not thinking about my condition right now as I blasting down and keeping an eye on 10 mile range views.

We regroup at some more awesome singletrack.

Unfortunately for me, it's uphill some more and the sickness returns. I am wheezing pretty bad now and my heart rate is sky high. Not a good thing, but there's no turning back now.

Then another great decent to the bog.

More skinny singletrack to the rec complex. Of course, I take a nice digger trying to escape from a muddy rut.

Finally, a bailing point, but do I bail? No. What was I thinking?

It's uphill to the Blair Witch Project (every state has one of these). At this point, I am starting to think I will not make it. Visions of Search and Rescue having to fly me out and the bill that follows keep me going. I am not having fun anymore.

Finally some downhill. At this point I barely see the people ahead of me who are hanging back purposely to keep me on the trail.

We make it to the residential neighborhood and just before the Aquaduct Trail I give out. Only three miles to go and I just can't go another inch. I seek shelter in the shade and try to keep from retching as the others head on to fetch the car to pick me up. Even after fifteen minutes of laying down, I am still at a 120 BPM heart rate. Scary!

I don't know what it was that caused it, but I certainly hope it never happens again.

Thanks for TE being so patient with me.

·
2,856 Posts
schnauzers said:
I knew I was in for some trouble.

I seek shelter in the shade and try to keep from retching as the others head on to fetch the car to pick me up. Even after fifteen minutes of laying down, I am still at a 120 BPM heart rate. Scary!

I don't know what it was that caused it, but I certainly hope it never happens again.

Thanks for TE being so patient with me.
And yet even as you suffered all that misery, you managed to take some beautiful pictures :thumbsup:

Allergies aggravating your lungs perhaps? I'm assuming you did all your normal pre-ride eating, hydrating, etc.

Ed

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
edemtbs said:
And yet even as you suffered all that misery, you managed to take some beautiful pictures :thumbsup:

Allergies aggravating your lungs perhaps? I'm assuming you did all your normal pre-ride eating, hydrating, etc.

Ed
Yeh, probably was the allergies. I have to get a new prescription for an inhaler. I hate using the damn things, but I can't suffer like that again. I'm not a fan of breakfast, but I did have a bagel and a few gels. I drank plenty of water, however I will stay far away from SPIKE energy drink. That stuff is poison! I don't think it helped my situation.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
schnauzers said:
Yeh, probably was the allergies. I have to get a new prescription for an inhaler. I hate using the damn things, but I can't suffer like that again. I'm not a fan of breakfast, but I did have a bagel and a few gels. I drank plenty of water, however I will stay far away from SPIKE energy drink. That stuff is poison! I don't think it helped my situation.
Spike seems to work best post ride. I think it'd go great with a little Vodka. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IvanLasston said:
Could have been HAPE. High Altitude Pulmonary Edema.
http://www.basecampmd.com/expguide/hape.shtml
Hmm... No cough though. I've done high altitude rides before and never had this. I may just be run down. I haven't slept much in the past couple of weeks. No riding on the 4th for me. I am forcing myself to sleep to at least 11:00 AM.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
I know the feeling well. I've been here a month and it's still rough, though I have not gone much above 8,000 feet yet. I'll join you guys in another month for some rides but I sure would have kept you slow company on this ride. Considering how bad you felt, it seems you may just be run down a bit or are catching something. Hopefully this was the worst of it.

I have also found that eating well- red meat/high protein as well as complex carbs is critical for the altitude and the amount of climbing required here. It's time to head to the grocery store this evening.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sgltrak said:
Sorry you didn't get to enjoy the ride. For 4 years I lived less than a mile from that ride and it is one of my favorites. Your great pix make me miss it.
Oh I enjoyed it. I was on it last summer without the sickness. Regardless of how I felt, I still smiled (at least on the DH). I would rather be outside on a bad day than inside any day, especially doing what I love.

OK, now I have to go wipe the tears :cryin:.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flyer said:
I know the feeling well. I've been here a month and it's still rough, though I have not gone much above 8,000 feet yet. I'll join you guys in another month for some rides but I sure would have kept you slow company on this ride. Considering how bad you felt, it seems you may just be run down a bit or are catching something. Hopefully this was the worst of it.

I have also found that eating well- red meat/high protein as well as complex carbs is critical for the altitude and the amount of climbing required here. It's time to head to the grocery store this evening.
I don't think it was altitude because I was already feeling sick when I left 5750'. Sugar might have been an issue as well. I usually have a bottle of Coke before a ride and this time it was that freaking can of Spike. That all sounds real healthy, doesn't it? *sigh*

·
Registered
676 Posts
Great Pictures :thumbsup:

I was just putting together a list of trails to ride while i visit Colorado for 5 days on 10th August on vacation from the UK , and your pictures have inspired me to add this ride at the top of my list :)

I dont supose you could point me in the right direction for finding directions for the ride ?

I've done a search on Keystone Ranch and not found anything The MTB Colorado book I have describes a route starting from Tiger run rv resort but dose not sound quite like the route you described

Thanks in advance

Zinger
http://www.mtb-hol.com

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zinger-uk said:
Great Pictures :thumbsup:

I was just putting together a list of trails to ride while i visit Colorado for 5 days on 10th August on vacation from the UK , and your pictures have inspired me to add this ride at the top of my list :)

I dont supose you could point me in the right direction for finding directions for the ride ?

I've done a search on Keystone Ranch and not found anything The MTB Colorado book I have describes a route starting from Tiger run rv resort but dose not sound quite like the route you described

Thanks in advance

Zinger
http://www.mtb-hol.com
I'll do one better and send you the turn-by-turn trail directions when I get home tonight. It's pretty easy to get to (Keystone Exit off I70). How much of CO are you planning to ride? If you are staying in the Summit area, there are other good rides to add as well.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
schnauzers said:
I'll do one better and send you the turn-by-turn trail directions when I get home tonight. It's pretty easy to get to (Keystone Exit off I70). How much of CO are you planning to ride? If you are staying in the Summit area, there are other good rides to add as well.
Would you mind adding me to that mailing?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

_MK

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for offer for the turn by turn directions :)

I've got 5 full days of riding in Colorado starting on the 10th

Me and my wife are actually arriving in USA on 25th August in Seattle

We are then going to do some rides around there, then ride Mt St Helens

Then into Oregon ride MRT then on to Oakridge, before heading to Sun Valley in Idaho, then onwards to Utah and Park city, then after 2 weeks on the 9th September my Wife is Flying home and I get 5 days of play time on my own :D - only down side to this is I wont have my bear / mountain lion decoy anymore ;)

As I only have 5 days staying in one area does make sense what are the other must do rides in the area ?

I really like epic singletrack trails - favorite rides i've done before in Colorado are the Monarch Creast Trail, Tipperary Creek Trail and the edge loop down in Fruita

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
zinger-uk said:
As I only have 5 days staying in one area does make sense what are the other must do rides in the area ?

I really like epic singletrack trails - favorite rides i've done before in Colorado are the Monarch Creast Trail, Tipperary Creek Trail and the edge loop down in Fruita
You liked the edge loop in Fruita? Hmm... I wonder if we ended up riding something different when we rode it.

I'd say Crested Butte has some really nice, really epic singletrack, like the 401 Trail and Deer Creek Valley. Trails around Gunnison are said to be spectacular as well. Steamboat as well.

_MK

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.