Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may not be the right forum but I guess for the training aspect it is. I've been riding for 4-5 years now and feel like my technical skills are pretty good and when I ride with my usual group I feel good after the ride. I don't do any racing and really don't plan to, but when I ride with some of the guys in our club that do a lot of racing I tend to get dropped pretty quick. So, my goal for this year is to get to where I'm able to hang with some of these guys. My first agenda is to loose a few pounds. I started the year at 220 and I am now down to 211 with a goal of 190-195, at 6'3" that should be a good weight. Second, is to get my endurance level up. What are the keys to riding faster, longer? Trail miles? Road miles? A lot of climbing? What helps the most? Where should I focus my training?

Thanks

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
cruzthepug said:
This may not be the right forum but I guess for the training aspect it is. I've been riding for 4-5 years now and feel like my technical skills are pretty good and when I ride with my usual group I feel good after the ride. I don't do any racing and really don't plan to, but when I ride with some of the guys in our club that do a lot of racing I tend to get dropped pretty quick. So, my goal for this year is to get to where I'm able to hang with some of these guys. My first agenda is to loose a few pounds. I started the year at 220 and I am now down to 211 with a goal of 190-195, at 6'3" that should be a good weight. Second, is to get my endurance level up. What are the keys to riding faster, longer? Trail miles? Road miles? A lot of climbing? What helps the most? Where should I focus my training?

Thanks
I like your goal of 190. 180 - 185 would be even better for your height, but keep working at it. The more you weigh, the more you have to push up the hills. I dropped from 212 to 182 and am the same height as you. It's a rather amazing difference on the bike at the lighter weight.

Lots of talk of Dave Morris on this forum and off season weight lifting for the legs (leg curls, squats, lunges, etc...) to help you build the legs for the key mountain biking ingredient which is power.

Plenty of stuff to seach on this forum, but for some Morris synopsis and how to structure your year to get the most gain, go here:

http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2005/11/off-season-training-appendix-mtbdoc.html

...and here....

http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2005/11/off-season-training-index-and.html

Training with something that measures power as opposed to heart rate seems to be the way to get the quickest results. Plenty of stuff to read at those 2 links above to keep you from doing endless hours of road riding/endurance training which for your mountain bike club rides with the guys won't really help you achieve your goals of riding with more power to keep up with them.

Read all that stuff and then post some questions.

BB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.