Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all that came out. We had riders representing Evergreen, Fat Tire Trail Riders in Spokane, WMBC B'ham, Pend Oreille Pedalers, SW Idaho Mt. Bike Association from Boise, and our first representatives from Canada.

The forest service were very appreciative of the hard day of work we put in, clearing and brushing trail, making rock cairns, making a culvert crossing sustainable, and working with the Backcountry Horseman in microblasting rock from the trail.

Thanks so much to our sponsors New Belgium Beer, Hermosa Tours, Diamondback Bikes, and Ridemonkey.com.

Thanks to all that participated at both the Helens and Kettle Fest. It's always great to have mt. bikers unite to make a positive impact, meet, and share stories in a festive atmosphere. Those of you that participate have made a great contribution simply by showing up and representing. Thanks so much and look forward to seeing many of you again next year.:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Kettle Fest was as good as always! I'm already looking forward to next year! Like the Timster said, thanks for coming out, riding the trail, pitching in on the trail workday, drinking beer and sharing your food :)

And if anyone is interested in a deathmarch from Deer Creek pass to Sherman Pass for next year let me know.

I'm not sure if anyone else took pics but I'll post some of my poor quality video later.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We found some great mushrooms out there, can you tell?;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jimba said:
Same cabin, same day, different group.
I think your picture was from Friday. We rode Sherman Peak on Sunday as well.

Skookum said:
We found some great mushrooms out there, can you tell?;)
Here's the proof:

Maybe next time we can all sing the Badger Badger Mushroom Mushroom song:

·
Registered
289 Posts
indiemtbkr said:
And if anyone is interested in a deathmarch from Deer Creek pass to Sherman Pass for next year let me know.
I've always wanted to do that! Do you know how often that gets ridden in a day? Is there a preferred direction?

·
bro not pro
378 Posts
Work Party report

Kettle Crest Work Party Crews 3 and 4; The Loppers and The Cairners.

Most all of the crew captured in this picture:

Our initial mission was to trim vegetation with loppers, however thanks to Glenn Glover's previous day scouting mission, only saws were appropriate. There were quite a few blow downs along the trail to Snow Cabin, south Kettle. Here Lee (Canada) and Glenn go at it.

Some of the Blow Downs were too big for our hand saws. A chain saw would have made short work out of this. Eric (back facing) moved logs like a true woodsman.

Jim easily manages this log one handed.

and then he gets to ride through his handiwork

Art was in on it too

After a break at the cabin, Art, Ellen, Glenn, and myself headed south for Edd's Trail. Some south Kettle views along the way

Edds Trail is an east-west connector between CrestSouth and access points to the west. It is seldom used, hence the need to mark it. And so began the task.

About 3/4 way, we met up with the "Micro-Blasting" Crew. the most funnest trail building I've ever seen, since they got to blow up rocks !

Jon Jantz (Spokane), Anthony, Glenn, Art, and Mire survey the situation. USFS stands by.

A trusty steed stands by

Anthony explains to the others how the micro blasting works. (Note his 24-Hour race tee shirt)

After watching and chatting with our colleges, we turned around and headed back from whence we came. Cairn building as we went.

We got back on Crest trail, and headed north to Sherman Pass, and then enjoyed a glorious descent down to camp along the Sherman Creek Trail.

and that's all folks. -Peter Partel

·
That Waters Guy
611 Posts
Really bummed I missed the giant mushroom. Looks like a big wheel o' cheese! How was it? (Those giant puffballs are supposed to be tasty, if that's what it was?)

·
I should be out riding
1,863 Posts
trees4me said:
I've always wanted to do that! Do you know how often that gets ridden in a day? Is there a preferred direction?
+ 1, was eyeing that up earlier this year. I would guess North to South would be the way to go, plus it would end in camp that way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sweet videos, Lee!

I think Thursday's ride is going to be a future staple- up Old Stage, and continue on the Kettle Crest trail to Sherman Pass with an easier option out at Jungle Hill.

trees4me said:
I've heard of it being ridden in a day. Either way would work but North to South like ACree said would probably be the way to go. There is hardly any flat parts to the Kettle Crest trail so it would definitely be a long day.

Some video from Sunday:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great photos and videos folks. Watched zdfg's vid from couple years ago too. This place looks like some most excellent riding!

So this thread looks like the place for me to ask... I will be camping at Lake Curlew St. Pk this weekend and part of next week. I'm planning on riding the Jungle Hill loop. Got a wife and kids back at the campsite so it's nice to give them an idea of when I'll be back. Can anyone tell me an estimated mileage, elev gain/loss, and roughly how long it takes to complete?

Question 2: are there any quick out-n-backs easy to access from the Lake Curlew area? Looking at the maps there seem to be trailheads up several of the FS roads on the east side of the lake.

Question 3: Recommendation for a tame trail to take the new to mtb wife on that, again, is relatively close to the Lk.Curlew area?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
*sigh* These are all just so boring Lee. Where's the dirt jumps? ;)

It's almost a good thing this system is so far away. Because if we had this 30-90 minutes away from greater Seattle, the trails would get just lived to death. They are that good, :thumbsup:

(You're making me feel worse and worse about not going though. :) Perhaps a fall trip in mid-late September is in order?)

·
dude
407 Posts
LeeL said:
here's day 3 -possibly the finest downhill I've ever had the pleasure of riding
Any more details on the route, trail stats, etc... (Maybe even a GPS track?) for that day? I've been in Spokane almost a year now and a day trip up there sounds like fun.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
The jungle hill ride can easily be done as a day trip. Figure on about 1. 75 hours to get to the top of Sherman Pass where the ride starts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts