3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone practice keto diet?
What the heck is it?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
change is good
3,118 Posts
Go to the Akins diet website. Ton of info. There are now many marketed variants with questionable claims. Basically, you are tricking your body into a state of starvation. The brain and muscles prefer glucose as an energy source. When that is taken away the body has to look to fat as an energy source. You are now in a state of ketosis. However many can not tolerate being in that state for prolonged periods of time.

Many diets are ketogenic, not a true state of ketosis, but a diet relatively low in carbs. Diets should have low levels of homemade pasta, brown rice and whole grains. Minimally processed root vegetables are a better source of carbs.

Knowledge is evolving. Fats that were unacceptable before are now in vogue. I have a container of bacon grease on my stove. Carbs back in the day used to be okay but are now evil. Americans typically get enough protein. Vegans have to be more attentive.

I’m a carnivore and I have a smoker so I’ve been on the original Akins diet. I’m not paying a company to keep me at a low carb count.

Caveat- if your not in a true state of ketosis and say if you’re eating lots of nuts, bacon and other calorie dense foods, you may gain weight. Low carbs is not necessarily a get out of jail free card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
168 Posts
2 years on keto. I really love it, and find it easy to stick to. Works very well with intermittent fasting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Thicc Member
1,029 Posts
Did keto for about six months, it was ok. I don't need to lose weight. Advantages were no hunger cravings and more steady energy on and off the bike. I read some things that it was bad in the long term so I switched to a low carb hybrid of 2 days with carbs/5 days without. This is also much more manageable just living life because no one wants to be that guy at a party who can't eat this or that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Isn't every diet a fad?

Keto seems to work for everyone I know that has tried it and it's easier to stick to than other diets it seems. The flip side is that unless you stay on it, you tend to end up back where you started.

·
change is good
3,118 Posts
That is the case with every diet.

So true, including bariatric surgery..... and I likes to eat

At least for me when I drastically limit my carbs and when I do partake it’s in the form of rice, fried potatoes or corn tortillas but not processed sugary stuff, my carb cravings are limited. If I want something sugary I should eat a piece of fruit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
membership renounced
1,415 Posts
I've been keto for about two years, and have evolved into more of a carnivore way of eating recently. The changes have been dramatic, well beyond weight loss....reduced inflammation, improved mental health, etc. and I don't plan to ever go back to eating manufactured processed crap that makes me sick ever again. This isn't a fad, this is the way humans have sustained themselves for millions of years.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,205 Posts
My brother-in-law is on the keto and he's annoying as hell about it. He lost some weight and preaches the benefits non stop. There are some ultra-marathon runners on keto but as far as I'm aware keto is not a good diet plan for anyone doing high intensity type workouts but there is no performance loss when it comes to longer endurance type activities.

It's not for me since I eat pasta and bread religiously with no plans on slowing down.

·
membership renounced
1,415 Posts
My brother-in-law is on the keto and he's annoying as hell about it. He lost some weight and preaches the benefits non stop. There are some ultra-marathon runners on keto but as far as I'm aware keto is not a good diet plan for anyone doing high intensity type workouts but there is no performance loss when it comes to longer endurance type activities.

It's not for me since I eat pasta and bread religiously with no plans on slowing down.
Eventually pasta and bread will slow you down weather you plan to or not. It's called insulin resistance, or type II diabetes.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,205 Posts
Eventually pasta and bread will slow you down weather you plan to or not. It's called insulin resistance, or type II diabetes.
Not too worried about it, thanks for the tip though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Chronic high Insulin, and inflammation are silent killers. Almost all diseases can be linked to inflammation. Keto and carnivore are very anti-inflammatory. Keeping carb intake low, and therefore insulin low may help prevent disease. Given the crap food we have in the states, avoiding carbs might be the only way. Carbs in other countries don't have the excess, processed sugar. Specifically fructose, which is processed differently than other carbs.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,205 Posts
Electrolytes are most often what people on keto need to supplement while riding long distances, but that's probably true for anyone.
I was actually focusing more on fruits and vegetables with their naturally occurring carbs. I'm sure you didn't cut them completely out of your diet but cutting back could still deprive your body of important nutrients it needs. So that's why I ask, do you take a multi-vitamin? Rely on low carb fruits and veggies? Another source?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Almost all vegeatables are 'keto friendly,' most fruits are not. 'Net carbs' are what you are trying to keep low. Basically, fiber doesn't count. I supplement with a multivitamin, as well as several minerals...most noteably 2 different types of magnesium, turmeric, lots of sodium, and plenty of other electrolytes. Without the electrolytes, my blood pressure will get pretty low.

Anything that is high on the glycemic index is out because it spikes insulin. Keeping blood glucose low, and insulin low is the point of keto. Therefore, fruits, for the most part, are out. Especially fruits high in fructose.

One very cool thing I've noticed when I'm in ketosis is that I do not need to feed during long rides. Ketones are a much more stable fuel source, and do not get depleted as quickly as glycogen. I still carry gels, but I haven't used them for myself in a couple of years. It's mostly for emergency situations, or for other riders. On the flip side, I do carry a small container of salt, and put 0 carb electrolyte powder in my water.

·
membership renounced
1,415 Posts
I was actually focusing more on fruits and vegetables with their naturally occurring carbs. I'm sure you didn't cut them completely out of your diet but cutting back could still deprive your body of important nutrients it needs. So that's why I ask, do you take a multi-vitamin? Rely on low carb fruits and veggies? Another source?
Personally, I've moved into carnivory, and eat no fruit, and very few vegetables. The funny thing about carbs is that they increase your requirements for various nutrients. If you cut out the carbs, you don't need anywhere near the RDA levels, which aren't based in science anyhow. I used to take a multi-vitamin while a vegetarian, but didn't need them as much with keto, and have almost no need for them now with carnivory.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,205 Posts
I'm glad it works for you, it seems a bit extreme to me but I trust you've done your research and are experiencing some health benefits so who am I to judge.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Personally, I've moved into carnivory, and eat no fruit, and very few vegetables. The funny thing about carbs is that they increase your requirements for various nutrients. If you cut out the carbs, you don't need anywhere near the RDA levels, which aren't based in science anyhow. I used to take a multi-vitamin while a vegetarian, but didn't need them as much with keto, and have almost no need for them now with carnivory.
Do you eat a lot of organ meats as well? Nose to tail? I'm contemplating that route, but not sure how much I'll like the organs.

·
achiever
1,013 Posts
For me, keto helped me lose weight when I was a fat ass. More than a decade later, I’m training/riding/racing mtb & need all the (healthy) carbs I can get in my normal diet & sucrose/fructose 1:1 at about 80 grams carb/hour fuels my riding. On average, 70% of my daily calories comes from carbohydrate. Keto doesn’t work for high intensity riding. I felt lousy riding at a leisurely pace while in keto. Maybe had I slowed down more, it would’ve been ok but if you want performance on the bike, carbs are your friend.

*note to keto fans -I’m not here to argue for dozens of posts with you, just sharing my opinion & what I know to work for me & the vast majority of cyclists riding at high intensity levels. You may be an outlier & can ride for hours at 90% ftp with nothing for fuel but you’re body fat but I seriously doubt it*

1 - 20 of 126 Posts