Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and am planning a trip to Ketchum area in Mid May and wanted to get a feel from any locals about trail conditions and what will be rideable this year come May? Thanks for any help and input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info....I am hoping to be able to get some rides in. Love the area. Family used to live there and have done a bunch of Moto but not much mtb in the area. Thanks again.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The trails that will be open will likely be good by then. A few up north may still have snow, but most will be open. Up by Stanley (fisher creek, etc.) may not be ready yet. They got more snow than we did.

Unfortunately, we lost quite a few in the fires last year, especially south out of Hailey. Particularly the really sweet moto built Greenhorn trail system. But the Ketchum area stuff will be good, and should be rocking and rolling by then. We had a low snow year so stuff is going to dry out early this year.

Shoot me a PM when it is closer and I will let you know what is up. I live in Hailey, and work in Ketchum and am a very regular rider.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sunvalleylaw for the insight. I was sorry to see those fires and heard about the greenhorn trail system being affected. So easy to just ride from the house. I will send you a PM for sure as the trip gets closer. We are staying in the adams gulch area so will be able to ride from the house. Since I haven't done the mtb trails around Ketchum any other insight or ideas would be appreciated. Will need to get back in late July and August to hit stanley basin with the moto....some of the greatest riding in the country. Thanks again.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks sunvalleylaw for the insight. I was sorry to see those fires and heard about the greenhorn trail system being affected. So easy to just ride from the house. I will send you a PM for sure as the trip gets closer. We are staying in the adams gulch area so will be able to ride from the house. Since I haven't done the mtb trails around Ketchum any other insight or ideas would be appreciated. Will need to get back in late July and August to hit stanley basin with the moto....some of the greatest riding in the country. Thanks again.
If you are staying in the Adams gulch area, there is a ton of riding right out your door. During peak times, lunch etc. Sunnyside/Shadyside in Adams will have dog walkers, which is fine as long as you stay mellow and be courteous. Everyone is used to multi use. But beyond that, upper Adams, Fox, Oregon, Chocolate and others are right there, before you even get in the car to go anywhere else. Those trails can be connected in different ways to make all sorts of rides happen. Also, those trails were not hit by the recent fires. The trail damage was mostly, but not all, to the south of ketchum this time, with the old 2007 fire line protecting most of that northern area. East Fork Baker and Baker may be out, but I am not sure where the fire boundary was in that area. And as I write this, I realize that the ride in my avatar photo was burned as well I think. Bummer. But lots and lots of good riding is still available and as I said, a lot right out of where you are staying.

I will know more later so be sure to touch base with me as your trip approaches.

·
Registered
558 Posts
So what has been burned and what hasn't (I haven't been to Sun Valley since I was 10 years old.. so I don't really know names or places)... so just let me know - if I were to come up (is it worth it to come up) what should I ride that is actually going to be open in a month? Or is it mostly worthless after the fires?

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
So what has been burned and what hasn't (I haven't been to Sun Valley since I was 10 years old.. so I don't really know names or places)... so just let me know - if I were to come up (is it worth it to come up) what should I ride that is actually going to be open in a month? Or is it mostly worthless after the fires?
I'm curious about this too as I usually hit SV at least once a summer. An amazing area really and even though it took a big hit, there is still lots of riding and quality trails to slake your thirst.

Judging by your big ride thread in the Utah forum you should ride Pioneeer Cabin/Johnstone/Bear/Parker. BCRD Summer TraiLink - Pioneer Cabin/Johnstone/Bear/Parker
That has some of the best downhill singletrack on the planet. But you have to earn it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm curious about this too as I usually hit SV at least once a summer. An amazing area really and even though it took a big hit, there is still lots of riding and quality trails to slake your thirst.

Judging by your big ride thread in the Utah forum you should ride Pioneeer Cabin/Johnstone/Bear/Parker. BCRD Summer TraiLink - Pioneer Cabin/Johnstone/Bear/Parker
That has some of the best downhill singletrack on the planet. But you have to earn it.
That particular ride was completely untouched. What was primarily impacted was the Deer Creek area riding (including Wolftone, Kinsey, Deer Creek areas, south and west of SV), a good chunk of the Greenhorn area (including Greenhorn/Imperial, though some of Lodgepole/Mahoney and Cow Creek is back open), and a couple really rugged, not so well known rides further north up west like Prairie Miner (WRONG, did not burn), and the new Osberg trail. (yes, did burn. Who knows though, may still open)

So though some was impacted, there is still a ton of killer riding open. Adams, Chocolate, Fox, all the connectors in there, all of Galena most of the other riding between Galena and Ketchum/SV, except some of the stuff west of the highway as you head toward Galena. Oregon was spared as well. Also, all of Baldy was unaffected including the old and newly opening lift served stuff. Unclear about East Fork of Baker. I will have to find out. As I said, Prairie/Miner got burned (wrong, did not burn), as did the new Osberg Ridge trail. How soon some of that will open back up is unknown at this time. But, there is a lot of killer riding open and opening up in SV. Some is still melting out but we are nearly there. All of that Pioneer, Johnstone stuff, as I said, was untouched as it was east of the highway, and the burn was pretty much southwest of SV and Ketchum, with a little finger getting up north but still to the west of SV.

this BCRD map is a good resource. BCRD Summer TraiLink - Home

It is definitely worth coming up to ride as is, and the stuff we lost is being worked on hard by many dedicated folks to get it re-opened. If you have more specific trail questions, let me know and I will see what I can find out for you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Too bad about Prairie/Miner. That's one of my all time favorites up there...
HOLD THE PHONE!!!! I think I had that part wrong. So sorry, but this is great news. Looks like Prairie/Miner was spared. Further out Baker Creek road is a problem, but that was just the trail to Mill Lake, and Baker and Norton. I do NOT know if Baker and/or Norton lake areas actually burned, and am working on finding out for sure. But Prairie Miner DID NOT!!

I am going to confirm all of my research from the SNRA and the ranger's office and do a definitive thread about the fire issues, and link that thread here. Give me a day or so to get it done fully.

In the meantime, there is a ton of great riding open which was not burn affected at all. Anything east of Highway 75, Galena, over into Stanley area such as Fisher Williams and the like (was not even near it), Adams, Fox, Chocolate, Oregon, Trail/Corral Creek, Eve's, some of the newer trails west of Hailey, and I expect more to open up out there as time goes on, and etc.

The two big losses were Deer Creek region, and a big chunk of Greenhorn, though as I have said, parts of Lodgepole/mahoney and cow creek are already open again. So PLENTY of great riding gonna be happening this year. And as I said, I will get the definitive closure info up here so folks know.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's important to note- the scale of the BCRD site, BCRD Summer TraiLink - Home is HUGE. Most of the Closed (colored red) trails, west of Ketchum are 30-45 or more miles away and are not the MTB trails you want to hit (most are OHV trails).
^^ Good point. I have lived here full time since 1998 and have never attempted to get into some of those areas listed as closed, and I mountain bike several times a week and daily sometimes.

Also, some of those trails in the western interior, even if I was inclined to ride them, may be yet closed due to snow, rather than fire. I listed above the stuff that is normally ridden that was affected by fire.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Awesome - Thanks!

I am coming up in July with my wife. I think we will spend a day riding the resort and a day riding away from the resort (unless you recommend otherwise)

She has become a much better rider recently. She still won't hit drops larger than about 2 feet or try to clear jumps with a gap larger than a few feet, but she is riding much faster than she used to. She doesn't typically like to ride more than about 10 miles at a time, but she is willing to ride more than one trail in a day. She likes flow more than technical trails, but she would be bored out of her mind on too easy of trails.

From the looks of the videos online, I think she would like to ride Forbidden Fruit at least once. But other than that, I don't really know what trails exist in the SV area.

Is there a good trail guide that has photos/maps of trails somewhere?

Oh - she also sent me these photos and wanted to know what trails they were so that we could possibly ride them:

Any help and advice you can give would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Awesome - Thanks!

I am coming up in July with my wife. I think we will spend a day riding the resort and a day riding away from the resort (unless you recommend otherwise)

She has become a much better rider recently. She still won't hit drops larger than about 2 feet or try to clear jumps with a gap larger than a few feet, but she is riding much faster than she used to. She doesn't typically like to ride more than about 10 miles at a time, but she is willing to ride more than one trail in a day. She likes flow more than technical trails, but she would be bored out of her mind on too easy of trails.

From the looks of the videos online, I think she would like to ride Forbidden Fruit at least once. But other than that, I don't really know what trails exist in the SV area.

Is there a good trail guide that has photos/maps of trails somewhere?

Oh - she also sent me these photos and wanted to know what trails they were so that we could possibly ride them:

Any help and advice you can give would be awesome.

Thanks!
I day riding the resort in a day riding out of the resort is a good reasonable plan. The photos that you submit I believe are mostly from the Warmsprings trail from the top of Baldy. That ride can be ridden as a lift served ride or can be part of a larger up and down. I don't remember the total mileage offhand but I think it's It's more than 10 if you go up and down and there is significant elevation gain, 3,100 feet. It might be nice to go ahead and ride up to the top and ride down through all those trees that you see and most of the pictures. She would likely have energy for another short ride after that if you wanted to and you did it that way.

The fourth and fifth pictures (out in the open and not in the trees) I cannot particularly identify but could be on any number of rides in the area as it is fairly typical terrain.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Forbidden fruit is a fun flow trail with no mandatory errors but some good airs if you want them and a fun pedal up to it. Nice and shaded in the trees too. There is a time of other terrain and a lot of other choices and I can suggest others if you want. I would just need to know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Fourth and fifth pictures looks to be Fox Creek and Oregon Gulch area... Both of which should be rideable and untouched by last year's fires.

I day riding the resort in a day riding out of the resort is a good reasonable plan. The photos that you submit I believe are mostly from the Warmsprings trail from the top of Baldy. That ride can be ridden as a lift served ride or can be part of a larger up and down. I don't remember the total mileage offhand but I think it's It's more than 10 if you go up and down and there is significant elevation gain, 3,100 feet. It might be nice to go ahead and ride up to the top and ride down through all those trees that you see and most of the pictures. She would likely have energy for another short ride after that if you wanted to and you did it that way.

The fourth and fifth pictures (out in the open and not in the trees) I cannot particularly identify but could be on any number of rides in the area as it is fairly typical terrain.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Fourth and fifth pictures looks to be Fox Creek and Oregon Gulch area... Both of which should be rideable and untouched by last year's fires.
Could be. Fox, chocolate, Oregon etc. are really good places to ride right now. Do you happen to know if East Fork Baker or East Fort Baker over to Oregon will open this year? I know the burn ran right up to it. It is one of my June favorites when the flowers are really going off. That is one thing I want to try to figure out from the forest service and then report back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.