Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a voodoo frame with sliding drops. im keen to move the position the rear wheel sits in, and i can do so if i make some alternative sliders. the stock sliders have small shallow keyed sections that run in slots on the back sides of the steel drop outs.

anyone any idea whether these are to transmit force or to guide the drops or maybe to stop rotation forces?

·
Randomhead
1,183 Posts
Both. If you are adding extra cantilever distance to the wheel position, you may cause the stays to fail. You would certainly want to keep as much strength in the dropout/slider connection as possible. Generally there is enough room to move the wheel one chain link and no more.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello!

happy new year!

yeah, similar...not my pic, but they are the smae as these:

there is a small square keyed section for the upper bolt and a longer one for the bottom bolt. what i was hoping to do was to drop the rear of a 29er frame. im using it as a fixed gear town bike, so i dont need brake alignment, but would like a slacker seat angle....

i have 8mm thick aluminium flat bar, that i reckon will take a thread nicely, but its going to make it a lot more complicated to key the sliders. i could cut/file notches and use some 3 or 4mm flat bar so that it sits the 2mm or so proud needed...dunno! sounds like a lot of work, but it is all icy outside!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.