Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those on the fence come on out, the rides are tailored to support riders of a wide spectrum of rider level of fitness and ability. Recent log out reports are very promising and the trails should be clear and prime.

https://www.bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=6524

https://www.bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=6731

https://www.bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=6525

Currently in Springfield Oregon but will be back online on Wednesday to answer any questions i can.

Campout will be held at Jungle Hill Campground. Off of Washington State Highway 20 inbetween the towns of Republic and Kettle Falls. Less than 2 miles East of Sherman Pass take a left on Albian Hill Rd#2030. Follow road for .6 miles to the sign at the edge of the gravel pit. From there go .2 miles to the campsite area, super easy to find.

See ya there.:)

*SIGN MARKER FOR CAMPOUT

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks to all that showed and helped contribute to another succesful fun campout. The rides went perfectly with minimal adversity and conditions were near perfect.

i met new people from both sides of the mountains and enjoyed 3 awesome days at the Kettle Crest. One of the states top five destination trail systems.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It was great weather and trail conditions. Everything was perfect... well except for my bent derailleur hanger. The rides weren't as epic as last year but that was ok with me. We had a great group of people... including a whole 4 from the East side... Wohooo!! The campfire made for some good times with marshmallow fights, meat on a stick and dorito burning.

I wasn't around for the first ride at Jungle Hill which is always a great ride. The next ride was a long climb up Old Stagecoach, with a nap at the top, followed by a fun descent down Midnight Ridge.

Some of us had some fun playing on some logs while waiting for everyone at the bottom.

The next day we shuttled to the top of Sherman Pass and rode and out-and-back to Snow Peak Cabin. A smaller group descended to the base of Barnaby Buttes before turning around. And 1 rider had to experience the thrill of climbing Barnaby.

The return descent on the Sherman Loop trail was a blast.

And the final descent from Sherman Pass to the Jungle Hill campsite

A Big Thanks to Tim for organizing and leading these rides. Next year should be even bigger and better if we include some B.C. riding in addition to the Kettle Crest area. The Seven Summits Trail near Rossland, which is an IMBA epic, should make a nice addition.

If anyone wants more pics of them, send me a PM.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome pics.:thumbsup:

FTTRC representin.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Inquiring minds wanna know....

First of all...WAS Hank there?

How bad was the poo?

Just up and over Stagecoach/Midnight? What did you do after lunch? :)

What's the North Camp spot for next year?

Awesome pics. Just like I was there.

Next year. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borneo said:
First of all...WAS Hank there?
Not sure, but we did get a positive visual of Barry the psycho cowboy. Cowboys and Hippies took over the campground this year, and it was a music battle between Led Zeppelin and Travis Tritt. We camped in the big clearing and it was actually nice, considering the lack of dust and moderate temperature.

Borneo said:
How bad was the poo?
Horse poo not noticeable, Free Range Cattle Poo was pretty bad around Columbia Mountain, that's about it...

Borneo said:
Just up and over Stagecoach/Midnight? What did you do after lunch? :)
Lot's of napping, lot's of drinking, lot's of Mike Westra somehow being pompous and *****, and caveman like at the same time. He's the only guy i know that can pull that off.

Borneo said:
What's the North Camp spot for next year?
Don't know, i was going to scout but i've been to busy doing stuff Indians do on Rez's to take a sneek and peek up there. i'll have more time to do some research in the next year as i don't intend on building another trail again for a long time.
But i do hope to expand on what we've been doing, hope to invite more people from more mt. bike clubs in and outside Washington State. i think the idea of a main campout that invites riders from clubs from abroad to network is an idea that should have the legs to grow beyond me, i certainly hope it does and i'm intending on making that happen. Kettle Campout should be something that happens every year attracting a wide faction of riders from the region.

Borneo said:
Awesome pics. Just like I was there.

Next year. :thumbsup:
Bring a passport to ride up in Rossland and bring a McLeod and Pulaski as we might be scratching trail for a day. (Reestablishing Leona Loop) Will know much more as time goes by.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I vote we should have the campsite for Kettle at the same place since it would be closest to Rossland. And then we can camp up near Rossland for 2 rides.

I'll be riding with some Idahoans from POP (Sandpoint club) this weekend... I'll try and see if we can get them on board for next year.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
indiemtbkr said:
I vote we should have the campsite for Kettle at the same place since it would be closest to Rossland. And then we can camp up near Rossland for 2 rides.
Ok duh after looking at the map you have to head up from Kettle Falls to make it up there. Ok, well the thought was to be closer to any possible trail work we might be able to do up there. But it's contigent on whether or not we can organize something like that, and there is always resistance from some people to come so far and do trailwork.

My thoughts are that there may be something we could do around the Jungle Hill campground that might not take a full day. And the primary focus is to gain points and show that mountain bikers can have a positive impact on the area and are a viable user group to consider as Wilderness is considered.

Since Kettle is having these access issues i'd like to do what i can there.

But you're right the Jungle Hill Campground is absolutely ideal in that 2 top notch rides Jungle Hill Loop and a Snow Peak Cabin Out and Back start and end at the campground, so we'll likely continue to base the Kettle stay there.

indiemtbkr said:
I'll be riding with some Idahoans from POP (Sandpoint club) this weekend... I'll try and see if we can get them on board for next year.
Yah that would be great to let em know, and if you could give them my email i would like to start correspondence, so more clubs will be dialed in and have the option of going.

formica said:
dumb question maybe, but is there a group site that can be reserved?
No none of the campsites are pay sites either. Not enough demand there i assume for that to be considered. But it's an interesting question in that if we do trailwork i wonder if we can get some consideration for reservations...
All this stuff i'll try to get dialed in for next year.:)

·
I5Troll
1,343 Posts
B.C. Addition: Rossland & Nelson

Another waaaay awesome trip, Tim! Thanks for setting everything up and leading 3 killer rides. The Sherman Peak and Jungle Hill loops are definitely on my top 10 XC ride list.

Sorry, no pics...

After Kettle Crest... Joel, Sarah, Paul and I headed up to Rossland BC on Monday morning, hooked up with Mike, Sherry, Steph and Scott. We booked a wicked afternoon shuttle... 1) Oasis (long, fast, steep and sometimes gnarly downhill with a few constructed features. 2) Whiskey (shorter, but loaded with steep mucho-gnarly rocky tech -- my favorite). 3) Dewdney (fast, flowy, smooth downhill finish of the 7 summits tail).

Monday night, 4 of us headed up to Nelson and stayed at the Hume Hotel. Beautiful old style English Inn right in the center of town. Awesome hotel, awesome town... but the absolute best big/bigger bike riding!!

Tuesday am we rode up the Kokanee Glacier Road to hit the WKCR Trail, Hitman and Doz Slabs. The later was insane!! Just a series of inter-connected steep-ass 40-60 degree granite chutes... slab after slab after slab. Schweeeeeeet!! That evening, we jumped on Sacred Ride's 5:30pm $15 shuttle and hit Goldmember and then rode up a few kms to hit a new un-named trail. All awesome steeeeeep rocky gnarl.

Wed, it was down to Paul and I, and we did our own shuttle of Upper Highballer, Highballer, Placenta Descenta, Oilcan and ended it with Pulmonary. Pulmonary is another granite slabfest!! Simply Schwaaaaaaaah!! That's gotta be the first thing I hit on the next trip to Nelson. It's a 5 minute ride outa town and has granite chutes for all ability levels.

Thurs, Paul and I tried to find Tronsen Ridge on the way home. But without a map, a maze of forest roads and a trail that hasn't been cleared yet, and me running outa gas, we decided to abort. I hit Tiger Mountain at 5pm instead... nice! Iverson is in awesome shape. It was just enough to let traffic die down for the last leg home.

What a trip! I highly recommend hitting any of those spots if you have a chance. Next year I'll be there for some 7 summits *and* I'll be doing another few days in Nelson.... may skip the Rossland shuttle and head right to Nelson.

Thanks again Timmeh!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Niccceeee. Sounds like I missed a good time in B.C.

Last year I did the Oasis trail which is just my style-- a very long and fast downhill with a few optional stunts. Here's some pictures from Oasis:

We did Placenta Descenta which is Nelson's "easy" trail after it had just rained. Parts of the trail were steep enough that sliding replaced riding. I'll definitely have to check out some of those other trails next time I'm in Nelson.

This picture was taken on Highballer.

·
bro not pro
378 Posts
Kettle Crest pictures

finally downloaded pictures off my camera. Here's some:

nice new signs

Columbia Mountain shots

Gonz

Art work

play time

Joel

boys bleed brakes

Sarah

Columbia River just north of Grand Coulee damm

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good stuff, pics bring me back. That was a good vacation for me, and the campout was good times. i was born and raised in this city, but that land is very much my home.

Went hunting at some forest roads below Barnaby and White Mountain, i actually thought this one particular road would be worthwhile riding as the route runs through beautiful range, open ridge where we saw a herd of elk, marshy stream where we say a big old moose, and a lake surrounded by open meadow surrounded by cedar forest. i'm not much for dirt road riding, but it was outstanding... i need to just move to my reservation and build trail, for the rest of my days....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.