Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kettle Fest 2019

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Preston67 
#1 ·
Just under a month away. Who's in and what rides this year?

Al has suggested an Edd's mtn variation of Snow Peak cabin (Pass to the cabin, then continue South on the crest, and take Edd's mountain over a few high meadows and descend a different trailhead. This piece is part of what the Wilderness groups want closed to bikes so might be good to spend some time on it. Evergreen did trailwork on Edd's in 2009 or 2010, where we worked with some guys from BCH that had a super cool mini rock blaster.

Taylor Ridge and post ride swim in the river seems like a must do.

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/calendar/eventdetail/5562/kettlefest-2019

Bicycle wheel Natural environment Plant Bicycle frame Plant community

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, unless one wanted to do it as an out and back (presumably stopping short of the near fall line descent). It does have quite a bit of climbing, especially if starting from JH campground.

There is also the south crest deathmarch that nobody has done in years.

#4 ·
Hi Folks. Sadly I can't make Kettle Fest. Looks like a good week. However, I would like to ride that area. What would be the recommended rides for a first time to that area. I am fairly fit. Either with shuttle or no shuttle. Looking for beta. Thanks,
Joe

#7 ·
I think the classic into loop (it was our first ride) is to start at Jungle Hill Campground, climb up to Sherman Pass (trailforks calls this "Sherman Tie" for some reason, but I think the FS signs say "Sherman Pass"), then head north on the Kettle Crest Trail, then down the Jungle Hill trail to your car. Includes two fun descents and a lot of nice rambling near the ridge crest just below treeline, plus it's a loop, so you don't have to repeat anything except the first/last 1/4 mile. This was a pretty full day with my 12 y.o., but probably more like a morning for a fit, fast party.

about to dive down jungle hill:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Sports equipment Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

#8 ·
Good catch. The trail from the pass to Jungle Hill has been referred to as the tie trail as long as we've been going there (10+ years). Looks like its actually Sherman Pass (to Jungle Hill), and Sherman Pass Tie (from Sherman Pass Overlook CG to Sherman Pass). Just made the edits in TF.

#10 ·
Problem with Abercrombie is that it's over an hour, hour 1/2 drive to trail head from JH camping.
And well worth it. 1.5 hour drive to go mountain biking, I do that every weekend. Heck on a bad traffic day it takes that long to go to Tiger after work.
And there's a fantastic swimming lake on the way back.
Its one the longest uninterrupted DH in WA, and the upper climb is a techy paradise.
Not like its mandatory though ha ha. Not sure if I can even make it yet, have to see how work is shaking down that week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.