Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy coming in from California this next weekend and we've been kickin' around having a lift day at either Keystone or Winter Park. He's not much into the big mountain stuff (drops/jumps) but is pretty capable with singletrack in general, so I'm trying to determine which location would be best for the greatest variety of lift accessible fun. I don't want him busting a lung his second day here in Colorado coming up from sea level.

I went to WP four or five years ago and rode a number of trails on the Mary Jane side, but I was pretty disappointed with the trail conditions and haven't been back since.

Any suggestions either way?

·
Goofing off?
441 Posts
Keystone has both - techy drops (with bypasses) and smooth trails. I am in a similar situation - my 19 year old neighbor wants to go to lift access trails. It would be hard to just ride the mellow stuff. Perhaps I could just "meet him at the bottom". However, any riding in the mountains is good riding.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Really depends on the experience you want to provide...

WP: One very smooth DH (more smooth than the rest of their trails) - but they put a filter feature before it. 1 foot drop. Can scare non technical riders. One DH that is pretty rough. Plenty of XC style runs. All XC do require a bit of pedalling/climbing though.

Keystone: Very rough DH. But if one is an experience single track rider all are big time fun. No trail requires droping or jumping abilities. Everything can be rolled or passed by. Most trails point down with very few pedalling required (if any). Plenty of DH runs.

·
Slopestyle Rider
2,448 Posts
Kaba Klaus said:
Really depends on the experience you want to provide...

WP: One very smooth DH (more smooth than the rest of their trails) - but they put a filter feature before it. 1 foot drop. Can scare non technical riders.
You love that filter feature, dontcha? :)

In all honesty, you'd be fine doing both, but if your friend likes singletrack and fun stuff, you'd probably enjoy WP more as the stuff at Keystone is really gnarly for the most part. IWP has changed quite a bit over the past few years and they have a great starter park/beginner jump zone that your buddy would probably have a blast in. And the singletrack in the Fraser valley is second to none, so there would be a ton of stuff for you guys to ride.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
joelalamo45 said:
You love that filter feature, dontcha? :)
I still think it to be the most hilarious/stupid idea I've ever set eyes on. :D

But I did not intend any flaming here. Really just mentioned it to avoid a surprise.... BTW, the feature looked smaller to me than last year. Am I off?

·
Slopestyle Rider
2,448 Posts
I dunno. I haven't hit that trail yet. I've been skateparking it up lately on the new bmx... I'm sure it's the same size, though. You may laugh at it, but it actually did it's job and kept the old folks on the beach cruisers off the trail. I personally like it because it's fun to gap, but I do see your point...

Hey I can prolly score a couple of passes if you wanna come up and ride. I'd like to ride with someone who is not a total goober. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I am up in the mountains in one resort or the other every weekend now. Actually had not planned to hit WP for a while. But if you provide pass and company I'd be in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
coin toss...

Sounds like it's a flip of the coin then. I haven't been to WP in a while and would like to see what they've done with it.

Thanks for the input!

JL

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Many of the mello-ish green's at Keystone have been shut down due to construction. That said, there are a few blacks that should be blues (TNT for example). And the few blues are open now.

Eye of the Tiger just opened yesterday.... and wow, what a fun run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.