Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Kevlar Nanos on my new bike, and everyone seems to think I am riding to certain death. What's up? Are all Kevlar beaded tires a bad idea on 29ers? Are any of them light AND reliable? What is the alternative, and how do we keep these monster truck tires down to a reasonable weight?

I live in Nor-Cal so I guess I want a reccomendation for a dry terrain multi purpose tire and a slop tire for winter.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Lutarious said:
I have a pair of Kevlar Nanos on my new bike, and everyone seems to think I am riding to certain death. What's up? Are all Kevlar beaded tires a bad idea on 29ers? Are any of them light AND reliable? What is the alternative, and how do we keep these monster truck tires down to a reasonable weight?

I live in Nor-Cal so I guess I want a reccomendation for a dry terrain multi purpose tire and a slop tire for winter.
I have only ridden folding bead tires on 29"ers. I have not had a single problem.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I have had zero problems with folding Nano's.

I havn't tried the folding Exi's yet.

R.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
I've got the folding Exi and Nano and I'm in NorCal too. Been good in the dry. So far only crashes have been at Rockville in the last 2 weeks due to rider balance errors or trying to insist that a slimy, moss covered rock should have traction.... stupid rock didn't cooperate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kevlar Beads & Stans

I believe the most deadly combination, according to what I have read here, is the Stan's tubeless system combined with Kevlar beads on a 29" tire.

Some posts suggest it leads to certain doom.

The claim is that the Stan's Fluid weakens the bead, allowing it to pop or rip off the rim.

Personally, I am running a wire Nano rear and a Bontrager Kevlar front with tubes with no problems. It has been about 3 months now.

Having that said, I plan on converting to Stan's with some Kevlar bead tires for my 29er and am looking for kevlar tire suggestions that have been reliable with Stan's.

Thanks

W. Ritter

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
kevlar nanos

had 2 break beads, 1 time the bike was in a stand. these were tubed not stans.
i will not run the the folding nanos again unless they lose weight and the bead chg's.
the are not being made anymore, so what does that tell you. wtb pulled them and
only offers the wire version. if they bring them back, and they weigh around 575 i would
run them, otherwise those new karmas look like the perfect racing tire, 515 g's
and 53mm wide casing. i have said this before, but i will say it again. why are clydes
complaining that the karma does not seem durable enough for a "trail" tire! i dont
get it. there are tons of trail tires out there. THE KARMA IS NOT A TRAIL TIRE,
DO YOU UNDERSTAND! IF YOU WEIGH 200LBS, WHY ARE YOU A WEIGHT WEENIE? GET REAL PEOPLE, AND USE SOME COMMON SENSE!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have had several Kevlar bead failures as well, but only when I went with pressures over 40 or so--yes, while running Stan's. The kevlar nano's were the worst--for me. I like the tread and am running a wire bead nano with Stan's on the back right now with no problems. Now I run pressures under 35 any time I run a kevlar 29er tire.

The liquid latex does not weaken the kevlar bead. I'm not an engineer but am under the impression (from talking to Stan) that the much longer circumference of a 29er tire puts more stress on the bead than with a 26 inch tire and the manufacturers were caught off guard by this--and hopefully will eventually be making stronger kevlar beads on their tires.

I'm also anxiously awaiting the 29 inch Karmas for race tires. I'm a little bummed that their production Karmas will only be made with the L3Rpro compound, instead of the superior DTC (dual tread compound with Stick-E rubber on the side knobs)--apparently the prototypes that people got to try were DTC.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Especially Continental tires have been known to disintergrate (sp) due to he dilutent (sp) in some types of liquid latex.
My Kevlar Nano's (first batch) failed at any pressure, with tubes, well before the knobs started wearing. Same for first batch Bontrager AcX's. I feel like a guinea pig. I spend a furtune, and got a couple miles out of it, now : no tires.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,397 Posts
I'm gonna be "that guy" (and probably doom myself in the process). I have never had an issue with any non-UST Conti tire, either in UST rims, or stans'd rims. I am currently surrounded bike bikes set up this way, as I am every day at my shop. No blowouts, torn beads, nothing. I did have one bead that got stretched cause the guy ran it up to about 80 psi with his compressor, but hey, that's not the tire fault. I am on Maxxis Ignitors, and Schwalbe Little Alberts on my 29-er, stans'd, no issues there either. I must have a major guardian mojo hanging with me, or you all have the worst luck I have ever seen. I have been working in shops for over 20 years, and have been doing Stan's and UST rims with nonUST tires (with stans), since they came out, not one problem. Guess I must be doing something right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've run IRC kevlar bead tires tubeless (Stans) for 3 years now with zero problems. I really like the Bontrager tires for weight and traction where I live, but I have not run them tubeless nor will I after hearing other reports and knowing that the bead sometimes floats off the rim with tubes while railing hard around corners (there's nothing like finding leaves and pine needles on the inside of your tire with no explanation of how they got there unless the bead is floating off the rim at times). My only experience with the Nanos is the wire bead version and it was the most wobbly tire I ever used.

·
Registered
485 Posts
other side of the equasion

you know, rims, and their lack of exact standards between brands, might have a little bit to do with the variety of results using this one tire, however your using it.

·
Only dead people are old
682 Posts
rryyddeerr said:
you know, rims, and their lack of exact standards between brands, might have a little bit to do with the variety of results using this one tire, however your using it.
Yep - it seems that there is not a standard or specification that rim and tire manufacturers have to meet so we get "loose" fits on some combos and tight fits with others. Someday let's hope a standard tightens this all up a bit.

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Specialized Fast Trak

Anybody try the Spec. Fast Trak kevlar beads converted with Stan's? I have a set but am afraid to try it. I am using stans Olympic 29er rims as well. Any help will be appreciated.

BTW, I have always used wire bead WTB tires with great success.

·
Registered
485 Posts
why the hell not?

stew said:
Anybody try the Spec. Fast Trak kevlar beads converted with Stan's? I have a set but am afraid to try it. I am using stans Olympic 29er rims as well. Any help will be appreciated.

BTW, I have always used wire bead WTB tires with great success.
I mean, come on, youve got the tires and the best rims for it. just put em on and air em up. let em sit over night and see what happens.
whats that sound your making?!
kind of like "WREEEEE!! WREEEEEE!!!"

·
Registered
85 Posts
nanos

I have used the IRC Mythos kevlar bead with Stans and had no problems with them, loved them in fact. That was on my 26" bike. I tried to Stans the Kenda Klaws, it is a good trail tire for the muddy conditions here in Nor cal at the moment. I could not get the Stans to work with the kendas, the bead was fine but the sidewalls kept bleeding air and no amount of sealant or shaking could get them to seal. I have put tubes in and all is well for the moment. I tried to order some wire nanos for racing this spring and summer, however the distributor informed me that the wire bead has been discontinued and replaced with a folding kevlar bead. I have not verifed this with WTB but I will. Maybe Stans new tire will be out soon but until then I guess I will stick to tubes, unless someone can enlighten me.
B.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts