Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone participating in these races over labor day weekend? I am thinking about the mountain cross. Trying to talk my wife into racing as it is free for beginner women. Anyone ridden the course of have pics of it?

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
FrontRanger said:
Anyone participating in these races over labor day weekend? I am thinking about the mountain cross. Trying to talk my wife into racing as it is free for beginner women. Anyone ridden the course of have pics of it?
The last two times I've been up there I've wanted to check the course out, but forgot to. I'd be interested in maybe running beginner mtnX as well. Sounds like fun.

Pics of the course would be cool.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kitchenware said:
The last two times I've been up there I've wanted to check the course out, but forgot to. I'd be interested in maybe running beginner mtnX as well. Sounds like fun.

Pics of the course would be cool.
I sent an email to the even organizer as well. Will post any info I get. Let me know if you decide to race as I am definitely leaning towards it. Would like to know the course layout ahead of time just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have seen and done a couple of runs on it. It's pretty short and 'smaller' compared to the AngelFire course. Nothing really stands out from the course besides one UNBANKED turn...which really distracts you from the flow.

The course is located by the Peru lift on the other side of Keystone, the non-River Run area. You can see it from highway 6 as you drive to the big gravel parking lot at River Run.

Sorry, got no pics.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SilentK said:
I have seen and done a couple of runs on it. It's pretty short and 'smaller' compared to the AngelFire course. Nothing really stands out from the course besides one UNBANKED turn...which really distracts you from the flow.

The course is located by the Peru lift on the other side of Keystone, the non-River Run area. You can see it from highway 6 as you drive to the big gravel parking lot at River Run.

Sorry, got no pics.
thanks for the info. how would you rate its difficulty. Could any semi decent ride run the course or is it a little tougher?

·
Out Of Control
244 Posts
I am also thinking about doing this downhill event for fun. It would be my first so any comments/tips etc would be great. What class would I run...I assume some beginner class.

·
Registered
444 Posts
yup

I should be racing mountain cross. I'm picking my buddy up from the airport at 9:30am and we're heading out. See you all there.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jrok said:
I am also thinking about doing this downhill event for fun. It would be my first so any comments/tips etc would be great. What class would I run...I assume some beginner class.
Course is very nice if it is the same as last year.

pics from last year

·
Registered
896 Posts
I was at keystone saturday, and I would have to say that the mx course really needs some work. Compared to the other courses in the MSC, the jumps are very tall, almost too tall, and the course is very short. I would imagine that some major work will be done before the race, because right now the jumps/berms are in bad shape and the course is littered with rocks. Im surprised they havent made more progress on the course with only 2 weeks left until the race.

The DH on the other hand should be great, I cant wait to hear which sections will be used. Certainly not the new section of trail with the ladder bridge in the trees, but that would be awesome.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think the MX course would be a good course for a first timer. Since it is pretty short and goes across the hill more than it goes down, it may keep the speed slower (IMO). The jumps can easily be manualled or rolled if need be. So yes, if you've got some decent skills and love the adreneline rush, then I think it would be fun to do! But like WheelieMan said it does have a bunch of rocks all over it and needs to be cleaned up before a major race is to be ran on it.

As for the DH, I talked to a guy at the shop in the village about the course and he said it does use the new trail. But I didn't ask him if it was actually going to use the bridge section. That would certainly make things interesting.....or dangerous if it does!

I'll be there for the DH, but can't do the MX (the CU vs CSU football game is that day). This will actually be my first DH race on a "real" DH race bike. Should be fun!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good luck and heads up...

Looks like there will be several new riders to the MSC at Keystone. Just a head's up. Expect the MX and DH course to be interesting/difficult, but really fun. This is the last race of the MSC outside of the Angelfire Downhill. In which case it is considered the individual and team championships.
Also, if you want to avoid the extra $10 late fee, be sure to go to www.handlebarandgrill.com, follow the links to active.com and preregister by Wed 08/25/04 midnight. If you don't have a NORBA license, there will also be a $5.00 add on. good luck and have fun.

"Keep the rubber side down!"

SilentK said:
I think the MX course would be a good course for a first timer. Since it is pretty short and goes across the hill more than it goes down, it may keep the speed slower (IMO). The jumps can easily be manualled or rolled if need be. So yes, if you've got some decent skills and love the adreneline rush, then I think it would be fun to do! But like WheelieMan said it does have a bunch of rocks all over it and needs to be cleaned up before a major race is to be ran on it.

As for the DH, I talked to a guy at the shop in the village about the course and he said it does use the new trail. But I didn't ask him if it was actually going to use the bridge section. That would certainly make things interesting.....or dangerous if it does!

I'll be there for the DH, but can't do the MX (the CU vs CSU football game is that day). This will actually be my first DH race on a "real" DH race bike. Should be fun!!

·
Out Of Control
244 Posts
I just registered so I'll see ya guys up there. Look for the newbie on the AC1 gettin his a$$ handed to him:) This will be my first downhill event so I'm pumped! :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll be doing DH on Monday.

I would do MX but I have to support my Rams against the evil empire of Boulder. ;)

·
Out Of Control
244 Posts
SilentK said:
I'll be doing DH on Monday.

I would do MX but I have to support my Rams against the evil empire of Boulder. ;)
Nice...what bike u riding? Maybe I'll see ya up there, or better yet get smoked down the hill ;)

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Cross Country, anyone?

FrontRanger said:
I should be there on Sunday, with my friend Phil, racing the Cross Country, also
for "fun". :-o

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice...what bike u riding? Maybe I'll see ya up there, or better yet get smoked down the hill
I ride a Silver Turner DHR w/ Silver Shiver. Yeah, my steed's mostly silver, and I usually wear red shorts.

I think you mentioned you have a Giant AC1?

This is my first DH race and I have no idea how fast or not I am so I'm in the Beginner class (lame, I know). I have Friday off so I'm practicing then, if anybody wants to join. I won't be back to the mountain until Monday am. Hope I still have some braincells left!

·
Out Of Control
244 Posts
SilentK said:
I ride a Silver Turner DHR w/ Silver Shiver. Yeah, my steed's mostly silver, and I usually wear red shorts.

I think you mentioned you have a Giant AC1?

This is my first DH race and I have no idea how fast or not I am so I'm in the Beginner class (lame, I know). I have Friday off so I'm practicing then, if anybody wants to join. I won't be back to the mountain until Monday am. Hope I still have some braincells left!
Yea I will be giving the ac-1 a go down the dh course on Monday in the beginner class :D I'll be sure to look out for ya Monday and say hello.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What should I do?? I am going to race the DH, but I don't know if I should do beginner or sport. I've been riding DH all summer and I have a full on DH ride (Big Hit w/shiver), but this is my first race.. I don't want to seem like a "sandbagger" and sign up for beginner, but maybe sport is out of my league?? Who knows!

Also, quick question about the course… My azz is out of shape and I don't think I can pedal all the way down that mountain for like 15 minutes without crashing. Is the DH course going to be short (4-8 minutes)?

·
Out Of Control
244 Posts
PMAC said:
What should I do?? I am going to race the DH, but I don't know if I should do beginner or sport. I've been riding DH all summer and I have a full on DH ride (Big Hit w/shiver), but this is my first race.. I don't want to seem like a "sandbagger" and sign up for beginner, but maybe sport is out of my league?? Who knows!

Also, quick question about the course… My azz is out of shape and I don't think I can pedal all the way down that mountain for like 15 minutes without crashing. Is the DH course going to be short (4-8 minutes)?
I couldn't help ya decide what class to do cause I have no idea how competitive they are. I have ridden the course and its plenty fast for me. I don't pedal like crazy down this trial...course im not that experienced.

Here's a link to the course map if you haven't seen it yet. Nice course i think.
http://www.cyclecyndicate.com/events/keystone/keystone_DH.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts