Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DH Community needs your help

Keystone opens 2 weeks from today and they are covered in snow! Anyone interested in helping to dig the mountain out???
They are digging Thursday through Sunday this week and next, please contact Greg at [email protected] if your interested in helping.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
DH Dominator said:
No help with seasons pass costs, just the ability to ride all the trails before July...
While I can agree with this sentiment, Dave makes an excellent point. Gas costs money, and keystone is paying their employees to dig, so they can open up on time and make $$$. Some sort of discount voucher or reimbursement of some sort isn't an outrageous expectation.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I have a hard time believing they even want any help from the public, so do you have to sign a waiver to help work??? I'm with Dave, I ain't paying to ride there then helping work for free!!

Tell Greg to consider free one day passes if they need help this bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
I here you guys and can understand your sentiment, however, I am soooo ready to get in some DH'in.

I will help dig out. Maybe get some inside trial info from Bender while I'm at it.

I know they charge a bunch for the lift tickets, but I betting they dont really make that much $$ compared to their ski revenues, we should just be thankful that Keystone is still catering to mountain biking in the summer (unlike the California resorts)

I'll pitch in a day.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I think its pretty ridiculous that a Vail Resorts area is asking for FREE help when they keep raising every ticket price they have. If they're not going to pay the people who come up there, then hopefully no one shows up. They want to open up on time and make money, yet they don't want to shell anything out to make that happen? Weaksauce.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keystone will open on June 15th with or without help. I personally want to ride on the 15th, not dig like i did last year...if you want to help great, if you want to ***** and complain all June that nothing is open, good for you. I'm not associated with Keystone, just a dh fanatic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not count on Keystone being open by the 15th. There is a s**t load of snow still on the mountain.

I find it sad that many of you will not help out unless you get something for your efforts. Pretty selfish (sounds a bit roadie/XC to me). True gravity riders dedicate selfless voulunteer time to trail work. Some of you obviously have lost your way.

I'm glad that I know which end of the shovel still means business.

I'm with you Kinger!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Vail Resorts may have lots of money and resources...

but the Keystone bike park doesn't.

Greg has been busting his ass to get the approval, money, and crew to build 6 new trails at Keystone. While they may have more people to dig than ever before I would rather have them building new trails than moving snow.

Keystone will open on the 15th, you might just have to take fire road to lower trails, like the last couple of years. That gets old, so I always spent a good portion of the day digging snow anyway. I'm glad I have the option to dig early this year:)

The less time bike crew spends digging snow, the faster trails get built.:thumbsup:

·
Goofing off?
441 Posts
It goes both ways. If you are jonesing hard enough (most of us are) then it is worth it to dig for free. You want to support the sceene. However, they want it open more than we do (they NEED to make money = we just WANT to ride). A discount voucher or free pre season day won't hurt them financially. If I was a business owner, the last thing I would do is ask my clients to work for me; for free. Now, doing trail work at the local trails is a totally different scenario. Doing the work for free means that we can all ride for free.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Funkmaster I agree with you that I would rather dig early and ride more by the 15th but it is still crazy to think that they can't or won't hook us up for our efforts. I suppose either way digging early is better than riding the service road down on opening weekend.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Celman1 said:
I find it sad that many of you will not help out unless you get something for your efforts. Pretty selfish (sounds a bit roadie/XC to me). True gravity riders dedicate selfless voulunteer time to trail work. Some of you obviously have lost your way.

I'm with you Kinger!
Celman, please take your self serving bullsh*t sermon somewhere else. I would venture a guess that everyone who has responded "negatively" to this thread puts in trail work time, and does it for free, that they and their community later can ride the FREE trails. That is community spirit. We have not lost our way. When you put out effort for something, there is ALLWAYS something in it for you, not matter how humanitarian you believe your cause is. When you pitch in to dig dh trails or jumps on someones private land, you usually get the priviledge to ride that work when it's complete, for FREE.
All I was suggesting keystone do is show their appreciation for the volunteer effort by throwing us a bone for christ's sake. How about them buying you lunch for instance?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Celman1 said:
This might be one of the stupidest posts I've read on MTBR. Apparently you've never seen a XC rider work on a trail? :rolleyes:

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
DH Dominator said:
Keystone will open on June 15th with or without help. I personally want to ride on the 15th, not dig like i did last year...if you want to help great, if you want to ***** and complain all June that nothing is open, good for you. I'm not associated with Keystone, just a dh fanatic.
Did you speak with Greg? Is he aware your asking folks to come help for free?? I'm a little leary they even want help from the public, asking folks to work for free on private property is inviting a whole mess of problems.

And yeah, your full of sh!t Celman.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
This thread would have taken a whole different direction if instead of it being "Keystone needs your help" it had been something like " The DH community of the front range needs help".

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
Celman1 said:
I would not count on Keystone being open by the 15th. There is a s**t load of snow still on the mountain.

I'm with you Kinger!
What a load of crap! If anyone has lost their way it is Vail Resorts asking for volunteer help with no compensation in return.

Let's see:

Vail Resorts posted a net income of $53MM as of the end of Jan 07.
It would cost me around $50 to drive up and 'volunteer' for the day.
I then get to pay $30 to ride the lift to ride the almost snowless trail I just volumteer to work on.

So, for $80 bucks and can work my ass off while Vail wallows in thier pile of money (at least on paper.)

Yea, I feel real lost...

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
kchri said:
What a load of crap! If anyone has lost their way it is Vail Resorts asking for volunteer help with no compensation in return.

Let's see:

Vail Resorts posted a net income of $53MM as of the end of Jan 07.
It would cost me around $50 to drive up and 'volunteer' for the day.
I then get to pay $30 to ride the lift to ride the almost snowless trail I just volumteer to work on.

So, for $80 bucks and can work my ass off while Vail wallows in thier pile of money (at least on paper.)

Yea, I feel real lost...
Dude, you are so selfish! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
rroeder said:
Dude, you are so selfish! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
there's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Why, just the other day, I saw you open a door for some ladies entering the supermarket. They smiled at you thinking you were being all polite, but in reality, you just wanted to check out their asses. Selfish bastid!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts