Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last race in the Mountain States Cup series is at Keystone. The course listed is this:

"...Pro and Expert competitors will compete on the TNT XC. This demanding course will test every ability of rider giving all that Dercum Mountain can offer..."

Anyone familiar with this ride? Any details? Just curious about what I'm in for! Sounds good, especially given that it appears to be a long point-to-point type race! yay! Done with the loops races...... thank god! (or whoever)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here's what I heard

Very much like Snowmass, except for the very end, which is a technical root section through a very tight single track before it drops you out back onto the mountainside. From what I hear, there was much carnage on this section last year for people w/poor handiling skills. Then again, my knowledge is all heresay! :D Look at last years pics and it's pretty telling. I'll tell you what I think might be tough is the weather. Last year it rained and was very cold. Septmeber is the start of rain and sleet season, or it could be Indian Summerish. You know our weather, wait 10 minutes or cross the street and it's different. Even ELDO was cold this weekend until the sun came out. Check my buddies sight at www.coloradocyclist.blogspot.com. Send him a message, as he did it last year.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OdaNelli said:
Very much like Snowmass, except for the very end, which is a technical root section through a very tight single track before it drops you out back onto the mountainside. From what I hear, there was much carnage on this section last year for people w/poor handiling skills. Then again, my knowledge is all heresay! :D Look at last years pics and it's pretty telling. I'll tell you what I think might be tough is the weather. Last year it rained and was very cold. Septmeber is the start of rain and sleet season, or it could be Indian Summerish. You know our weather, wait 10 minutes or cross the street and it's different. Even ELDO was cold this weekend until the sun came out. Check my buddies sight at www.coloradocyclist.blogspot.com. Send him a message, as he did it last year.
Cool. Sounds like a good course then! We too are in the funky weather cycle, nice & sunny in the a.m., cool, rainy and potentially scary in the afternoon! Living at 7000 feet has it's ups & downs... but I'll take it!

Nice blog, no need to bug yer buddy, but thanks tho! The more technical, the better for me. Just those dirt roads at the start/finish area that I need to watch out for!

·
ride
5,275 Posts
glenzx said:
The last race in the Mountain States Cup series is at Keystone. The course listed is this:

"...Pro and Expert competitors will compete on the TNT XC. This demanding course will test every ability of rider giving all that Dercum Mountain can offer..."

Anyone familiar with this ride? Any details? Just curious about what I'm in for! Sounds good, especially given that it appears to be a long point-to-point type race! yay! Done with the loops races...... thank god! (or whoever)
The Keystone race used to be an epic that had you all over the mountain, climbing it a couple times, then down on the dh course all the way to the bottom. Seemed like every other year, they would take out "Wild Thing," which is pretty difficult on an XC bike after 2.5 hours. Anyway, last year, they really changed the course significantly - it didn't even go up to the top. There has been much criticism of both courses, so this years actual course will be anyone's guess...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.