Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
should...

LakeRaven said:

Nothing fancy......just a good ride at Kettle with friends
Should I bring the Guerciotti hand-me-down? Yes! I will rode on my cross fixie style! Just for fun. I hope the weather is nice. My ENO wheels will be happy to be at Kettle.

May's going to be very cool...

Annabel's 1st b-day.
Kettle Ride
Revenge of the Sith
Matt Chester

It's all good.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Sounds fun, but isn't that Mem Day W-end (traffic and parking lot zoo)?

It's getting harder and harder for me to make the trip there with Blue Mound so close and great, and the desire to work on PV and the boulder field. Kettles are fun for my single speed though.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if the wife will let me out for the day? you may want to park in LaGrange and ride in if the lots are full.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep....the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend....here's an idea for you to avoid the zoo........ride your bike from Madison pulling your camping gear in a bob trailer........What no bob trailer?..........ride (sans bob) to whitewater and get chummy with a local gal and shack up for the night..........What? strike out with the local heffers? Married or have scrupples?.......sleep in a ditch or sneek into a barn and sleep with a genuine holstein heffer. Then show up and ride with us at Kettle. Or just stay in Mad-Town and do some more of that great trailwork I've read about. Now that frygren have gone nomadic, maybe build something with flow.....or not....but keep on smile'n.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
LakeRaven said:
your bike from Madison pulling your camping gear in a bob trailer........What no bob trailer?..........ride (sans bob) to whitewater and get chummy with a local gal and shack up for the night...........
I've got a Trek trailer you could borrow :D

as far as UW-W gals... see, now you made me relive so memories I thought were gone... go take a time out.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
LakeRaven said:
yep....the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend....here's an idea for you to avoid the zoo........ride your bike from Madison pulling your camping gear in a bob trailer........What no bob trailer?..........ride (sans bob) to whitewater and get chummy with a local gal and shack up for the night..........What? strike out with the local heffers? Married or have scrupples?.......sleep in a ditch or sneek into a barn and sleep with a genuine holstein heffer. Then show up and ride with us at Kettle. Or just stay in Mad-Town and do some more of that great trailwork I've read about. Now that frygren have gone nomadic, maybe build something with flow.....or not....but keep on smile'n.
Grandma the babysitter is maybe 15 miles from Kettles, and I started riding those trails in the 1960s when the moms dropped us off with our PB&Js and Koolaid for the sports food. The Typhoons and Sting Rays made it real single speeding too! I can't imagine parents (incl. me) doing same with their kids these days.

I didn't ask for it, but I am one of the two trail managers at BMSP now. Please consider some form of request for what you would like and I'll make sure you are heard. I can also give you the park manager's address if you send a private message. My suggestion to those who did not like the work S&R did would be to volunteer while they are gone and appreciate the work they did to make a lot possible in the first place.

Volunteering is also important because consensus among volunteers and park manager determines what happens. Very few have built what's there, so it would only take a few new faces to change the consensus building. S&R agreed the PV area should have fast and flowing trail.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Volunteering?

I volunteer to ride these trails every year. I also volunteer $90 every year for 2 trail passes and 2 parking stickers (one for me and one for the wife).

Hey if you guys need help with trailwork you should advertise it so that us flatlanders can come up and help...

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Uh, he does. Ever read the Region boards. He's all over it there. I certainly commend his work. If I lived closer, I'd be down there too!

Oh, and Gary, nice one. Flow...t on ;)

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
gofast said:
I volunteer to ride these trails every year. I also volunteer $90 every year for 2 trail passes and 2 parking stickers (one for me and one for the wife).

Hey if you guys need help with trailwork you should advertise it so that us flatlanders can come up and help...
Thank you for your interest.

Unfortunately that money does not build the trails at BMSP and other places. The exceptions might when the Park staff has carried tools a few times. That money has surely gone to repair and police some areas in the state though.

Joining a club in your area or an area that interests you will help if you are interested in more trails and can't volunteer time. That is because those groups typically organize the volunteers, buy tools, insurance and other resources.

We broadcast our work days via the WORBA.ORG 3w site, 2 Club MTB groups, and here. We do the best we can. Volunteering is just that, and making 18+ miles of trail with hand tools and a small group of people takes a while.

Please consider joining us or a group close to home some time. I have volunteered in a few groups over the years and found that you usually meet decent people and can have some fun. We will also be adding some new twists this year. One bike manufacturer will be having a parts raffle at work days, a store will be issuing credit to volunteers and feeding them, and we're also talking with other businesses to help make more progress.

Bottom line: Nothing will accelerate getting more done than more people working on it when no commercial or government group is going to do it.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Dear BitFlogger,

You are preaching to the Choir......Both GoFast and I volunteer our time to build trail with our local trail advocacy organization. We understand what you're saying. You have effectivly stolen a thread about a fun bike ride and made it into a lecture slash sermon about you and your trail building dilema. Step away from the pulpit and come ride your bike with us. You may meet people that can help you with what (by all appearances) are dismal recruiting skills.

The bottom line is you have to make things FUN! The reason we do trailwork is so we can RIDE the bike. So stop being a wet blanket and come ride your bike with the very people that can help you acheive the goals which you have repeatedly expressed.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
LakeRaven said:
Dear BitFlogger,

You are preaching to the Choir......Both GoFast and I volunteer our time to build trail with our local trail advocacy organization. We understand what you're saying. You have effectivly stolen a thread about a fun bike ride and made it into a lecture slash sermon about you and your trail building dilema. Step away from the pulpit and come ride your bike with us. You may meet people that can help you with what (by all appearances) are dismal recruiting skills.

The bottom line is you have to make things FUN! The reason we do trailwork is so we can RIDE the bike. So stop being a wet blanket and come ride your bike with the very people that can help you acheive the goals which you have repeatedly expressed.
Here's some flow made with you in mind. A great turnout allowed for fixing existing trail and a good start on the boulder field traverse. It should only get better because have weekends coming up where bike businesses will be giving away bike parts, feeding people and even paying people with store credit.

Right now 4 miles of single speed = a few days of pain and 4 hours of hand tools = exercise and more single track. It's granny gear until the referral to the UW sports med clinic.

Sorry, but I don't think my saying your event sounds fun and wondering if a crowded weekend is a good time to get more work done near home is stealing the thread. I do think the the responses putting down people who have worked for trails all over the state, stereotyping of people from the area, and thinking park passes = volunteering is flame throwing.

With some luck I'll be able to join the fun with a granny gear or tend a grill, but with 3 mini kids, running a business and naughty knee my only sure promise is family and saving time when possible. Don't shoot if I'm on a granny though. Adding a tooth in back has not done enough to stop the pain and what ever is wrong has my knee banging into the top tube.

See ya'll if Memorial Day ends up in a town only minutes away.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.